The London Festival of Railway Modelling 2014 - March 22/23

BRMExhibitions

This year we have an RMweb meeting area in the cafe by the Grand Organ.

I am arranging to meet up with a few members, so this maybe sorts the meeting place for us.

Will it be clearly obvious that it is a meeting point for RMweb "Members"....i.e. will it be signed accordingly.

I will choose my own time to meet up ......... but many would possibly prefer a stated time just to meet up randomly with other members.??

I think this is quite important for many members........and they look forward to a timed get together.

Bob

Wonder if the 'no photography' signs from last year have been dug out and dusted down ready to cause a storm  :jester:

You should find that the signs will ask vistors to ask permission from the layout owner before taking pictures.

• RMweb Gold

This year we have an RMweb meeting area in the cafe by the Grand Organ.

I am arranging to meet up with a few members, so this maybe sorts the meeting place for us.

Will it be clearly obvious that it is a meeting point for RMweb "Members"....i.e. will it be signed accordingly.

I will choose my own time to meet up ......... but many would possibly prefer a stated time just to meet up randomly with other members.??

I think this is quite important for many members........and they look forward to a timed get together.

Bob

OK - not the bar - so it sounds like alcoholic beverages might be off the menu - fair enough.

I've never seen any signage for RMweb members' meetings - same goes for informal meetings organised for other forum sites - the key thing is to ensure that a place is chosen that's easy to find.

As for time, I don't think anything's been said - however, it would probably be best to go for some time when things are relatively quiet. The "MRL Theatre" schedule might give some clues about suitable times:

Watch the BRM Boys’ demonstrations at the MRL Theatre

Here is the schedule for the day...

11.00am – 11.45am: What RMweb can do for you! By Andy York

Is what it says on the tin!

12.00pm – 12.45pm: The Great Train Robbery by Nigel Adams

Our guest speaker talks to us about the creation of this prolific point in time diorama.

2.30pm – 2.45pm: Building BRM’s Beginner’s Project Layout: How I built Edgeworth by Phil Parker

The Edgeworth build process has been serialised in BRM magazine’s January, February and March issues, giving readers step-by-step advice on how to build their own version of Edgeworth.

This is the perfect talk for modellers who want advice on building their first layout, or are looking for easy, practical advice to enhance their current layout.

3.00pm – 3.45pm: Building Peneanmawr in O gauge by Howard Smith

Take a seat and follow how BRM’s Staff Writer Howard Smith is making progress with the build of his O gauge project layout based on a real location. Penmaenmawr set in the mid-90s aims to keep people entertained with a busy mainline location and adjacent ballast loading facility.

OK - I'm slightly suspicious about the start time for Phil Parker's talk - although it's not shown on the show website, my guess is that this talk is rather more likely to start at 1400 hrs (or 2.00 pm in 12 hr format).

If I'm right, this would give about 1 1/4 hours between the "Great Train Robbery" and "Edgeworth" talks - plenty of time for a meeting.

Unless anyone's got a better idea, it sounds like 1300 hrs (1.00 pm) might be a sensible choice of start time for a meeting.

We don't seem to have those any more, which is a shame.  Andy Y's talk would be a good place and time for us to meet.

How will we recognise you, Huw?  I recall vaguely that you are wary of name badges ... 

Chris

The talk's aimed more at those not familiar with what RMweb is/can do but I have no objection to the usual hecklers showing up!

Andy - I was thinking along similar lines. A number of us have been here for a number of years - 4 years, in my case - so we're not really the target audience.

However, I'd imagine that a few RMweb members somewhere in the area might not be a bad thing - even if it's just to provide someone to bounce questions off. It might also demonstrate that most of us are just decent, approachable, down-to-earth people - basically, much like the sort of people that you're trying to attract to the site.

I'll obviously leave this to your judgment - but I suspect that a few references to "RMweb Live" might also be pertinent.

While I think of it, I don't know if there's any way you'd be able to put some "official" RMweb members' badge artwork somewhere in a "members only" area of this site - it might come in useful for "RMweb Live" and various other shows at which the BRM team and RMweb have a presence.

Chris - In the last few years, I've visited a number of engineering trade shows - all of which have issued me with name badges. (I've still got some of them.) In the absence of an "official" RMweb badge, I've been known to turn up to model railway exhibitions with a couple of trade show badges in my pocket, just in case anyone actually wishes to know who I am. Various people here (Andy included) would probably be able to confirm that I haven't really had a lot of call for these badges during RMweb meetings - whenever anyone "new" turns up, there's usually a round of introductions.

(This assumes, of course, that introductions are actually needed - as quite a few of the people who turn up for these meetings have also done the same at previous shows.)

All of this actually suits me, as I've never really been a fan of name badges - however, if various people here are trying to interest non-members in giving the site a go, my position might need to change.

As for recognising me, I don't think you'll have any problems - partly because of all the introductions - partly because we were both at a RMweb meeting at a previous "Warley" - in other words, I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, I think that's enough from me for now.

Regards,

Huw.

Andy - I was thinking along similar lines. A number of us have been here for a number of years - 4 years, in my case - so we're not really the target audience.

However, I'd imagine that a few RMweb members somewhere in the area might not be a bad thing - even if it's just to provide someone to bounce questions off. It might also demonstrate that most of us are just decent, approachable, down-to-earth people - basically, much like the sort of people that you're trying to attract to the site.

I'll obviously leave this to your judgment - but I suspect that a few references to "RMweb Live" might also be pertinent.

While I think of it, I don't know if there's any way you'd be able to put some "official" RMweb members' badge artwork somewhere in a "members only" area of this site - it might come in useful for "RMweb Live" and various other shows at which the BRM team and RMweb have a presence.

You're right; it's about time I pulled my finger out on that score so I've knocked up something if anyone wishes to make use of them over the weekend.

RMweb_namebadge.jpg

I've also uploaded it as a .psd file if anyone wants to Photoshop in their avatar/name.

RMweb_badge.psd

As I say I'm happy for existing members to come along to the chat and I may even try and pose an audience question on here live during the talk to demonstrate how it works; that's brave!

Howard's talk will start at 14.00 so the theatre seats will be available during that lunchtime slot if anyone does wish to meet up there.

is it true what I heard, that Hornby are not going to be there this year?

That's correct; Hornby curtailed their exhibition attendance between the start of this calendar year and the end of their financial year at the end of March.

Can you do anything with that in our own image editor Andy ?

It's possible Robin; I've just tried it, adding text is easy enough and you can open your avatar image as a new layer and size that to fit in the box. Then save and print.

Watch the BRM Boy’s demonstrations at the MRL Theatre

Here is the schedule for the day...

11.00am – 11.45am: What RMweb can do for you! By Andy York

Is what it says on the tin!

12.00pm – 12.45pm: The Great Train Robbery by Nigel Adams

Our guest speaker talks to us about the creation of this prolific point in time diorama.

2.30pm – 2.45pm: Building BRM’s Beginner’s Project Layout: How I built Edgeworth by Phil Parker

The Edgeworth build process has been serialised in BRM magazine’s January, February and March issues, giving readers step-by-step advice on how to build their own version of Edgeworth.

This is the perfect talk for modellers who want advice on building their first layout, or are looking for easy, practical advice to enhance their current layout.

3.00pm – 3.45pm: Building Peneanmawr in O gauge by Howard Smith

Take a seat and follow how BRM’s Staff Writer Howard Smith is making progress with the build of his O gauge project layout based on a real location. Penmaenmawr set in the mid-90s aims to keep people entertained with a busy mainline location and adjacent ballast loading facility.

Hi,

Are these talks on both days please?

Thanks

Tom

What about a badge for layout owners to display on a layout at exhibitions? The 3mm Society supply them for members.

I will try to use the the .psd file Andy Y posted earlier to create something to display on Sabins End at Ally Pally this weekend.

• RMweb Premium

What about a badge for layout owners to display on a layout at exhibitions? The 3mm Society supply them for members.

I will try to use the the .psd file Andy Y posted earlier to create something to display on Sabins End at Ally Pally this weekend.

I'll be on stand 28 - there may be a bit of a clue in the layout name!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The talk's aimed more at those not familiar with what RMweb is/can do but I have no objection to the usual hecklers showing up!

Perhaps someone from Dapol could wander along to listen ?

Other manufacturers are available.

Seriously though, a number of manufacturers have come in for flak over the last few years - some for models that aren't quite in line with people's wishlists - some for chassis that swell / break - some for models that should have been "retired" years ago still being sold as full price lines - some for prices that are perceived as unaffordable or unrealistic.

Personally, I wish that all manufacturers would actively engage with - and listen to - their customers.

Whether they choose to do so is for them to decide. How many suggestions (and which ones) they decide to take on board is also for them to decide.

Whether we (as potential customers) choose to buy their products (and pay their prices) is for us to decide.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry; you're right - we put Phil on to wake people after lunch, or so they can carry on eating.

If you are going to try eating - beware, I WILL steal your cake.

Ouch!!

This is Relentless ... sorry, that's just a brand of energy drink some people use to wake themselves up during seminars.

I'm not joking, either - having seen it with my own eyes at some trade shows.

What I'm not saying is whether I've seen people drinking - or just the edge of a can, partly hidden by my nose.

You might well have your own thoughts on this issue - I could not possibly comment.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

You're right; it's about time I pulled my finger out on that score so I've knocked up something if anyone wishes to make use of them over the weekend.

attachicon.gifRMweb_namebadge.jpg

I've also uploaded it as a .psd file if anyone wants to Photoshop in their avatar/name.

attachicon.gifRMweb_badge.psd

As I say I'm happy for existing members to come along to the chat and I may even try and pose an audience question on here live during the talk to demonstrate how it works; that's brave!

Many thanks for the badge artwork - it will come in very useful.

I'm actually worried that you might have taken my comments as a criticism - they certainly weren't intended that way. I know you're very busy - so anything like this is greatly appreciated.

The "audience question" idea sounds very brave - as there's no guarantee that any RMweb member who's in a position to give a sensible answer will be logged on at the time. In fact, it might be quite a while before there's a response - but this might act as an incentive for some of the audience to visit the site a number of times over the following days.

It's also possible (if unlikely) that some RMweb members within earshot might actually be in a position to answer some questions on the spot - which might give a different (probably unwanted) angle.

Saying that, I'd imagine that the real purpose behind your idea is to demonstrate the site in action - much like some of the product demos you sometimes see on programmes like "Dragon's Den" - and I'd actually expect this to have a good probability of working.

Anyway, that's enough from me.

I'm looking forward to the show - and I'm looking forward to meeting everybody on Saturday.

Regards,

Huw.

• Administrators

Phil Parker will be at the show, displaying the BRM Project layout 'Edgeworth' from the January, February and March issues of the magazine.

He'll also be showing some of his other projects that have appeared in the magazine, including his new 'Pizza Layout' from the current issue (April - www.brmm.ag/BRMdigi) and next month's magazine. Here's a picture of the finished product.

post-14186-0-95658800-1395306512.jpg

You'll find Phil in the West Hall, next to the BRM stand.

• RMweb Gold

Phil Parker will be at the show, displaying the BRM Project layout 'Edgeworth' from the January, February and March issues of the magazine.

He'll also be showing some of his other projects that have appeared in the magazine, including his new 'Pizza Layout' from the current issue (April - www.brmm.ag/BRMdigi) and next month's magazine. Here's a picture of the finished product.

attachicon.gifFinished Pizza 1.jpg

You'll find Phil in the West Hall, next to the BRM stand.

Will he add mozarella as a special for Ally Pally?

hat, anorak .. etc

• RMweb Premium

Don't know whether it's common knowledge but 'Britannia' will be departing from Kings Cross at 0930 on Sunday! EMUs take about 15 minutes to get to Alexandra Park as a guide time. UK Mainline Steam 2014 website refers.

Archived