The London Festival of Railway Modelling 2014 - March 22/23

BRMExhibitions

• RMweb Premium

Even simpler than a 'roundy-roundy' layout is the one built by my local club and exhibited at our exhibition last year. A length of track without points and the train working automatically in and out of the platform. This layout proved to be a 'hit' with both families and modellers alike. The layouts name is Aldwych and it is based on the Tube station of the same name, the train is a motorised EFE 1938 tube stock. 

For those who would like to encourage youngsters to have a go at exhibitions, but are worried about the possibility of a semi-supervised "Drag race" taking place with their expensive locos - I'd suggest a read of this -   http://www.tslrr.com/cabsmpl1.htm  - simple, cheap to make, goof-proof, you set speed maximums, and the look on the faces, when "they" operate is worth the slight trouble - it also makes a darn good switching (shunting) controller for adults!  You'll see my two version here (fourth item down the page http://www.carendt.com/scrapbook/page75a/

*The Timesaver is a bit odd. John Allen apparently built it as a game for his operators to challenge themselves with after sessions on the G&D. It is a very artificial track layout but seems to have become the one and only Official American Switching Puzzle. Other switching challenges are available and I rather prefer something like Paul Gittins' Peforia Narrows (5ft  x 9inches) http://www.tvnam.co.uk/layouts1.htm

"But" again, I've never seen a track layout like that over here either...whereas you can find prototype "Inglenooks" all over.

It does, however, look useful for "Demo" purposes - as does the Allen layout - I never really meant for it to be built as a first "home" layout.

One of the assumptions for a simple UK based layout always seems (to me, anyway) to be a passenger station - you can have just as much fun without one. It just takes up a lot of space.

Again, these are just my views and I'm aware of exceptions (particularly Freight only UK layouts).

Best, Pete.

Thanks Karl,

Never heard of that one before........by the way, , good to meet you at Ally Pally.

Bob

Good to meet you too.

I have built two timesavers over the years, one in N and one in OO - I thoroughly enjoy operating them and when I've shown them the reception has always been very positive.

• RMweb Premium

One of the assumptions for a simple UK based layout always seems (to me, anyway) to be a passenger station - you can have just as much fun without one. It just takes up a lot of space.

Again, these are just my views and I'm aware of exceptions (particularly Freight only UK layouts).

Best, Pete.

Or only model a "half station" - I only have the platform ends and part of the roof at one end of New Bryford. The rest of the station is off-scene. Not a "timesaver", but a "spacesaver"!

Edit: Forgot to mention that Blackmill is only a half-station layout as well.

Cheers,

Mick

Hello

My layouts tend to fall into the 'Time-waster' category.

Cheers 

George

Archived