Temeraire

Great layout thread  and some great rolling stock. I'm in the process of putting together some military trains myself but I am now really struggling to find and get hold of the great military vehicles that Airfix did until a couple of years ago, ( Bedford MK, Landrover 101s, Scorpion/Scimitar etc).

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for your comments, if you are 'in the know' should the Land Rovers have the spare on the bonnet do you know? They have been repainted from standard Oxford models but don't have the spare and I was thinking of getting another to use it's wheels.

Spare wheels moved around depending on role/year I think.

I had rovers with spares on the bonnet and others with it on the back door.

Some have it mounted on the side

• RMweb Premium

Great layout thread  and some great rolling stock. I'm in the process of putting together some military trains myself but I am now really struggling to find and get hold of the great military vehicles that Airfix did until a couple of years ago, ( Bedford MK, Landrover 101s, Scorpion/Scimitar etc).

Have a look at this supplier the Scorpions in my pics came from them.

http://sandsmodelsshop.com/product-category/post-war-modern-vehicles/20mm-172-post-war-british-vehicles/

• Like 1

Spare wheels moved around depending on role/year I think.

I had rovers with spares on the bonnet and others with it on the back door.

Some have it mounted on the side

Hi Ian, as Ess1uk has said it depends I suppose on the model and time period. The Land Rovers we had access to in the mid to late 90s had them on the bonnet. Was it the Wolf Land Rovers that had them on the side?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Wolf programme Landrovers were announced 1996.

The hard top versions have a fibreglass seamless roof no more leaks!!!

Note also, the air filters mounted on the side of the wing,  the side lockers. Military front bumper incorporating towing pin, they also have rear bumperettes ( as do almost all military landrovers)

post-15969-0-84188100-1475140358.jpg

post-15969-0-91937700-1475140766.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening gents

Thanks for your replies fellas. Tidworth is set around 1990 so those Land Rovers are a bit later, not being a Landy aficionado I'm not sure what the version is that I have but its the one with the 'inset' radiator, they just look like they should have the spare on the bonnet?

As for the tie downs I'm thinking they would have been chains in 1990 so I am going to experiment with an idea using wire, plus I need to come up with a soluton for the triangular chocks, I'll let you know how I get on. 

• RMweb Premium

Those are land rover series 2, long wheelbase (109inch), which were built before February 1969 at that date the headlamps moved out to the wings.

In 1983 the Land Rover 110 ( which I have) was launched as it's replacement renamed a Defender in 1989. This was the last body style and was produced till February this year.

So for a 1990s layout, those model Landrovers would be on their way, for disposal being 20 to 30 years old. For your railway period they should look like this ( though this is FFR, fitted for radio hence the wing boxes).

This link takes you to the Oxford diecast suitable models http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/search?q=Defender+army+1%2F76

post-15969-0-56817700-1475214589.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

Evening all

Recent workbench progress has been mainly of a military nature. The warflats have been painted and just require decals before permanently attaching the bogies and a final weathering. The loads can then be attached and further details added, probably after they appear as a work in progress at Uckfield. However I thought a few pics might be in order in the current state.

attachicon.gifMilitary2_260916.jpg

attachicon.gifMilitary1_260916.jpg

Two views of the warflats with the Scorpions and Land Rovers that have now had a first coat of paint.

attachicon.gifMilitary3_260916.jpg

Closer view of the resin moulded Scorpions from S and S models.

Hopefully this coming weekend I will put the layout up in the conservatory to carry out some works before Uckfield, but also in preparation for the visit of RMweb royalty from down under on October 12th! ;)

Hi Ian looking good chap  just a couple of  lil bits  the track pads on the CVRT   are rubber and will appear as black  the inside of the drive sprockets  would be silver ( the paint wore of after about  10 foot of travel. unless they are brand new they  would have the vehicle call sign painted ( usually in yellow)  on the side and the rear of the turret  http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/modern/images/cvrt%20001.jpg   regards Nigel

• Like 1

Those are land rover series 2, long wheelbase (109inch), which were built before February 1969 at that date the headlamps moved out to the wings.

In 1983 the Land Rover 110 ( which I have) was launched as it's replacement renamed a Defender in 1989. This was the last body style and was produced till February this year.

So for a 1990s layout, those model Landrovers would be on their way, for disposal being 20 to 30 years old. For your railway period they should look like this ( though this is FFR, fitted for radio hence the wing boxes).

This link takes you to the Oxford diecast suitable models http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/search?q=Defender+army+1%2F76

I got some of those Oxford ones, I'd really like some SAS pinky ones !

I agree with The Q.

Landrovers with headlights in the grill panel were Series 2 and would almost certainly have all been gone by 1990. After that came the Series 3 (you don't say) which had headlights in the wings and a plastic grill. These gave way in 83/84 to the 90 and 110 (which refers to the wheelbase) which were externally pretty much identical except for the wheel arch extensions to cover the longer (now coil sprung) axles. They also had a grill with all horizontal slats.

Most of these would have had spare wheels on the bonnet.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian looking good chap  just a couple of  lil bits  the track pads on the CVRT   are rubber and will appear as black  the inside of the drive sprockets  would be silver ( the paint wore of after about  10 foot of travel. unless they are brand new they  would have the vehicle call sign painted ( usually in yellow)  on the side and the rear of the turret  http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/modern/images/cvrt%20001.jpg   regards Nigel

Thanks Nigel for your tips but the scorpions weren't finished in the pics and have since had the black added as well as other weathering etc. What sort of numbers would the call signs be as  haven't noticed these in the pics I've seen? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks gents for the input on the Land Rovers all good stuff, I should have asked before I bought the current ones though eh? Never mind it just so happens I'll be passing Gaugemaster on Saturday morning and they have a stock of those later version ones. Anyone want to buy three used military Land Rovers, low mileage one careful owner?? ;)

By the way does anyone know how to get the worms back in the can? :P

• Like 1

On the idea of chaining down of vehicles, Langley models do chain tensioners which can be bought as individual items from them if you visit there stand at an exhibition. I have also seen eched ratchet strap tensioners on Ebay.

By the 90's, most vehicles were strapped down with strops, not chains. Easier to replicate with micro strip than miniature chains..

post-23643-0-94749200-1475263519_thumb.jpg

BTW, war flats look good.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks gents for the input on the Land Rovers all good stuff, I should have asked before I bought the current ones though eh? Never mind it just so happens I'll be passing Gaugemaster on Saturday morning and they have a stock of those later version ones. Anyone want to buy three used military Land Rovers, low mileage one careful owner?? ;)

By the way does anyone know how to get the worms back in the can? :P

Well Lulworth has the right ones if you need them in a hurry on loan ;) Just let me know before sunday ;)

Bet you wished you'd never asked......

I've seen a fair few call signs on these things. Usually kinda (21C) that sort of thing, and on occasion ( OC) - that's asking for a missile up the chuff.

Americans are more inventive with their armour , I liked " dark punisher " !

• RMweb Gold

Corgi do a Jackal (#49 model number) and landrover defender (#41 model number) which don't look to bad with a little work.

Jackal didn't enter service until the late 2000's, bit out of period for Tidworth unless Ian wants to go modern ;)

Thanks Nigel for your tips but the scorpions weren't finished in the pics and have since had the black added as well as other weathering etc. What sort of numbers would the call signs be as  haven't noticed these in the pics I've seen? 

there would be a shape  for the squadron  A  squadron was an equilateral triangle  then Digits numbers 0 would be squadron HQ  1  would be the 1st troop  2 the second   the second number is the number in the troop  1  troop IC  2  troop 2IC so triangle 0A   would be A squadron commander  triangle 22B would be A squadron 2nd troop Troop sergeant . if they  are vehicles being moved as part of a training exercise  then you would not split up  different squadrons / troops  

unless the vehicles are  being delivered from stores depot   then they will not have a call sign marked  just a registration number

i was in A squadron fitter section (reme) and my Sampson was Triangle 13B 

hope this helps  and makes sense

• Like 1

By the 90's, most vehicles were strapped down with strops, not chains. Easier to replicate with micro strip than miniature chains..

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

BTW, war flats look good.

To add to the information, different coloured strops were used for different sized vehicles. I used microstrip on Cottleston's Scimitars and then got muddled and painted them orange when they should have been red. The vehicles are chocked as well.

If you need some more information about military Land Rovers from the 1990s, try the ex military land rover association website. They have information about markings, camouflage and types of Rovers.

Cheers,

Ben.