Temeraire

• RMweb Gold

Yep though it stretches the under construction label. Mind you seeing Scott, Nigel, Kevin, Phil and you doing a layout building demo certainly has entertainment possibilities :)

The Wimborne show is still known by some of us for 'The Wimborne Jigsaw Massacre' when the 30 ft long Isle of St George 009 had to be altered as two of the four modules had misunderstood the track height bit! People are careful with their Mickey taking when the person trying to make it work has power tools ;)

• Like 2

great back story Ian.

my layout when it finally makes it to construction is around the same area for the same reasons, spent too much of my time on the ranges round there and driving through between different garrisons.

look forward to your progess, might make me get on with mine eventually! :)

I was drawn to this thread by the name, as I'm just in the process of checking all my equipment ready for tomorrow, when I will be competing in the Dorset and Wilts Indoor Archery Competition at the Tidworth Leisure Centre. I will certainly take more notice of my surroundings now I know there's a railway connection! I will watch the progress of this layout with interest.

Arthur

There is very little of the railway infrastructure left I'm afraid.  At the top of Station raod there are two brick built gate posts remaining, plus the railway cottages.  If you go over to the camp side of the valley there is a small cutting next to the RC church in St Patrick's road which was part of the railway.  At the junction of Meerut Rd and the A338 there is part of the old embankment covered in undergrowth - this can also be seen at the leisure centre entrance.

• RMweb Premium

OK its been a week with no update, Andy P is putting me to shame with his progress on Kingsley!

However the first of three baseboards has been constructed during this week and just requires the legs attaching. There won't be any progress this weekend though as I'm busy playing trains on Warren lane at the Basingstoke show, so evenings this week should see more sawdust created and hopefully something resembling baseboards. I'll try for a pic or two before it gets too dark for photos in the conservatory. 

• Like 3

OK its been a week with no update, Andy P is putting me to shame with his progress on Kingsley!

However the first of three baseboards has been constructed during this week and just requires the legs attaching. There won't be any progress this weekend though as I'm busy playing trains on Warren lane at the Basingstoke show, so evenings this week should see more sawdust created and hopefully something resembling baseboards. I'll try for a pic or two before it gets too dark for photos in the conservatory. 

Don't worry Ian, I move House on the 19th and then its almost a total re ferb, then I need to build my Potting Shed so by the end of March I'm sure you will be well past me mate. hhaha

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

so by the end of March I'm sure you will be well past me mate. hhaha

Not so sure about that, although a little progress made tonight with another set of legs made up and other bits screwed and glued ready for assembly into the second baseboard. I hope to have both of the scenic boards built and stood on their legs by this time next week.

Can we expect a small container terminal at Tidworth!

NO, NO, NO!!! ;) 

• RMweb Premium

I've just been wandering around  the National library of Scotland link that some one else has put up elsewhere,  and it has some fantastic mapping. I know you are doing a modified possible layout of Tidworth as it could have been now, but this link takes you to (I hope)  a very accurate map of Tidworth 1926, which may help..

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101580052

the Q

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

The main centre baseboard is up on its feet as I speak and its scenic companion is on its back whilst some glue dries, tomorrow night should see them paired up and ready for a pic. With any luck I hope to get the traverser board made up over the weekend, although don't hold me to that!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian, sounds like you are making good progress. So can we expect track down on Sunday and a test run on Monday?!!

Hi Alex,

I think you have me confused with Andy P, I haven't got any track to put down yet! Also I want to get a coat of paint on the boards first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

After adding a retaining strap to the country end baseboard leg when I got home tonight the two baseboards were assembled for a pic or two.

6_CentreFlat_140314.jpg.0822230d21e335841c405cb933543a7c.jpg

This is the centre of the three boards and it has two sets of legs that fold away for transit and storage.

7_CentreStanding_140314.jpg.d8e00832ba3def0dfe047cd8c5fdcae2.jpg

The same board up on its feet.

8_CountryOnend_140314.jpg.5ecc5babb0b2e580867e2ab63f53f058.jpg

Country end board with one set of legs.

9_CountryPiggyback_140314.jpg.dc37ad66253564306525a9bffbf75325.jpg

Country end now piggybacked onto the centre baseboard.

11_Planlaidout_140314.jpg.47435f812d8bf907b4aa4ee0065e6430.jpg

View down the layout from the country end with the plan laid out, there will be backscene boards added to the left hand side soon, and a hole in the far end for the exit to the traverser!

5_2boards_140314.jpg.1f72648b0f2383e6d49e99641787bb5c.jpg

A few minutes later and its all down and the boards positioned face to face to show how they will be stored and transported.

So just the Traverser board to build now, hopefully on Sunday.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 9

Hi Ian that looks to be a very good start.

Is that going to be the total height of the backscene or have you got plans for a higher one ? The higher the better in my book.

My adventures in railway modelling in any scale seems to be coming to an end but I will still enjoy viewing the better calibre of modelling of which, this should be.

Cheers,

Matt.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian that looks to be a very good start.

Is that going to be the total height of the backscene or have you got plans for a higher one ? The higher the better in my book.

My adventures in railway modelling in any scale seems to be coming to an end but I will still enjoy viewing the better calibre of modelling of which, this should be.

Cheers,

Matt.

Cheers Matt

Yes that will be the full height of the backscene I'm afraid, one of the compromises so the layout only takes up a certain space when stored, as well as fitting into my car rather than need a hire van. Shame to hear you've abandoned all modelling now, does this mean you are breaking up Hallenby?

• RMweb Premium

Evening chaps,

Well amazingly I did what I hoped and got the traverser built this weekend, although it was finished this morning whilst waiting for a couple of visitors to Exford Park (remember that ;) ). I've also acquired the points required from Redbrook Maritime so I just need about 24 metres of track and its game on!

Not the best pics but you get the idea.

13_Traverser_170314.jpg.be48c9ef49302faf8619be8537c22b17.jpg

Looking from the viewing side the traverser is in position so that the rear two roads line up with the exits from the scenic boards.

14_TraverserRear_170314.jpg.4e97c5edee806b9d7fa474cccf7fe86d.jpg

Traverser now pulled back so that No 7 road lines up with the furthest exit track.

12_FYexit_170314.jpg.af9555d9021471ab519ea3524cbd73fa.jpg

View of the hole cut into the backscene for the exits.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 10

In the photo of the boards stacked face to face, it appears that the end pieces of ply have to overlap which they don't quite do accurately. Are you concerned that adding a permanent backscene board to the back edge will compromise the angle of the end boards the way it is? (By that I mean that there will be stress at the back corner as the end board flexes over the other end board in the stacked position.) Or are you going to pack the bottom so that the problem goes away when storing the boards?

I really wish I had built my boards using this technique now. I have separate diorama boards sitting on separate bases. Each base has two legs and associated hardware which has over-complicated the whole design and made it much heavier as well. The heavier the mass you are moving, the more likely to sustain damage in my experience.

• RMweb Premium

In the photo of the boards stacked face to face, it appears that the end pieces of ply have to overlap which they don't quite do accurately.

Hi Ian

That photo was just 'posed' and the bits of ply you are talking about (I think), are the end plates which will be bolted to the ends of the baseboards for transit eventually. At the time of the pic I hadn't (and still haven't) drilled bolt holes or clearance holes for the cabinet dowels that's why it doesn't all line up square. Once I've added all the backscene boards and done the necessary work on the end plates I'll post another pic with the boards ready for transit.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Alex

I am quite surprised and pleased at how well the baseboards have come out myself, as I've not used ply before and certainly not attempted a traverser before. I think the next move is to get the rest of the backscene boards fitted and the shroud for the traverser plus the end transit boards, followed by a coat of paint to seal all the wood.