Class 47 with ETH and none-ETH....

class"66"

Eth stands for electric train heating and came in gradually around the very late 70s / early 80s to replace steam heated or boilered locos . This is why you had some engines known as N.B or non boilered . These were always prefered by the Bashers . E.t.h also supplies the power to air con carriages . If you ever had a class 20 say and mk2 e/f in the summer you needed to be out the window because you couldn't breath !

The Class 33s were ETH only and they were built from 1960-62.

The first twenty 47s were also built with ETH but was it not regularly used until 1969 for the dual heat Mk2a stock. The Deltics were converted around 1970/71 and the first major batch of 47s converted was around 1971-73 with the arrival of air-con stock. Further batches of 47s were done from 1974-75, then 1979-80 and finally 1983-86. The Class 45/1s were converted from the autumn of 1973 to early 1975.

So ETH really came in from 1971 with the air-con stock but large amounts of steam heated stock were still present until enough HSTs had been built to cascade the Mk2 air-con stock (around 1979-80).

The main difference if you are fitting a sound chip is that a non ETH 47 idles at 330rpm and an ETH fitted 47 at 380rpm (first 20 only idle at 330 until ETH is switched on).

Even when you turn the ETH on a noticeable difference is heard in the tone of the engine dependent on load.

Almost. ALL 47's tick over at the lower rate, the higher rate only applies once the engine is coupled & the driver establishes the supply via a button in the cab. Also switch the supply off before uncoupling.

... And don't forget, under no circumstances should you establish a feed until the Guard has said it's ok to do so! ;-)

The ETH alternator fitted 47 always idle at the higher rate, that is why they are fitted with a 4CEH governor which has additional shims fitted under the spring on the flyweights so to increase the idling revs. On a First Twenty an EP valve is operated an puts a fixed air pressure on the governor speeder valve to raise the revs.

Al Taylor

Ah, my mistake. I must be going senile or deaf, the number of times I've stood next to them when the Driver's established the supply & heard a noticeable change of rpm from the engine! 

Thats okay, we all have senior moments.

Ah, my mistake. I must be going senile or deaf, the number of times I've stood next to them when the Driver's established the supply & heard a noticeable change of rpm from the engine! 

Its probably because the engine will be under some load so the fuel rack will be putting more fuel into the engine to maintain the revs, the actual revs would stay the same (might fluctuate a bit while the fuel rack catches up).

You can get the same effect in a manual car, put the car in second gear with the engine at about 1500rpm, Lightly press the brake pedal with your left foot and increase the throttle to keep the speed the same. The engine will sound more throaty but the revs remain constant. The harder you push the brake with your left foot (within reason) the more throttle you will need to maintain the speed.

Note, if you are going to try this do it where there is no other traffic and also where there is plenty of room and not on the M1 motorway during rush hour, also dont do it for too long as the brakes will get very hot quite quickly (I have had mine smoking when I have been mucking around which isnt a good thing to do)!

More interesting stuff on here.

Neil can i ask how much did you pay for your class 47365? im watching one on ebay at the moment.

I snapped this up at very silly price :no: Ken.

Off frend who works for model railway company,i wonder who :scratchhead: and i only payed £35 too......

You might want to be aware of what kind of ETH (or ETS) is fitted to the locomotive you're modelling. In the same way that different boilers had different exhaust ports on the roof, the different styles of ETH make for a variety of three bufferbeams...

Original ETH - i.e. D1500-1519 - the orange boxes are below the buffer skirts 

First batch of conversions i.e. 47524 - ETH box is mounted above the buffer beam to the cab front, other ETH kit below the skirt

Second batch of conversions i.e. 47643 - ETH kit is mounted below the skirt again

If you're really looking to detail then inside the loco the original conversions had the ETH equipment mounted around the ETH alternator, which was attached to the gen, the second batch had what was nicknamed the 'fridge' - a big ETH box inside the old boiler compartment which could just been seen through the windows.

365 - the original subject of this topic also had extra weight - normally a concrete block - added in the 'spare'  boiler compartment when built. All the 47/3s did, though how much of it could be seen through the windows is anyone's guess!

HTH

Chris

Ive bought Bachmann RFD class 47365, im planning to fit sound into this but not sure if its ETH or none ETH??

Can anyone help me??

cheers neil....

Neil,

The ZIMO Class 47 from Digitrains has both ETH and non-ETH sound files loaded onto one decoder. You simply select the one you need by changing the value in CV265.

I believe that some Class 47s were fitted with Slow Speed Control, which also featured higher tickover speed. If you have a non-ETH but SSC fitted, you could use the ETH samples to simulate SSC fitted, perhaps.

Digitrains ZIMOs are about £30 cheaper than other well known providers, so that's nice too!

Here's a link.

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs47class-47-diesel-soundfile-for-zimo-decoders.aspx

Kind regards,

Paul

Neil,

The ZIMO Class 47 from Digitrains has both ETH and non-ETH sound files loaded onto one decoder. You simply select the one you need by changing the value in CV265.

I believe that some Class 47s were fitted with Slow Speed Control, which also featured higher tickover speed. If you have a non-ETH but SSC fitted, you could use the ETH samples to simulate SSC fitted, perhaps.

Digitrains ZIMOs are about £30 cheaper than other well known providers, so that's nice too!

Here's a link.

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs47class-47-diesel-soundfile-for-zimo-decoders.aspx

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul!!! ile give them try... :no:

cheers neil...

Archived