Temeraire

Hi Ian, The new section is looking great.  You have certainly cracked on with it.

Hope you enjoyed Lyme Regis. It a great little town my Dad was born in Up Lyme so we used to go there quite often.

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, cromptonnut said:

Do you have a Hastings Unit?  Cos the real one is heading up the Ludgershall branch this afternoon on a railtour.

Not a Hastings unit but a thumper! Just spent an hour watching the tour visit various parts of the MoD sidings. There was one of the shunters out of the shed as well, didn’t even realise there were any still here!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've got a Thumper too - would love a Hastings unit but my kitbuilding skills are too much of a risk for the cost of the thing.

I went out to video it, and annoyingly my phone threw a wobbly and lost all the footage I got at Abbots Ann and Red Post.  I had a lovely shot lined up for the bridge over the A342 and after 20 minutes of waiting the yappy dog finally got bored and went away, then I found I had no footage so went home in a huff.

Wondered quite what they were going to do up there for an hour, didn't realise there was anything still left there.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Just browsing Youtube this morning and came across this footage of last weeks visitor to Ludgershall it's worth a look.  Off soon to Swansea with Mike and 'Oak Road' for the exhibition see you there?

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Morning all

Just browsing Youtube this morning and came across this footage of last weeks visitor to Ludgershall it's worth a look.  Off soon to Swansea with Mike and 'Oak Road' for the exhibition see you there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkSyQdU4e28

Out of interest what stock will Oak Road be running at Swansea?

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Morning all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkSyQdU4e28

Well I recognised Andover, Ludgershall has changed.. where did all that fencing come from? There used to be a public foot path from near those gates across the tracks to just the Civi station side of the back of the Catholic church then across the doctors meadow to the path down the side of the C of E church..

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2019 at 23:19, Temeraire said:

Evening all

So work has been progressing this week as the Fareham date looms very large!!

1993730454_49_Bridgeend_190926.jpg.5fa7e222b01ba8b827949da0fe24627e.jpg

Evenings this week have mainly featured going boss eyed constructing all the fencing for the MoD compound.

50_Footbridgeend_190926.jpg.565e1403336d865b5aa75f1678204507.jpg

All now done having threaded 6 wires through the posts and then attaching the mesh.

51_Fencecloseup_190926.jpg.a67755ddb4fbf7044449b05c78088c8b.jpg

Closeup of the fence after the 'orangey' rust was toned down this afternoon.

53_Footbridgeweathered_190927.jpg.bedb058e469cd66cb2240c399f13bedc.jpg

The footbridge was weathered today, the deck fixed in place and a bit of weedage added along the inner edges. Once this was done the bridge was finally fixed permanently in position on the layout.

52_Pathbridge_190927.jpg.bb57775abce5e858ee2a11f4f2fdf3fa.jpg

Also the two bridges at the other end were permanently fixed in place and the footbridge added to the old girder bridge based on the one at Worting Jct.

1436514843_54_Footbridgescenicstart_190927.jpg.6ce346de90f7fabc2699afe6b0ca16be.jpg

Finally this evening before dinner a start was made on adding the greenery.

Still lots to do but moving in the right direction.

That's looking great Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2019 at 14:39, Temeraire said:

One of the military shunters outside the shed with lights on, although I didn't expect the Purple paint job! I guess it was brought outside for the benefit of the punters on the train?

Is that one of the Steelman Royales from Bicester?

Edit:, just found this photo on Flickr of one on the East Kent Railway:

01546 East Kent Railway 210517

Edited by Ian Morgan
added photo link
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

. The main things still needed to be done are . . . . a pair of gates at the entry to the MoD sidings

So just need a couple of soldiers on guard duty for now ;) 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Technically from the sidings to the yard is within station limits so the shunter could be on the ground doing it making the van optional, but the moves up the MOD line would definitely need one. 

The line past the MOD is actually the station loop, not mainline, that ends just off scene under the bridge. Chances are the van would be dumped in the loop while the loco dropped off inbound and then shunted the outbound traffic back on if departing immediately. 

• Informative/Useful 2