Temeraire

On 16/05/2019 at 04:47, Temeraire said:

Hi Pete

Thanks for the congrats and I hope you and the missus are well. Yes still got a few appearances booked for Tidworth but nothing confirmed beyond the end of this year at the moment. However, there are plans afoot that may drum up some interest hopefully, watch this space!:wink_mini:

All good here Ian, will look out for your future plans. 

Cheers Peter.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for your loss Iain, I know how you must be feeling.

Is the track down permanently now? Just wondered if a cross over would be a good idea so passenger trains leaving Tidworth can cross back from the down to the up line, or a double cross over so freight arriving into Tidworth can do the opposite, or is that assumed to be further up the line out of sight?

And ive no idea why my laptop is now underlining everything (what have I touched).

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss Ian. My life changed when I lost my dad and my modelling, really helped me get through it. 

Good luck with everything and look forward to seeing some more progress.

Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Tempfix

Sorry for your loss. I've had a similar experience as Steve above. Modelling was something my dad got me into and what we shared most time on, so Sunday always a bit poignant. Hope this week goes as well as it can, and good luck with the extension.

Rich

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Just wondered if a cross over would be a good idea so passenger trains leaving Tidworth can cross back from the down to the up line, or a double cross over so freight arriving into Tidworth can do the opposite, or is that assumed to be further up the line out of sight?

Cheers Steve

The track is down permanent and wired up now although I've not updated that far here yet! The two tracks are not an UP and DOWN line as such, the right hand track being the 'mainline' and the left hand track a loop off it. The two are assumed to become one just beyond the bridge exit as the branch from Ludgershall is single line, its just a bit further now.:wink_mini: So run rounds will still be via the traverser as before.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

My condolences on the loss of your Dad, we only just kept my Dad over the last week when the hospital gave him conflicting drugs..

What has this to do with the Tidworth Layout? well Dad was one of the first pupils at Tidworth Down Secondary School, Now Castledown Acadamy, which backs onto the remains of the Tidworth - Ludgershall line. a few hundred yards from  Temeraire's abode..

Edited by TheQ
  • Thanks 1

On 14/06/2019 at 21:16, Temeraire said:

Evening all

So after radio silence for a month I thought it was maybe time to break cover with what I've been up to. :wink_mini:

Since the exhibition debut of Tidworth back in April 2015 my local RMweb 'friends' and operators have been telling me to extend it and I have resisted until recently. Tidworth has made 26 exhibition appearances now but these have dried up for next year, so I thought maybe an extension might generate some more interest?

4_Assemblycomplete_190228.jpg.8d3e44c14bf52a6545f508224c7b2cf9.jpg

So back in February I made another visit to the board cutting department of B&Q and a few days later I had another baseboard assembled to match the exisiting ones at 1400x600mm.

1711888753_5_Legsdown_190228.jpg.b00d0a0260a559ca459ce5842d96711d.jpg

Again this baseboard has its own set of folding legs with all the construction as before, and this one will bolt face to face with the traverser for transport.

9_Baseboardpainted_190311.jpg.656a8f1a84b552cd204e4b0bd80a5b7d.jpg

By March 11th the board had been primerd all over and a grey top coat on top.

So what am I doing with this new space?

The new board will have two MoD exchange sidings coming off the goods loop that then exit on to the traverser. Trains will run into Tidworth yard to run round as before, and then enter the sidings by setting back from the traverser. Hopefully this will give another point of interest on the layout and more operational possibilities for both viewer and operators. The additional benefits of this extension are the passenger trains get more of a run from traverser to platform (a whole 1400mm!). Also Tidworth yard can be shunted without the need for using the traverser as a headshunt and restricting passenger movements.

10_BaseboardUp_100329.jpg.cdbb13c39e1c20dae0bedb5aa4cf24ec.jpg

New baseboard in position between Tidworth and the traverser.

708785065_12_TracklaidEast_190414.jpg.56576a0a2893c4ea6314d8fec46164fb.jpg

By 14th April the track had been laid with the view above looking back from Tidworth with the MoD sidings on Left.

11_TracklaidWest_190419.jpg.7c17cd2307760d05a301ebe224b8f1db.jpg

Looking the other way you can see close up the new exit for the MoD trains.

I am a bit further on with this mini project now but I will add more as it progresses over the coming months. Tidworth's last appearance in its present form will be at New Milton in July before the bridge end is modified to join seamlessly with the new bit (hopefully), with the first appearance extended at Fareham the first week in October.

Unfortunately work has stopped over the last 10 days or so as I lost my Dad on the 4th and the funeral is this coming week after a no doubt difficult day on Sunday! Hopefully I'll be able to get things back on track next weekend all being well.

Sorry for your loss Ian, I had my Mum's Funeral last Friday, so I do know what you mean.

I do like the extra board mate, well worth doing, and now even more operation means more fun at Shows.

Keep well.

All the best,

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

34 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Already ordered half a dozen, but I already have five of the  Genesis ones!

Well done that man.  Empty rake, loaded rake....nice

• Agree 1

Great addition to the layout Ian and look forward to having a drive again one of these days when I'm in the country!

Hopefully it will allow me to so some shunting in the sidings without crashing in on the main line, although no doubt there are even more route numbers to remember (or forget).

Phil

• Like 1

• 1 month later...