Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - Pre-Grouping Locos

Nice work again Mile.  What diameter are the Henries? 

That's quite a substantial balance weight on the front driver.  I like the way the tender sort of overpowers the loco, many lines ended up with that sort of arrangement, especially with their 4-4-0s.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

As this is a passenger loco it needs some lining to relieve that plain green livery. Boiler bands first, I used Microscale striping. I started with a thin yellow line, then added an even thinner black line to its centre. This took some time, and patience.

D_07.JPG.41df2e9bd1d4e94d728c51d571e3e8a2.JPG

Then I had an idea about what to do with the splashers. This involved cutting circles in a sticky label with a compass cutter.

D_08.JPG.420186b01f196c54ec0dc05f45724fac.JPG

These were cut to length and painted yellow, then stuck to the model. The idea is that these would have originally been brass, but have been replaced with painted ones.

D_09.JPG.4ea411508ccd78e09f6b38692b60e82a.JPG

I wasn't entirely convinced by these and left them off the other side for comparison.

D_10.JPG.5059c2e5dd336019b40ef76635154a73.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

18 minutes ago, Nile said:

As this is a passenger loco it needs some lining to relieve that plain green livery. Boiler bands first, I used Microscale striping. I started with a thin yellow line, then added an even thinner black line to its centre. This took some time, and patience.

D_07.JPG.41df2e9bd1d4e94d728c51d571e3e8a2.JPG

Then I had an idea about what to do with the splashers. This involved cutting circles in a sticky label with a compass cutter.

D_08.JPG.420186b01f196c54ec0dc05f45724fac.JPG

These were cut to length and painted yellow, then stuck to the model. The idea is that these would have originally been brass, but have been replaced with painted ones.

D_09.JPG.4ea411508ccd78e09f6b38692b60e82a.JPG

I wasn't entirely convinced by these and left them off the other side for comparison.

D_10.JPG.5059c2e5dd336019b40ef76635154a73.JPG

Hi Neil,

I think the beaded splashers are definitely the way to go. It is just the way that railway companies used to waste brass upon such titivation that shews that the locomotive is of its time.

As for the boiler band lining I would have to have my eyes form twenty years ago to see well enough to do that standard of work.

Gibbo.

• Agree 2

I've been one of your silent followers for a while Neil and I just wanted to say your work is absolutely brilliant. It has encouraged me to continue with my own freelance style railway but I'm nowhere near as good as you are.

The 4-4-0 looks really good, it reminds me of the Cambrian Railways small bogie class built by Sharp Stewart, alas with a different style cab. They lasted on the GWR until the end of the 1920s. 

Rob.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob. I think you've correctly identified the origins of this loco. Sparkshot does both the Cambrian and Furness versions of the Sharp Stewart design, this one is a freelance development of it.

• Agree 1

Looking excellent as usual Nile! I don't think I will ever get to the point you're at with my own fidelity and neatness - a constant source of inspiration!

I've been tossing up building an E2, and which route to go down, and watching the progress of your build, and the way it looks when finished off, mean I think i'll take the plunge with a Sparkshot print.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

What I particularly like are the common features as well as the differences on all 3.

Like, the LMWR 4-4-0 and the WMR 0-6-0 have similar cabs, domes, while the two 4-4-0s are clearly similar types with the WMR one featuring the enclosed cab. Could all believably be from Sharp Stewart, the WMR goods loco looks a lot like the Sharpie 0-6-0s on the Furness Railway.

• Like 5

• Nile changed the title to Nile's Mostly Freelance Bodging Bench - Another, Smaller, Horsebox
  • RMweb Premium

After the Lima-bashed horsebox I thought of how to produce an older looking design. My cunning plan was to take a Parkside Models LNER horsebox and shorten it by removing the end sections. This composite photo shows what I did.

153.JPG.7e1b4efc5d62c2254231cb82c40e3fd6.JPG

Rather than chop up the kit's chassis I used a Parkside LNER 10ft wagon chassis I had in stock, it needed to be shortened slightly to fit.

154.JPG.08b5fba628f841bc0299302eaf0b4e74.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Not a modelling update as such, but I have been editing the first post of this topic and it now has an almost complete index of my various projects here. It goes up to page 30, I shall try to keep it reasonably up to date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 1