Oops! - learning photography by making mistakes

eastwestdivide

Apologies for bringing out the pendent in me...however it's a U class, not a U1. The U1 was a 3-cylinder variant of the U.

Regards,

Matt

Nothing wrong with pedantry, Matt, I'm an arch pedant myself! Or thought I was: a proper pedant would've got the class right! Thanks, though, for the correction. 

• Like 1

Question - do you really learn by making mistakes, or just put yourself off photography?

I would agree though that people did learn photography (but from their successes) when starting out with film. But starting out on digital probably many people never learn even about basic camera settings like f/ numbers and shutter speeds.

Yes, I think you do still learn by your mistakes if you've a mind to, same as with anything else in life. I don't think digital necessarily makes a difference there, except that with digital, the learning curve can be quicker, as 4630 says,

It's when you look at the finished product and have a "doh!" moment that the lesson sinks in.

And sharing the lessons here helps others too - I'm glad I started this thread.

• Like 1

Seemingly I might have learned my mistake as the next shot (following the U that I posted on 3rd November (post No. 61)  is the attached. This manages not cut off the locomotive's left hand deflector.even so, I don't think there's enough of the coach to which it's coupled in the photo.

Cliff

post-2411-0-22369600-1447868561_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder about posting this in the creative section and bluffing it out but decided to just own up about not checking the settings after using the camera in manual exposure mode.

post-7191-0-32154300-1448646144_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I posted earlier a photo of a Belgian loco (at least I'd thought it was Belgian) Turns out I did manage to step back and take a 'proper' photo and I came across the negatives earlier today (looking for something else, of course!), so, for completeness, here it is. 

I now know that it was a DRG class 64 and that the railway on which it was running was the Chemin de Fer a Vapeur des 3 Vallees in Mariembourg, Begium (apologies as I've missed out some accents, but can't see how to apply them)

post-2411-0-94689100-1451751346_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-55183900-1451751480_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Old enough to have learned by now, especially as I've been taking photographs of locomotives for decades, I've still got something growing out of 76079's chimney! Rats! In my defence, I couldn't get to another position to avoid the protuberance.

post-2411-0-17095400-1452353421_thumb.jpg