Didcot - Once In A Blue Moon feat 6023, 60007 & 60163 - 5&6 April

Paul.Uni

Hi Bulleidnutter,

Two reasons why not. Firstly she is just coming to the end of a repaint into GWR green with the lining in progress as we chat and secondly the Castles never carried the blue livery! There were just a few that wore the horrible experimental sort of apple green but with orange (or was it red?) and grey lining that never looked good on anything that was unfortunate enough to get it but it was just the 'Class 8 type' passenger engines that got the blue. One of the model manufacturers in the dim and distant past did a Castle in blue and I think this is where the myth that they carried it comes from.

All the best,

Castle

Hi Bulleidnutter,

Two reasons why not. Firstly she is just coming to the end of a repaint into GWR green with the lining in progress as we chat and secondly the Castles never carried the blue livery!

It's funny you should say that - one of the things I remember seeing on my first trip to Didcot (some years ago, when I was a nipper) is a Hawksworth tender being rubbed down and stripped of its GW livery. I'm fairly sure that this tender belonged to 5051, and so I must have made my first trip to Didcot around the same time the engine was being repainted into BR livery. It seems things have come full circle ...

Anyway, that was a long time ago (I'm a teenager now - how the years fly!) and this is hardly relevant. I'll try to get to Didcot for the 5/6 April, depending on circumstances (if not, there's always the RMWeb Members' Tour which I shall almost certainly be able to get to).

Hi Mr B.

The Hawksworth tender at Didcot is one of the few original GWR / BR(W) vehicles left. It actually 'belongs' to No.6998 Burton Agnes Hall but spent a lot of time in recent years with No. 5051. It was probably being stripped down for the Castle's last few years in ticket this time round. It is now back with the Hall and the Collett behind No. 5051 actually belongs to No. 4079 and is on loan while the matching tender for 'The Bathtub' is restored.

I hope I will see a few RMWEB types there on the 5th. I will be working on No. 4079 in the afternoon so please drop by and make yourselves known!

All the best,

Castle

Edit: Spellin'

Hi All,

I have just received the schedule for this event so if anyone is interested the day is as follows:

Gates will open at 9 am and the day will start with line-up of the three big blue beasties for photographic purposes.

The trains will be running all day with single and double heading. This will be the only chance to ride behind watch and photograph the three locos in BR Blue together for the foreseeable future. There will be a mixture of single and double heading with all combinations explored for the maximum amusement of patrons and volunteers combined. Well, if you have the toys out of the box, you have to play with them don't you?

GWR Diesel Railcar No. 22 will running on the branch line for a taste of something a little different. No. 22 is currently the sole operating example of the type and is great to see in action and take a ride on.

All the best,

Castle

While for obvious (and previously explained reasons) I can't make it to Didcot, I have a feeling this event will prove popular, as not only is it an unusual chance to see the engines together in a suitable environment, it is quite rare to see two ER engines so far in the West.

I wonder if someone could get a small diorama of the three engines as all recently manufactured by Hornby together for a 1/76th display at the event as well...?

Good luck with it all Castle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

We have had a couple of deliveries...

This hasn't been seen for a few decades - 3 BR blue express passenger locos together!

post-14393-0-21623500-1396592928_thumb.jpg

And what sort of tender would sir or madam like? We have a full range including three and four axle varieties, corridor and non corridor too!

post-14393-0-03803400-1396593069_thumb.jpg

I hope to see you there tomorrow!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

what time is the centre open til tomorrow?

im lodging in didcot tomorrow afternoon for a job in uffington on sunday so may well pop over if i can get my moneys worth, i should get to didcot about 2pm

Hi Jim,

Last entry is at 15:30 but we won't kick you out until about 18:00hrs - there is a photo charter on in the evening too so we will be able to let people hang around a little later than normal anyway as the official finish time doesn't apply because the volunteers and staff have to stay there anyway!

I hope 3 hours is enough - remember to poke your head in the works and see what myself and my gang are up to with No. 4079!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

i shall be there in the afternoon, staying in the travel inn at milton so i'll drop my gear off and head over (i'll have a colas jumper on if you see knocking about)

i'll be quite honest im more excited about having a ride on the railcar!!

Hi Jim,

Great stuff - No.22 is a great wee beastie. I have had a drive on numerous occasions and it is a wonderful thing. Do have a chat with the crews if you can and get them to show you how it all works - it is far more advanced than is generally realised. For example, No.22 still has all the multiple working gear and cables in the guards compartment and the gear pre selection and change system is a work of art. I would have loved to have had a ride / drive at high speed...

All the best,

Castle

We'll I'm leaving early in the morning to come up an see these blue machines!! Can't wait. Can't believe its over 12 years ago I came up to do the young volunteers week repainting the turntable! How time flys

Regards Neil

• RMweb Gold

managed to get there about 3pm after i left the RAC man fitting a new cam shaft sensor to the van in foxhall car park!!

just one pic from late in the day from the iphone......

met up with 'castle' who showed me round the workshops, saw the on going work being done on the various steam locos, must say i was particularly impressed with the 'saint', thats going to be something when its finished!

the 3 blue engines were very impressive, managed a ride behind tornado and gresley double headed and also had a go on the gw railcar which is an absolute beauty, to be honest one of the highlights for me!

loads more pics to follow when i finally get home at some point over the weekend to upload them from the camera chip

929012CF-FC9A-4191-ABCD-B297CE670803.jpg

2AD81AE2-6FB6-415D-B33E-CF75429AA46D.jpg

I reckon the picture of the delightful machine at the bottom was the best one Ray ;)

During our grand tour last year with Castle we got a close up inspection while she was in the carriage shed. It was nice to get a ride on her this year, the sound of those AEC engines bought back some fond childhood memories, unfortunately in a bus not a Railcar.

Ray.

Archived