Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

Agreed, the Star and the tanks should never of been design clever models, however Hornby we're going through a rough financial patch at the time.

I for one am really pleased that they have turned the corner.

Additionally, although I love my 1960s Duke of Gloucester, a "full fat" version would be very welcome.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I recall that the tanks were much delayed. I came across a picture of the full-size version of one of my models in evening sunshine. What struck me more than anything else were the waviness of the side tanks and the clumsy hexagonal bolts and I didn’t blame Hornby for either of those. Consider now the fuss there is about the bolts on the Hornby Terrier! An extraordinary feature of the tanks was an exquisite little hand hold on the boiler beading. I doubt if its omission would have caused much comment, yet It contrasted oddly with the moulded handrail under the cab windows, which everyone seemed to hate. The other major shortcoming in the appearance of the tanks was the poor paint finish, which I don’t think had much to do with design clever. It is something Hornby still seems to struggle with – some factories being much better than others.

To my mind, the worst feature of design clever was the chassis. The durability of the square axleboxes is open to question and the motors were very inconsistent performers; of my three, one was acceptable, one poor and one awful. Hornby has since introduced a decent chassis for the tanks. A separately fitted cab handrail would finish the job – I can’t say if the newer versions have a decent paint job.

As for the Stars and Duke, I agree absolutely. We are told that a chassis is cheaper to produce than a body moulding. In the fullness of time, new chassis and a bit of tinkering with the mouldings would be welcome. With only one Duke but a lot of Stars, the latter would be a safer bet for Hornby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agree totally about the Star.  As it happens, I've just been sorting out some magazines and found Jan 2014 issue of BRM ** which has a review of the Star.  What does let it down is the moulded on cab handrails which somehow show more on this loco, perhaps the rather open cab and low tender.  Can be sorted with a scapel, drill,  0.4 mm wire and some turned handrail knobs  [and probably some touch up paint  :-)  ]  but it's a pity that for such a historically significant prototype Hornby didn't pull out all the stops for this one.

** The BRM review says that the only new part was the loco body and Hornby used their existing Castle chassis and 3500 gall tender (very logical) (review model had smaller tender).  They also show a picture of the chassis with a 5 pole motor.  But from what I read (mainly on RMweb!) when the Star was released it had a cheaper  "no brass axle bearing" chassis with 3 pole motor?  Can anyone confirm what the chassis is that's used by the Star?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I recall that the tanks were much delayed. I came across a picture of the full-size version of one of my models in evening sunshine. What struck me more than anything else were the waviness of the side tanks and the clumsy hexagonal bolts and I didn’t blame Hornby for either of those. Consider now the fuss there is about the bolts on the Hornby Terrier! An extraordinary feature of the tanks was an exquisite little hand hold on the boiler beading. I doubt if its omission would have caused much comment, yet It contrasted oddly with the moulded handrail under the cab windows, which everyone seemed to hate. The other major shortcoming in the appearance of the tanks was the poor paint finish, which I don’t think had much to do with design clever. It is something Hornby still seems to struggle with – some factories being much better than others.

To my mind, the worst feature of design clever was the chassis. The durability of the square axleboxes is open to question and the motors were very inconsistent performers; of my three, one was acceptable, one poor and one awful. Hornby has since introduced a decent chassis for the tanks. A separately fitted cab handrail would finish the job – I can’t say if the newer versions have a decent paint job.

As for the Stars and Duke, I agree absolutely. We are told that a chassis is cheaper to produce than a body moulding. In the fullness of time, new chassis and a bit of tinkering with the mouldings would be welcome. With only one Duke but a lot of Stars, the latter would be a safer bet for Hornby.

Having fettled a fair number of Heavy Tanks and more than a few Star's, I agree.

The Mark.2* chassis on the Heavy Tank is gem, as where the subtle tweak or two to the bodies. The glaring omission being the lack of bunker doors on the cab - which Hornby came in for a lot of stick for, along with the wonky running plates (obviously people hadn't really looked at photo's of them in service!)

The Star was a victim of poor Ice Cube packaging (corrected on following versions), which could (and did) break the loco, appalling QC in the first batch (12 spoke bogie wheels** prime example) and of course the "shelves"! Plus a certain lack of creativity in their choices of livery and version didn't help.  Why wasn't the Castle type outside steam pipe version done - the holes are there in the running plate (albeit not drilled - hence my two versions) for it?

3 hours ago, railroadbill said:

** The BRM review says that the only new part was the loco body and Hornby used their existing Castle chassis and 3500 gall tender (very logical) (review model had smaller tender).  They also show a picture of the chassis with a 5 pole motor.  But from what I read (mainly on RMweb!) when the Star was released it had a cheaper  "no brass axle bearing" chassis with 3 pole motor?  Can anyone confirm what the chassis is that's used by the Star?

No Bearings, just checked my lone example (KofStP) ;)

*Be careful as some Mk.2's on the market are hybrids - as some eBay sellers have swapped chassis's over from the initial release to the updated version.

** Reverted to the 12 spoke version again on KofStP.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

31 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

The Star was a victim of poor Ice Cube packaging (corrected on following versions), which could (and did) break the loco, appalling QC in the first batch (12 spoke bogie wheels** prime example) and of course the "shelves"! Plus a certain lack of creativity in their choices of livery and version didn't help.  Why wasn't the Castle type outside steam pipe version done - the holes are there in the running plate (albeit not drilled - hence my two versions) for it?

No Bearings, just checked my lone example (KofStP) ;)

** Reverted to the 12 spoke version again on KofStP.

Thanks for the info on the Stars, that's helpful.  I really ought to get a couple  to put my plates on (see avatar).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks for the info on the Stars, that's helpful.  I really ought to get a couple  to put my plates on (see avatar).

The only suitable donor is British Monarch for post war, you'll just have to fit a set of aftermarket Castle outside steam pipes for Prince Henry ;) 

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

The only suitable donor is British Monarch for post war, you'll just have to fit a set of aftermarket Castle outside steam pipes for Prince Henry ;) 

I think I asked ages ago, but apart from ditching the tender, what needs to be hacked off to make British Monarch pre-WW1?  :jester:

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think I asked ages ago, but apart from ditching the tender, what needs to be hacked off to make British Monarch pre-WW1?  :jester:

I'm not 100% sure with every little detail,  but I would say the Smoke Box number plate, speedo (if fitted) and elbow pipes for starters ;)

• Like 1

P1090923.JPG.4712157f0a6e89796357dd3c5098c72d.JPG

Re Stars, I did have an idea of using a Hornby Saint body with a 4-6-0 chassis as the basis for 1 loco,  and using a Castle footplate with the boiler and cab from a 28xx for another Star.  I also mused about fitting the Castle  boiler to the 28xx footplate with the cab from another 28xx body, and fitting bigger splashers to make a 47xx.  I think I got all the boiler types right for each loco class.....

Just one of those things.... would have been a lot of pain for not much gain. :o

• Like 1

P1090936.JPG.868fbc6f1eddfde1982a594bb0e1d29d.JPG

Just a thought on how Hornby has progressed.  I reckon the Grange is up there with Hornby's best ever models.  The Hall is of an earlier time but perhaps not too bad for its day. No separate handrails at all though, or brakes. The hall was passed on to me recently by a friend who was given it with some other stuff. Sort of pass the hall competition.  Doesn't run but motor seems ok so should be able to get it going as an exercise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robmcg said:

personally I think the tank engines are grossly under-rated.  :)

4266_5274_52XX_ebbw2_4ab_r1200.jpg.028ba16c5dd435e75629880d9100bb7f.jpg

Impressive machines. I was quite excited by their announcement; very disappointed in the execution. At least, Hornby saw the light and improved them. Another tweak or two and they’d be superb.

On 14/05/2019 at 21:25, robmcg said:

Thanks Fred, I stand corrected.

Please send money....   :)

edit;  I did this picture yesterday...  what a superb engine! 

Almost as good as a Duchess!  

242A1_portrait20_4ab_r1500.jpg.709c775d38c656bba626097e0d9373e3.jpg

Great as they are a Duchess is unfortunately not in the same league.

Must be in the running for the finest steam loco ever produced. 

• Agree 1

On 25/05/2019 at 11:34, vitalspark said:

Great as they are a Duchess is unfortunately not in the same league.

Must be in the running for the finest steam loco ever produced. 

Here's another one which got a lot of power with efficiency, given loading gauge length weight and so on.  Not quite in Chapelon style perhaps. :)

30908_Schools_shed1_2abcd_r1500.jpg.8e0a5c21476f5c53381c7b281ea47c59.jpg

• Like 3

In my opinion the 1948 Hornby Dublo A4 got the shape even more 'right' than any 00 model since.

Img_3243abcdefg1_r1500.jpg.4ceb680a79bd6824b1b95aa913d328cd.jpg

But then I would say that,wouldn't I.  Just bought a few 1948-56 era models.  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My very first Hornby.Christmas 1950. Plus circle of 3 rail track,two tinplate Gresley coaches (no glazing) controller and transformer.Purchased Selfridges,Oxford Street.

I can so relate to that, although I am a mere youngster born in 1950. By 1959 I was sleeping with the Hornby Dublo brochure under my pillow, dreaming of a Standard 2-6-4T 3-carriage set...   but in the end I opted for No.2 Meccano set.

I just bought three non-glazed teak carriages with the engine above, UKP80 on Ebay for the lot, including the engine, and also have enough track for a layout,and some more engines coming. One of the three carriages is an all-third which I am told is rather rare, and I rather like the idea of an articulated pair too if I can find one for less than a fortune.  These older die-cast models have a nice feel to them, seem to go forever too.

What a contrast to the delicacies of Terrier vac pipes and such! Aren't the detail and paintwork on Stepney etc simply astonishing for RTR under UKP100 !!!   Not that I've bought one.   Yet.  :)

Cheers   

• Like 2

I've the Silver King set, it has the tinplate coaches with silver "glazing" in blood'n'custard.  I've also got the Standard 2-6-4 suburban passenger set.

I'll dig them out of the attic and photograph them, along with the Triang Princess set with the 6" maroon coaches, which need to come out for banana inspection....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My very first Hornby.Christmas 1950. Plus circle of 3 rail track,two tinplate Gresley coaches (no glazing) controller and transformer.Purchased Selfridges,Oxford Street.

My Hornby Christmas must have been 1957 or 1958. Green A4 Mallard with crimson/cream coaches. Oval of track, controller with built in transformer. Think I've already posted pic in this thread, cos I've still got it....

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1