James May makes a P2 part

• RMweb Premium

Each to their own I guess,

I guess that does sum it up really. I've nothing against a P2 being built, it's a good project and a credit of the A1 Locomotive Trust that they're making such good progress. But personally I think it's pushing the other projects out of the public eye and that in my view is not a good thing. Yes of course those projects need to make their own publicity, but it can be difficult if the media focusses on the A1 Locomotive Trust with Tornado on the main line drawing the publicity its way.

It will also be the most powerful steam passenger loco ever built to run on the rails in this country and will probably by built and running in a fraction of the time that many of the other projects have taken by a team who have proved what they can achieve.

That is a vital part of the Trust's thinking. Mark Allatt has said on TV that its capability to get more bums on seats, by pulling longer trains, through more scenic regions, on a modern railway, is central to the financial equation to enable it to enjoy a healthy operational lifespan. 

The smaller new-build projects, while perhaps being more needed for their host railways' survival, as older types fall out of use, can't expect the countrywide interest among the general public that a promise of "coming to a mainline near you..." can generate.

The Nim.

Good news but I still think Prince of Wales is utterly the wrong name for a P2. The originals were all named for associations with the area between Edinburgh and Aberdeen. My suggestion for a new P2 name was Saint Margaret which I think ticks all the right boxes.

Cheers
David

• RMweb Premium

The original P2 class was built for working in Scotland and were given appropriate names. The new loco is not being built to work specifically in Scotland.

If the LNER had built more P2s for work, say, up and down the ECML, they would probably not have been given Scottish names.

If you look at the Peppercorn A1s, the names were drawn from several quite diverse sources, there is a precedent for this type of non conformity across the naming of whole classes. Likewise the A4s. Some Silvers, some Goldens, some countries, some birds and some people.

With the A1/A3 class, nearly all were named after racehorses but one (Manna) was re-named "Prince of Wales" in honour of the then Prince, who went on to become Edward VIII.

So having a class with mostly one theme of names and a "cuckoo" in the nest called Prince of Wales is entirely in keeping with LNER tradition.

Tony

I love how a piece of news turns in to pages of debate about a name. At least there is no debate on the colour....

I am lucky enough to be involved in the project and was there to see the first part constructed. For those who are interested, the group are carrying out some roadshows talking about the project over the coming months, starting in London at the Landmark Hotel on the 8th March. Keep an eye on the P2SLC website for details.

Its a very exciting project, keep your eyes open the latest news on the website.

Andy

post-1099-0-51045300-1393441472.jpg

post-1099-0-88975700-1393441486.jpg

post-1099-0-25750300-1393441499.jpg

Jonny777

I too used to subscribe monthly to the A1.In fact i am one of the first 100 to do so. Wasn't all that keen on the name ,but if it got it made quicker, then thats ok by me

However i ceased to contribute some years ago, as i thought the trust were ignoring the original supporters in favour of 'names' and money

First i was saddened that covenanters were not given a discount on the first run on the GCR, likewise no consideration was given to 'seniority' on booking seats for the first mainlne run, plus it was full fare

The last straw for me was the Top Gear run, that was for 'invited guests' only. Yes the Jolly boys outing.

now i would have paid to go on that, or even have been given the chance to decline the offer, but i was so far down the food chain,.......I did write expressing my disaapointment as having been involved since Day3!!!, but have not yet received the courtesy of a reply, now getting on for three years

So I stopped paying, on the grounds if they cant be arsed to reply i cant be arsed to pay!!!. They in turn stopped sending me the monthly? mags. (unless i paid them some money  each month)which once it was built held little for me as i was more interested in the build ( i am doing a 5in B17 at the moment) and all main line run details are available on the net.it  held litle interest to me anymore.

Likewise there are several new builds that may never see the light of day for many reasons, and i dont intend peeing my money into a bottomless pit, just to massage someone elses ego.

Good luck to them all, but sorry ,carry on without me. It appears  my money is not missed from either the A1 project or another one i subscribed to,as neither have bothered to enquire as to why i have ceased paying or if i am still drawing breath!!, so in a way i am not overly worried by my decision

I did work out that at todays prices one engine would take 3m to complete spread over 10 years, which works out at roughly 800 per day coming or 24k per month. As the average subscriber pays about £20.00pm each project would need 1200 members. Now the P2 project has had a lot of publicity it may well have hived off a lot of people from the other projects as they can point to the A1 and say look what we have already done.Where a lot of the others are still at the Frame stage only. The only other ones i can see running in the foreseeable future are the Patriot, and the G5 and F5 projects ( wont include the GWR new builds as they aremostly cobbled together from other locos, such is the GWR standardisation, which isnt such a bad thing. 

Whilst it may seem i am being a bit of a Jonah, it  cannot be further from the truth, i wish them all success but fear there will be lots of tears along the way

Sorry, but what connection did the LNER ever have with Wales, Prince of, or otherwise?  (Apart from D11 5508/2662 - the Great Cenral doesn't count).

If the builders must toady up to the monarchy, why not take another of Charles' titles - "Duke of Rothesay"?

Edit: Obviously I had overlooked that the LNER had two locomotives of the same name (after renaming of "Manna"), thanks to those who have pointed out the error of my ways.  My comments were intended tongue in cheek, congratulations to those building a new steam locomotive, and of course they have every right to call it what they like.

They were...Jingoism, I'm afraid.

Of ALL the styles of names in which they could have named an A1, and they go for one that isn't suitable.

Oh well, I suppose we are lucky to have these locos at all........

I was going to say the same thing myself ...... why is it that a thread about James May making the first part of the fantastic steam project almost straight away gets side tracked into an argument about why it should be called this that or the other . For Gods sake just be happy that positive people are prepared to embark on such a project of you moaning mini's to enjoy. :punish: now get a life

• RMweb Premium

In all walks of life there are those who get on with things, succeed against the odds and and really make us all sit up and take notice and there are those who will sit around telling the world where the others have gone wrong!

What the A1/P2 guys are doing needs to be looked at in the context of how the A1 started all those years ago. It was a few mates sitting round saying what a shame it was that no A1 had been preserved and so why not build a new one?

Turning that sort of dream and vision into a working locomotive was a magnificent achievement and the fact that the group behind it are still up for doing another one is even more remarkable. If I had spent all those years, all that money and all that emotional investment into building a loco, the last thing I would want to do is to start another one!

It is very easy to sit at a keyboard telling people "You shouldn't be doing it like that". It is quite another to take a project like that, which wasn't all plain sailing, to fruition.

So just for once, how about everybody either getting behind this wonderful project or if they don't like it, for whatever reason, just leave them alone to get on with it and keep their (generally very petty) gripes to themselves.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, but what connection did the LNER ever have with Wales, Prince of, or otherwise?  (Apart from D11 5508/2662 - the Great Cenral doesn't count).

If the builders must toady up to the monarchy, why not take another of Charles' titles - "Duke of Rothesay"?

See post 37

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely amazed about the moaning over a name. It could have "w****r express" written on the side for all i care when being presented with the chance to see and ride behind a seriously impressive machine! It doesn't matter what's written on the side of it, what matters is there will be a P2 tearing around the country.

If someone is prepared to put in the blood sweat and tears needed to build a full size loco from scratch then I can't help feeling they're entitled to call it whatever they like and even to paint it sky blue pink with purple spots if they want to (which fortunately they won't). It's not a preserved artifact. It's not a model of anything, It'll be their loco so surely Rule 1 applies.

Looking at how working main line steam in Britain compares with anywhere else in the world, which is basically riches beyond compare,  we've been incredibly well served by those prepared to dedicate themselves to this.

Archived