Farish N Class - EP sample pics

Andy Y

The review in the latest Railway Modeller has a very cruel enlargement of the green one, and a negative comment on the visibility of the join on the boiler.

To me the big thing seemed to be that the lining isn't continued beyond the join.  Perhaps a bit less noticeable on the side with the reversing rod, (post #53), how bad does it look from the other side?

Les

I have a late crest BR one which I bought from Pecorama's model shop while I was on holiday in the area. As an Eastern Region modeller I have no specific use for one, it is a real "Rule One" purchase. I have to say the loco is a delight. It looks superb, nothing amiss anywhere and it runs like a proverbial sewing machine (running in as I speak)

Roy

5.5mm too narrow between the wheels for me at the moment....   No more orders for locos for Hawthorn Dene are being placed- the seven outstanding locos will be the last for the foreseeable future.

Otherwise I might have been tempted- my new Durham Colliery has been shunted by a Beattie Well Tank this week, after all.  It might have been a challenge adding in the missing lining under the boiler.

Les

The missing lining is barely noticeable on the BR black one.

I have to say it makes me smile that a manufacturer can get to the point where they can design a sweet running loco-drive mechanism using a coreless motor AND make little or no compromise on the boiler shape in so doing (no out of scale boiler, no skirts, no visible mechanism/ worm-gear) and an issue is still made by RM about the boiler join which from any normal viewing angle and distance you really don't see...

Roy

P.S. Just got my subscription RM, looking forward to reading about Hawthorn Dene, looks a great layout..

• RMweb Gold

I've DCC'd mine with a Zimo MX621N as usual and it's looking quite at home on Ropley now. Running of my sample is just as good under DCC as DC, and it easily copes with the 5 Farish MK.1's it will usually be tasked with hauling. The short video shows it in action:

I added some sounds as the ambient background noise wasn't really fitting! 

Whilst I haven't had much time to work on the layout for a few months due to work, this little model has really given me a huge burst of enthusiasm for it. Although not the U class i'm more familiar with at the real location, it's close enough that it has made a big difference to the layout, and it now feels much more like the real place. 

Tom.

Having now looked at the reviews in BRM and Model Rail they have cruel enlargements that are just as big as the Railway Modeller used.

On these the join isn't really noticeable, so why on the RM sample?

I can think of two reasons-

1.  On the green one it isn't just the lining that is discontinuous below the join, it is also the background colour, which is green to the front on the lower boiler but has white and black on the upper.  In any case lack of a white lining that should be there is a lot easier to spot than an orange/grey one.

2.  The sample they sent (and two of the reviews suggest each mag only got one loco) has a boiler that doesn't fit properly, especially when you compare it with the other enlargements and with pics here by Elvinley and other pics on other forums.  Elvinley's pic shows a boiler where the two halves fit flush, the join is there but you have to look for it.  The RM pic shows a gap between the two halves where the boiler top hasn't been fitted properly.  Have Farish been a little careless selecting the green sample, I wonder?

As  to Roy's comments about noticeable- on that particular loco it is very noticeable.  I also note how many niggles there are in the Model Rail review, none of which I would notice,  However, if you want to look at reviews that ARE negative, just look at some of the Hornby threads.....

All the very best

Les

Edited due to my Win8 laptop throwing a wobbly and crashing, sending a half-completed post as it failed.

Someone on another forum has reported that on his N the motor lifts and disengages the worm gear causing his to stall whilst the motor spins aimlessly - the Farish Duchess did the same on his and mine.

Anyone have this problem with the class N ?

Not with mine, it runs perfectly as does my Duchess.

In point of fact the only failure I have had out of quite a few locos with the coreless motors was my first Ivatt where the piston rod casting failed (so unrelated to any motor issues).

As to Les's comments, yes, I have my RM in front of me now. and having looked again, I have to concede on the low angle pictures of the loco blown up 3 x actual size (at least) the join is visible and yes, on reflection the fit doesn't look quite right. However for balance, those pictures are cruel enlargements under the lights of a studio photo-booth. Looking at my BR livery N even under very close scrutiny (actual size) it is very difficult indeed to see the join.

Regards  

Roy

If you look in the magazines (and also here on RMWeb) ALL new models are subjected to cruel enlargement.  Bachmann UK are fully aware of this. 

Perhaps it might have been an idea to have run a magnifying glass over each of the models sent for review.  Looking at the other two liveried models that have been published and subject to the same cruel enlargement these don't have noticeable joins.  The fact that one is black and the other grey helps.

I'm putting the comment in RM about the join down to an own goal by Bachmann in their selection of review models.

All the very best

Les

• 1 month later...

I bought a late BR Black N (31811) about two months ago.  Other than one small issue, mine has been OK so far.  The only issue I have had with mine is that while it ran well, it would "hesitate" slightly at the same places on my track layout as if it was not quite getting power.  My first instinct was that the track was still dirty at those places, but extra cleaning in those places did not help, and my other locomotives ran fine.  I took my N to a club meeting and ran it on another layout to see if the problem was the locomotive or my layout.  The problem was traced to the locomotive, and by the looks of things was a silly little thing that I have hopefully managed to put right.  When I had the loco upside down in my hand, I noticed that the copper pickup spring on one side under the tender was not making contact with the copper strip behind the wheels, it was "in front" of the plastic "ledge" when it should disappear underneath.  I gently hooked the copper spring to where it should be, and it ran fine for the rest of the evening, so fingers crossed, my N should be OK now.

Archived