Frogmore/MJT GWR Battery Boxes

• RMweb Gold

I've purchased some of these boxes ,3917 pack of Collett pre 36 type for my coach build but they don't come with instructions.Can anyone shed some light on their soldered assembly please.Photos would be great.

SWMBO isn't ready yet, so here's a quick response.

The front and top are one piece. The sides and bottom have that odd bit attached. The tabs on this push through the holes in the front to form hinges, etc. It's easier to detach it and solder it to the back of the 'front' before fixing the sides. You will find that you need to file down the edges of the outer 'spiders legs' before fitting the sides as they are a bit too wide and get in the way, that's it basically apart from fitting the handles. The holes for these will need opening up a little. I rounded mine off a bit before fitting them. Once the handles are fitted you can file down the flats that represent the fixings so that they don' stand up so much. You may have to adjust the length of the sides/legs to suit the underside of your floor.

Best of luck, they look good when finished.

John

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much John.I thought a photo might help but I'm still confused here.Ideally I need to see some kind of step by step assembly in photos.

Right here are the pictorial guides:

Separate along the fold line, it's easier to get the tabs through the slots this way. The sides are recessed to take the front of the box which will aid location. 

post-7952-0-32309300-1393757476_thumb.jpg

Fold up the tabs and file off the cusps. This will allow them to fit through the slots.

post-7952-0-06619700-1393757492_thumb.jpg

Slot the tabs through the slots (from the back) in the front of the box and solder in place. File down as shown to allow the sides to have a snug fit.

post-7952-0-86642400-1393757506_thumb.jpg

The photo in the last post shows how the tabs on the handles are folded over and soldered to the back (of the front). Make sure you get them the correct way round so that they fold down into the space available.

Let me know if you want any more help.

John

OK here's Part 2!

post-7952-0-73229100-1393763477_thumb.jpg

The fold line is quite wide, you need to maximise the width of the bottom when establishing your fold point.

post-7952-0-11268200-1393763489_thumb.jpg

This should be self explanatory. I also soldered the bottom face of the battery boxes to the back of the trussing to give more stability to a rather fragile structure.

John

• RMweb Gold

You're a star John.Thanks very much.The pictures I have on p136 of Russells coach book shews the boxes hanging well on the C54 and I think I can fit them using the fixing tabs as your photo.

Thanks again for the tuition.Much appreciated.

Archived