Temeraire

• RMweb Premium
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 00:23, Iron Horse said:

Cool Ian, thanks for sharing :sungum: Now don't go going all modern on us now.......the last time I was at Andover I was bashing 50's :D

The last time I stood on thse platforms there was a Warship going by.... Still in service...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Having seen this previously and now at the Taunton show, I agree the extension adds a great deal to the layout and gives the MoD trains a real reason to be reversed in the station area. Definitely good to see.

One comment, I would have thought about putting a crossover on the extension board. Any locos running round have to go all the way into the fiddle yard which seems a very long way now.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

, I would have thought about putting a crossover on the extension board. Any locos running round have to go all the way into the fiddle yard which seems a very long way now.

You’re not the only one to say it, a couple of the operating crew did too as Ian was building it but there’s a good reason  ;)

My fault’ as technical advisor ;) as Ian and I agreed while it worked for a model railway it would be unlikely on the real thing as the end of the loop is just beyond the bridge and it also squeezed the exchange sidings too much to bring the loop point back on scene. So he went for a more realistic long loop that can accommodate large military trains when needed for major deployments. Beyond the bridge it goes into the single line so you wouldn’t put in a second crossover to save 30 seconds on a branch line it’s not economical  ;) 

I’ve volunteered to do a signalbox diagram to show that when I have time. 

The crew also thoroughly enjoyed the extension as it offers more operation and great views so thanks Ian it keeps getting better! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

You’re not the only one to say it, a couple of the operating crew did too as Ian was building it but there’s a good reason  ;)

My fault’ as technical advisor ;) as Ian and I agreed while it worked for a model railway it would be unlikely on the real thing as the end of the loop is just beyond the bridge and it also squeezed the exchange sidings too much to bring the loop point back on scene. So he went for a more realistic long loop that can accommodate large military trains when needed for major deployments. Beyond the bridge it goes into the single line so you wouldn’t put in a second crossover to save 30 seconds on a branch line it’s not economical  ;) 

I’ve volunteered to do a signalbox diagram to show that when I have time. 

The crew also thoroughly enjoyed the extension as it offers more operation and great views so thanks Ian it keeps getting better! 

So does that mean the next extension is where it drops to single line and the MoD line expands?.... ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Time to catch up with posts here!

First though a big thank you to Steve and his team for their hospitality this weekend at the excellent Taunton Exhibition, myself and the team enjoyed it immensely! To the 'team' Mike, Paul, Chris and Rhys thanks for your company and assistance (again) fellas.

As usual I failed to take any pictures myself but I see Phil has covered most angles above! Thanks Phil.:clapping:

On to the subject of crossovers! :banghead::sarcastichand: 

During the planning phase discussions were had regards the inclusion of a crossover or not and also bringing the end of the 'loop' on scene or not. Creating the end of the loop before the bridge would have shortened the MoD sidings to be too short to be useful and look silly. More importantly it would have restricted the length of headshunt for Tidworth yard, which was one of the main reasons for the extension to allow shunting without use of the traverser. Also as it is assumed that the loop ends just beyond the bridge there wouldn't have been the justification for a crossover as Paul said above.

Lastly THERE WILL BE NO MORE EXTENSIONS! I can't get a fag paper in the loaded car now so no room for anymore baseboards. :wink_mini:

Tidworth has no more confirmed exhibitions now until Worthing next September so plenty of time to get more done on the extension.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I'm assuming the bus on the bridge is the number 8 from Andover to Salisbury ( or back) :D.

The layout does look better with the extension,  I'm sure the real railway would have done better if the war department had allowed the joining of the Tidworth and Bulford.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

I'm assuming the bus on the bridge is the number 8 from Andover to Salisbury ( or back) :D.

The layout does look better with the extension,  I'm sure the real railway would have done better if the war department had allowed the joining of the Tidworth and Bulford.

Thanks Q, yes the bus is the number 8 but this one turns around at Tidworth.:wink_mini:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Lastly THERE WILL BE NO MORE EXTENSIONS! I can't get a fag paper in the loaded car now so no room for anymore baseboards:wink_mini:

Get somebody to help bring it with a second car? ;)

I'll get my coat...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1