Farish N Class - EP sample pics

Andy Y

I had chance to look over the first engineering prototype sample of the forthcoming N Class today. It looks superb and will pull an N gauge house down managing 13 Mk 1 coaches around the test track with ease. There's a few bits not sitting straight on the sample but that's what they're there for.

1s.jpg

2s.jpg

3s.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Agreed Jerry, although I think in Andy's photos the effect of the return crank is somewhat emphasised by it not being blackened. That said, it could stand some finessing!

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

I look forward to seeing this. I am modelling the Swanage Railway and 31404 from Salisbury shed worked stock to Swanage on 22 August 1961. The U class was a more frequent visitor so I wonder if I can get away with renumbering an N class.

The N class has 5ft 6in drivers verses the 6ft ones on the U class which also has splashers to accommodate the larger wheels, so there is some visual difference in the footplate area and below to consider. 

I''ll have to indulge in some historical adjustment when it comes to Ropley and imagine that the MHR recently returned 31874 to service rather than 31806, or I could set the line after August this year and then I wouldn't need either!!

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

Other than the points already picked out it's a lovely looking model, and I've just worked out that I can justify at least one of these  :no:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Ben.

There is only one N class left in existance, number 31874.

Until recently it was based on the Mid Hants, but had not been steamed since around 1998. It left the MHR last year and is due to undergo restoration at the Swanage railway.

Tom.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Factory decorated samples of the N Class on display at Alexandra Palace today. Unfortunately they were scattered about the cabinet and right up at the back, so the iPhone struggled with photos and this is the only semi usable one. 

post-1467-0-49676900-1427561282_thumb.jpg

Having seen them in the flesh though, they really are superb little models, easily on a par with the 2MT and 4F. Farish certainly seem to be nailing the small tender locos at the moment!

Tom. 

Archived