Farish N Class - EP sample pics

Andy Y

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very nice video preview and update on these locos on the Graham Farish website.  Apparently they will be available July or August.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Southern livery version

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=361

The video is a nice idea, but if you are going to make one to show off a new loco, then showing the loco running would be a good idea. 

The video is a nice idea, but if you are going to make one to show off a new loco, then showing the loco running would be a good idea.

Yes, I was thinking that as the camera zoomed in and out on a static subject "what's the point of a motion picture if you only film a stationary working model....."

G.

If the locos in the video are livery samples they might not actually have a motor in them...

Unlikely, as I understand review samples (presumably working) have been provided for a while and l wouldn't have thought that Farish would present 'livery samples' as representative of completed manufactured models. Besides even if they were non runners it doesn't negate the question as to why bother to film them when decent still photos would suffice.

G.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,
Just picked up my N Class in SECR grey from my local shop. It is a beauty but with a word of caution which IIRC had been mentioned in a review: The metal coal load/weight is a lose fit and falls out very easily if the loco is not upright (ie taking it out the box). Not that much of a problem but it has plastic fire iron holders attached to it which will break easily if dropped.
I can't really see why it needs such a big weight in the tender as it is loco driven so it's not helping with traction, in fact probably hampering as the loco has more weight to pull. Anyway the coal space is well moulded underneath.
Gareth

Hi,

Just picked up my N Class in SECR grey from my local shop. It is a beauty but with a word of caution which IIRC had been mentioned in a review: The metal coal load/weight is a lose fit and falls out very easily if the loco is not upright (ie taking it out the box). Not that much of a problem but it has plastic fire iron holders attached to it which will break easily if dropped.

I can't really see why it needs such a big weight in the tender as it is loco driven so it's not helping with traction, in fact probably hampering as the loco has more weight to pull. Anyway the coal space is well moulded underneath.

Gareth

Response from Bachmann Europe Plc.

The small tender weight is to ensure the otherwise lightweight tender does not bounce

on the track when pulled and also to ensure the tender wheel pick up functions okay.

The coal load is loose to suit those who like to fit their own coal.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

Many thanks for the info. I can see how it could help with pickup but I'd have thought the weight of what it is pulling would stop it bouncing. I've given mine a good run and seen no evidence of bounce when running light. Still it's not the end of the world and it's better there than being needed but not there. My only gripe would be the fire iron holders are glued into the weight so it'll need a bit of work if you don't want the weight.

Running was superb straight from the box, very slow, controllable and silent, so even with running in I can't see how it could improve! Interesting the bag of bits includes front foot steps even though to the best of my knowledge 810 didn't have any in SECR days.

Gareth

Cheaper to do one bag of bits containing everything needed for any variant than to do a different bag for each loco- and less likelihood of someone putting the wrong bag in with the engine.

Just a thought.

Les

Cheaper to do one bag of bits containing everything needed for any variant than to do a different bag for each loco- and less likelihood of someone putting the wrong bag in with the engine.

Hi Les,

Normally that would make sense but in this instance each bag of bits will be loco specific as the steps are grey to match the loco (as are the cab doors) so I'm guessing they'll be green for the Southern one and black for the BR! Still some of the later N's may have had steps pre Southern so they'd just need a bit of renumbering.

Gareth

Hello Gareth.

Probably still easier to have all bags containing the same bits - it then means the operative only has to use one list, or if filled robotically (in China?) only one program to prepare, the difference being in the colour of the parts in a couple of the hoppers.

Les

• RMweb Gold

This has most definitely been worth the wait! 

As with the Merchant Navy, a very smooth runner straight out of the box with no wobbles or other running issues, although we do have the return of traction tyres on the rear drivers. The backhead detail is the equal of the 4F, and for me it is easily on a par with the Ivatt 2MT which has been the recent benchmark in terms of details and running quality. 

post-1467-0-26573700-1436441803_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-83472500-1436442147_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-24218800-1436441499_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-99942100-1436441529_thumb.jpg

As Gareth already pointed out, the tender weight is a very loose fit, so be careful when taking it out of the packaging. There is a representation of a lesser coal load underneath the metal weight, no doubt necessary to still leave enough room for a decoder. 

All in all, a beautiful little model!

Tom. 

Graham Farish N Class

• RMweb Premium

Further to my previous reply. It's a lovely looking model, but I might have a dud. Very sticky at the start, then proceeded to move irrationally. After a little running some improvement has been seen, however it's still not great. If it does not improve significantly it's going to be returned. Shame as I know the shop doesn't have anymore at the moment. 

- Edit / update. After over an hour running in (in each direction) the forward motion is now approaching acceptability and the reverse motion is acceptable. Time to let is rest for a few hours and see if the stickiness returns, I'm hoping not!

Further to my previous reply. It's a lovely looking model, but I might have a dud. Very sticky at the start, then proceeded to move irrationally. After a little running some improvement has been seen, however it's still not great. If it does not improve significantly it's going to be returned. Shame as I know the shop doesn't have anymore at the moment. 

- Edit / update. After over an hour running in (in each direction) the forward motion is now approaching acceptability and the reverse motion is acceptable. Time to let is rest for a few hours and see if the stickiness returns, I'm hoping not!

Do the valve guides move up and down on your loco Kris? They did on mine and I glued them in position. This made things much smoother.

Mine arrived today and is happily trundling around Frankland.

Are the smoke deflectors supposed to come in the little bag of extras?

I don't seem to have any :(

The SR and SECR versions don't come with deflectors.

Thanks for clarifying Elviney - just opened the box and  wasn't sure :)

It would certainly have been a nice addition. I can't understand why this is so much cheaper than the Merchant navy. I know it is a smaller engine but the valve gear is more complex.

Archived