For those who are interested in the offbeat (Cuban RRing)

shortliner

great country even had some class 47 lookalikes.

There are still (Last year) some Brush loco's working in a sugar mill

I'm slowly getting round to modelling the Hershey in the late 50's, based on William Middleton's trip photos. The layout in the link above seems to be more of the Adolf HungryWolf era.

Only went there first in 2003, just about got end of steam working in the mills, including Manalich narrow gauge. Drove BUDD 2305 on the main line after we left Moron.

Hershey seems to have lost a lot of steeple cab locos since then but some Brills are kept serviceable. 

• 8 months later...

And have you seen that Rapido Trains (Canada) is proposing to offer their HO scale GMD-1 in a Co-Bo Cuban version (pending enough interest)? Check their latest news on their website.

They have an N scale version of that loco coming out next year as well. Maybe that one will also get a Cuban paint job.

- Paul Ingraham

What appealed to me is that in the video posted by Rapido of the 'Cuban' GMD-1, were the passenger coaches that were pretty German twin/centre-entry coaches and therefore, easy to obtain!

I always fancied some sort of "fantasy" land where US, UK & Euro stock could be mixed together, maybe Cuba could be that place!?!

Pity I've no room, finance or motivation for such a project nowadays!

Cheers,

John E.

Some of the Australian lines had at least two out of those three,

Yes, I've been very intrigued by our cousins down under, thanks! Research has already started and I'm quite excited by it all.

Sorry folks but I meant to say that I couldn't get involved in any Cuban projects!!!

Cheers,

John.

I wouldn't be surprised if some French or German manufacturers got in on the act, either.

Depends on the era, and whether you're talking government/mainline railways or private/industrial. Government/mainline railways mostly bought steam and diesel locos from UK, US or local builders, or built them in their own workshops. I don't know of any French or German locos bought by government systems with the obvious exceptions of the SAR 400 class Garratts and QR Garratts built by Franco Belge under licence from Beyer Peacock, and the Hagan's and Krauss engines of the TGR's 2' gauge North East Dundas Tramway. And the NSWGR briefly owned a 2' gauge Krauss 0-4-0T used on railway construction work.

Rollingstock was much the same, but there were also exceptions. The Commonwealth Railways had some beautiful airconditioned passenger cars built by Wegmann of Germany, and the NSWGR had large numbers of bogie open and hopper wagons built by Talbot of Aachen. I think there may have been other imports from European builders, but I'm away from home and can't look at my library!

http://www.comrails.com/cr_carriages/y_wegmann.html

In recent times Siemens and Alsthom have supplied MU cars and trams.

On the private and industrial railways there were locos built by the usual suspects - Borsig, Decauville, Jung, Krauss, Maffei and O&K, of which numerous examples survive in preservation.For a good idea of what survives this website is worth a look:

http://www.australiansteam.com/index.htm

All the best,

Mark.

Archived