Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to see the extension, By the looks of it you are reversing the real landscape by having a road overbridge rather than the rail over bridge over the Ludgershall road..

I would have thought by this time signal boxes would have been done away with , unless they were using it as a ground frame for entry to the Exchange sidings. I can't find a clear picture of the old MSWJR Cabin, though there might be one in the Wild  Swan Books, which I don't have to hand.

Ludgershall cabin was about the same size, Tidworth 26 levers,, Ludgershall 28 Levers,

Ludgershall cabin.. picture courtesy Swindons other railway / Alan jarvis.

aj5[1].jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Just finished loading Tidworth into the car for an early run down to the New Forest in the morning. If you're visiting the show in New Milton come and say hello and have a drive.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Just a quick thank you to Steve and his team for their hospitality at this weekends New Milton show, and to Mike and Rhys for their assistance and company. Tidworth was back home and unloaded by 6.30pm a lot quicker than expected with Sunday evening traffic through the New Forest!

So that's it for Tidworth in its current guise at shows, and I've now got two months to get the extension finished and the bridge end modified to join up before the next show in October in Fareham!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Morning all

Just a quick thank you to Steve and his team for their hospitality at this weekends New Milton show, and to Mike and Rhys for their assistance and company. Tidworth was back home and unloaded by 6.30pm a lot quicker than expected with Sunday evening traffic through the New Forest!

So that's it for Tidworth in its current guise at shows, and I've now got two months to get the extension finished and the bridge end modified to join up before the next show in October in Fareham!

It was a pleasure helping out Ian - I think the three of us make a good operations team, and I echo your words in that it was a great show with some very friendly people. Rhys and I had better get route learning again! :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all

So with the New Milton show out of the way, thoughts have turned to the extension and I thought I'd post some of the ideas that I'm working on.

17_WortingBridge.jpg.8c05d4a0aa56a7b6454207c1cd1afe80.jpg

For the exit to the traverser from the new board there will be two bridges. The first will span the two tracks from Tidworth and be loosely based on this bridge at Worting Junction, where a footbridge has been installed down the middle of a girder bridge. I guess at some point in history the bridge will have had a full deck.

bridge.jpg.88daac1a4222bd8032aa42b7a52768bf.jpg

The exit to the traverser for the MoD sidings will be based on this bridge at Chilmark.

19_Oakleybridge.jpg.7588c8e70371569bcc2d8ddd9bedf8b0.jpg

At the other end a footbridge based on this one in Oakley near Basingstoke, will be sited alongside the existing roadbridge of Tidworth, once the end of the station baseboard has been opened up to expose the rear of the bridge.

So there you go thats what I'm planning I just need to get on with it now to be ready for Fareham in October I hope!

18_Footbridgesides_190810.jpg.650191cb2a49430f1ae1ca81d37d9987.jpg

Whilst away on business this week, a start was made one evening in the hotel on the sides of the bridge.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Good work and some nice ideas Ian.

When I lived and worked down South, most of my Business meetings were based around Barnsley, and I stayed at Ossett, just up the hill from Healey Mills Yard, you can guess where I spent my evenings, haha.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, NSE DAZ said:

Hi Ian,

Seen you have been busy!! Looking good mate.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Cheers Darren

How you doing, still playing with buses?

"Now the proud owner of Croydon North Street in 00"  Isn't this a little out of date???:P

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Cheers Darren

How you doing, still playing with buses?

"Now the proud owner of Croydon North Street in 00"  Isn't this a little out of date???:P

Haha yeah well spotted!! Updated...

Yes the bus is going well thanks, this Friday I have owned her for 2 years! Going in for a full Wilts & Dorset re-spray this October!! 

PS I have a couple of the Dapol class 50's on order.........

Darren NSE DAZ

Edited by NSE DAZ
  • Like 4

Certainly looking forward to welcoming Tidworth to the 2019 Fareham RailEx on 5th & 6th October and thanks to Ian for putting a plug for us in your signature line.

To get a flavour of what else is coming to the show take a look at the thread I have running in the Exhibitions forum.

Highlights added to the RailEx thread so far include the MRC's "Copenhagen Fields", Yeovil's "The Summit" and P4 layout "Ferring".  Details of others will be added as I get a chance and can find details of them on the web or here on RMWeb so keep popping back every few days for updates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

Certainly looking forward to welcoming Tidworth to the 2019 Fareham RailEx on 5th & 6th October and thanks to Ian for putting a plug for us in your signature line.

To get a flavour of what else is coming to the show take a look at the thread I have running in the Exhibitions forum.

Highlights added to the RailEx thread so far include the MRC's "Copenhagen Fields", Yeovil's "The Summit" and P4 layout "Ferring".  Details of others will be added as I get a chance and can find details of them on the web or here on RMWeb so keep popping back every few days for updates.

Tidworth for best in show 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Very nice cuttings -  where do you get your celotex from?  What size sheets?

Hi, The Celotex I purchased from an online supplier in 8 x 4 sheets when I was insulating the shed, I'm just using up some offcuts I saved for the layout.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Been out in the shed again today so just a quick update to the state of play tonight.

642078754_42_Grasssky_190906.jpg.8e5fe2a703360c388f1d4fbe7404859e.jpg

The filler was first sanded a little and cleaned up, before the chalky bits painted white and the sky blue. Then Hanging basket liner stuck down as a base for further scenic work later.

43_Roadprogress_190906.jpg.6756cc70ec3b589f6c6da66e251c2ba9.jpg

Also the roadway has been built up with card and filler, and footpaths added from the site of the new footbridge down the road.

The rear side of the old bridge was also given a base coat of paint ready for further work next week. That's it for now as we are off away for a few days break, but I'm a bit happier that it might be presentable for Fareham!

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 17