Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest, Hornby owning Airfix, does  anyone know when the last Kitmaster models were made and which ones they were?

edit; as I understand it the NYC Hudson was the last 00/H0 model made, the Canadian National 4-8-4 and BR A3 never made it into any production at all. Late 1961 production ceased.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2019 at 20:54, robmcg said:

Just out of interest, Hornby owning Airfix, does  anyone know when the last Kitmaster models were made and which ones they were?

edit; as I understand it the NYC Hudson was the last 00/H0 model made, the Canadian National 4-8-4 and BR A3 never made it into any production at all. Late 1961 production ceased.

The kitmaster OO railway range went to airfix then to Dapol who still make a lot of the ones that weren't lost (in a fire I think?) today. I bought an L&Y pug as a present at Christmas. 

• Thanks 1

P4?

Rather an admission of sliding to the Dark Side, I'd have thought - its worse than actually admitting that you like GWR locos....

When is the tank going to be painted Malachite?

(Of course, from beam-on, you can't tell its P4!)

Apart from the Hand Of God couplings, that is.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

P4?

Rather an admission of sliding to the Dark Side, I'd have thought - its worse than actually admitting that you like GWR locos....

When is the tank going to be painted Malachite?

(Of course, from beam-on, you can't tell its P4!)

Apart from the Hand Of God couplings, that is.....

I wouldn't argue with the tank - as the pellet's hurt :jester:

• Funny 2

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:54, robmcg said:

I have had a quick look at Let's Stick Together by Stephen Knight and it looks like the New York Central Hudson Type J3A was Kitmaster's last model locomotive which they made in 1962. Airfix bought the company in July 1962. I think that their accurate models forced Tri-ang to improve their models and Hornby have still not surpassed the Kitmaster coaches with the Peco interiors.

I think that the topic 'Hornby's Best Ever Models' is one of the best topics on the RM Web. You may also be interested to know that my brother is on holiday in New Zealand at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

I wouldn't argue with the tank - as the pellet's hurt :jester:

On a slightly different subject, but still to do with the Kitmaster, Airfix, Revell, Monogram, Con-car and Snap-Tite brands , does your involvement with making good quality kits encompass the mouldings used for the Kitmaster NYC H0 Hudson?

I have asked about these US models in the Collectors section of Special Interests and am keen to find out more about the quality of the USA kitsets apparently (as in I read it somewhere) derived from the 1961-2 Kimaster model...  they look very good and I have bought a Con-cor NYC Hudson.  as far as I can tell the US model has near-scale wheel profiles, and being 1:87 are near as Scale 4 as makes no difference. :)  But it also looks like it might owe some relationship to the Kitmaster 1961 moulds.

I am curious about whether the USA models have rotating wheels and motion too.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112915-kitmaster-is-this-possible-or-just-a-daft-idea/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-3460720

Edited by robmcg

I just bought one of these kitsets, photo from the book

'LNER Pacifics and NYC Hudsons from the collection of Fred Van Der Lubbe'

It's a Monogram kit derived from the Kitmaster NYC Hudson H0 kitset of 1961, Fred assembled his like this, and brush-painted it with the brass effect.

nyc_hudson_Image7_2ab_r1500.jpg.28b51f6861f351323f0b41184b643cf0.jpg

really very nice for such as myself who cannot build things in brass but can possibly make a plastic model.  It cost US$29. It is static, unlike the original Kitmaster version, I bought one of them too, at UKP40 this morning on Ebay.

Here is the kitset,

concor_nyc_hudson_s-l1600a_r1600.jpg.569fecb095b25f40d34e3909fca31a1c.jpg.

Who needs 12v DC motors anyway? :)

And here is an edited pic of the Kitmaster model or at least a version someone assembled (photo from web, edied by me)...

kitmaster_hudson_2a_r1500.jpg.0b085f49ae8348043ed35c0d970f775b.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

I've got the Revell "Big Boy" kit (somewhere).  It would look good in "brass" paint too.....

However, it'll have to wait until I've got around to finishing my stalled GWR mashup of two Airfix/Dapol "City of Truro" kits into a Neverwazz outside framed Express* 4-6-0!

* Unlike the Kruger 4-6-0, which unfortunately did exist...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've got the Revell "Big Boy" kit (somewhere).  It would look good in "brass" paint too.....

However, it'll have to wait until I've got around to finishing my stalled GWR mashup of two Airfix/Dapol "City of Truro" kits into a Neverwazz outside framed Express* 4-6-0!

* Unlike the Kruger 4-6-0, which unfortunately did exist...

Funny you should mention Revell, I've agreed to build and paint (and probably weather) Revell 1/72nd (ex-Matchbox) Flower Class Corvette...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/02/2019 at 00:34, robmcg said:

I just bought one of these kitsets, photo from the book

'LNER Pacifics and NYC Hudsons from the collection of Fred Van Der Lubbe'

It's a Monogram kit derived from the Kitmaster NYC Hudson H0 kitset of 1961, Fred assembled his like this, and brush-painted it with the brass effect.

nyc_hudson_Image7_2ab_r1500.jpg.28b51f6861f351323f0b41184b643cf0.jpg

really very nice for such as myself who cannot build things in brass but can possibly make a plastic model.  It cost US$29. It is static, unlike the original Kitmaster version, I bought one of them too, at UKP40 this morning on Ebay.

Here is the kitset,

concor_nyc_hudson_s-l1600a_r1600.jpg.569fecb095b25f40d34e3909fca31a1c.jpg.

Who needs 12v DC motors anyway? :)

And here is an edited pic of the Kitmaster model or at least a version someone assembled (photo from web, edied by me)...

kitmaster_hudson_2a_r1500.jpg.0b085f49ae8348043ed35c0d970f775b.jpg

The driving wheels & coupling rods look re-markedly Bulleid...

3 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

The driving wheels & coupling rods look re-markedly Bulleid...

Could well be, given that the model is 1:87 and the prototype had drivers at 6' 7" or 7'. or something... 95mph capable at least.

I have become rather taken by the various NYC Hudsons, and have bought a couple of Rivaossi versions, lovely,but not as good as MTH or BLI, that's why god invented photo editing software.

here is the Monogram Revell static version and the Rivarossi below that... 

nyc_Image4abcde_r1500.jpg.5408acb3129f5a8bbf74c64e22ef7f7a.jpg

5442_NYC_Hudson_1_r1440a.jpg.5950546f86c2bb6b87146b4766f9e759.jpg

The Dreyfuss  styled versions go for big money sometimes...

1356180601_s-l1600(2).jpg.ebda67976f67690979fa8f3fc7397d8a.jpg

As you can see, there's no accounting for taste...     

but I love them...

5421_hudson_streamlined-steam-engine-5450-dreyfuss-hudson-1938.jpg.7e9eb9457acc0603339bb530d5ff8ed3.jpg

cheers  who knows, Rivarossi may make more of them, they made them from 1972 to 2004 after all...

typoedits

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

Will Hornby Rivarossi ever reintroduce the Dreyfuss NYC Hudson...

they are doing a UP Big Boy after all...

NYC_Hudson_DREYFUSS_6abcd_r1500.jpg.33ba56e66ae4981fcd16231f7ab39d32.jpg

This above is from 1972 tooling, or a bit later, with a little of my editing, derived from a web image and a still from a youtube review.

If you want streamlined sustained power 1938-style look no further.... :)  

Edited by robmcg
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Have you worked out which is the best Hornby model based on the replies to this topic?

Um, no.  For me this week it's the Standard 4MT 4-6-0 or King Arthur....  I just bought a couple second hand.  Cheers 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Triang technically but I've definitely seen it under the Triang/Hornby banner;

The giraffe car.

Of the more modern stuff the Peckett because it's gotten me back interested after 10 years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2019 at 09:12, Robin Brasher said:

Have you worked out which is the best Hornby model based on the replies to this topic?

It's either the N15 Class or one of the Bulleid Pacific's judging by how many photo's I've posted - non photo-shopped of course ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

How about the Hornby Joeuf 241P ?  I nearly bought a Kitmaster version earlier today but missed out at auction,  thinking maybe the Joeuf version was a tad better.. :)

241P_jouef_portrait10_2abcdef_r1500.jpg.01b59d7d2ae6c0d41a9746e7dbf6612a.jpg

A great time for RTR models, whatever the country. :)

Edited by robmcg
better photo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1