Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

At least the footbridge and rolling stock are Hornby....   also the leading engine is a re-numbered 75062 by them too,  I think?. Old pic but I like it.

75077_73065_Standards_SR_Parcels_r1500_1abc.jpg.b948ea661248c617fe8a22cffbdc21ed.jpg

Southampton-London mail sandwiched between expresses, no messing around... ! :)

pic edited

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Raising the thread from Davy Jones locker so to speak, there's not been much going on at the Railway side of the works - apart from me breathing new life into another Hornby Clerestory.

ClerestoryBrakeRW_lhfan.jpg.44cf5912beb1f691072aad067c0b48d0.jpg

ClerestoryBrakeRW_rh.jpg.0a718b3763c606de7e18352ec4a9b98f.jpg

However the shipyard has just launched it's first redbox (Airfix) boat in quite a while..

rescue_37.jpg.44abb80dfb43bd96380f9f310fe310d5.jpg

rescue_42.jpg.9f76cdf61659279ad07aadb9c3402714.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this on the main general discussion forum some time back, but I'll paste it here to see if I can get any further answers to it...

In terms of models retaining value, can anyone explain to me why Hornby Bulleid Light Pacifics don't seem to deprecate much price wise? 

This mainly applies to the rebuilds - the original condition models seem to be a bit cheaper. 

By way of comparison : I can go on Ebay and regularly find Merchant Navy rebuilds for ninety quid or thereabouts. With Light Pacifics, I can get original condition ones for about £95-£130. However with the rebuilds, I'm usually looking at £130 minimum, and sometimes quite a bit more than the present retail price (which is about £170 at the moment).

This also extends to second hand stalls at shows. Even from larger retailers, I can find plenty of the Bachmann and Hornby ranges from the last ten years or so, but rebuilt Light Pacifics seem almost unobtainable in this regard - they never seem to be on the second hand stalls. 

Anyone know why this is? It's a popular model, certainly, but even allowing for this it's odd how few of them filter down to the second hand market, or decrease in price.

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:52, SD85 said:

...In terms of models retaining value, can anyone explain to me why Hornby Bulleid Light Pacifics don't seem to depreciate much price wise? 

This mainly applies to the rebuilds - the original condition models seem to be a bit cheaper...

For people of a certain age, these were probably the locos that provided a last chance to experience a powerful steam loco operating on the national network, and in a pleasant location associated with holidays too? And those that were teenagers then will now be relatively early retirees, and possibly building the dream layout.

And at a similar date in a northerly location on BR and rather more workaday, haven't Hornby excelled themselves with the J36?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2020 at 16:52, SD85 said:

I posted this on the main general discussion forum some time back, but I'll paste it here to see if I can get any further answers to it...

In terms of models retaining value, can anyone explain to me why Hornby Bulleid Light Pacifics don't seem to deprecate much price wise? 

This mainly applies to the rebuilds - the original condition models seem to be a bit cheaper. 

By way of comparison : I can go on Ebay and regularly find Merchant Navy rebuilds for ninety quid or thereabouts. With Light Pacifics, I can get original condition ones for about £95-£130. However with the rebuilds, I'm usually looking at £130 minimum, and sometimes quite a bit more than the present retail price (which is about £170 at the moment).

This also extends to second hand stalls at shows. Even from larger retailers, I can find plenty of the Bachmann and Hornby ranges from the last ten years or so, but rebuilt Light Pacifics seem almost unobtainable in this regard - they never seem to be on the second hand stalls. 

Anyone know why this is? It's a popular model, certainly, but even allowing for this it's odd how few of them filter down to the second hand market, or decrease in price.

Well when the Modified Bulleid Light Pacifics first came out - well the first two batches R25** & R26** anyhow, there's was certainly a sense of over supply, as they ended up going cheap at the Box-shifters & on eBay. 

A lot of those where brought up for Renaming , Renumbering, etc. - guilty as charged here (I'm not the only one though). So those releases are far rarer, subsequent releases have been released in smaller number's and again there were fewer available. So they retain their price.

It's the same with the Air-smoothed versions in BR Green - Wilton's used to be picked up for under £70, not now

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense as to why they are a bit hard to find for less than £130-180.

Actually, it was Toboldlygo's thread about renumbering and weathering Bulleids on the old RMweb forums that I discovered a while back which inspired me to start looking for WCs/BoBs to rework.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

For people of a certain age, these were probably the locos that provided a last chance to experience a powerful steam loco operating on the national network, and in a pleasant location associated with holidays too? And those that were teenagers then will now be relatively early retirees, and possibly building the dream layout.

And at a similar date in a northerly location on BR and rather more workaday, haven't Hornby excelled themselves with the J36?

Last mainline steam operating out of London. Spot on! Rebuilt wcs, MNs, standard 5s, a variety of still running vintage steam to spot on the way and Ns well tanks and panniers at the far end of the (holiday) trip. 

Lots of these locos have become available rtr over the years so southern region steam in the 60s has become easier to do. (Wouldn't have expected that years ago).

My Ian Allen spotters book does have more BB/WC numbers ticked off than any other class though - so hopefully Hornby will churn out some more models.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a new 35030 Merchant Navy and I am impressed by the depth of colour in the green.

This pic is un-retouched or edited in any way, just cropped.  Daylight lighting, reading lamp nearby.

Img_4446a_r1800.jpg.15fdf215d4735a61c5106f7de59a42e7.jpg

I'm impressed!  Runs like a dream too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Just bought a new 35030 Merchant Navy and I am impressed by the depth of colour in the green.

This pic is un-retouched or edited in any way, just cropped.  Daylight lighting, reading lamp nearby.

Img_4446a_r1800.jpg.15fdf215d4735a61c5106f7de59a42e7.jpg

I'm impressed!  Runs like a dream too.

Worth noting, I found an excellent match for Hornby BR Green by accident, while in my recent armour building phase ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1

Very handy to know about re-touching Hornby BR Green if it doesn't vary between factories?

I had a couple of faults with the Merchant Navy as received from a NZ web retailer, one front tyre was off, but has eased back on ok, and half of the smokebox dart handle is missing, so technically I could demand a refund, but I am hoping to fix the smokebox handle with a section of a small staple,  it's too small for hamfisted me to glue a tiny piece of plastic on, I would inevitably make a mess in the unlikely event that I could place the tiny piece accurately.

I am inclined to accept errors like this in all the new models I buy,  I can't be bothered with returns unless it's serious, like poor running etc., or something glaring I cannot fix.   I cannot remember a recent purchase without some little error or other...

Do readers this this is acceptable for the prices charged?

Img_4449a_r1800a.jpg.cebe7dac7d87fb88869805ee3b52c002.jpg

Img_4452a_r1800.jpg.706a5f802c6a5d5c5751a0ebfad58937.jpg

Again both pictures unedited but for cropping and sharpening.

Cheers

• Like 1

Getting away from the grubby and rusty stuff, a Peppercorn K1 was mentioned on another thread. It made its way onto my computer desktop and has remained there since. Surely a contender for Hornby’s best ever, unless you insist on something large and in a colour other than black.

Peppercorn K1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

... Surely a contender for Hornby’s best ever, unless you insist on something large and in a colour other than black...

It's been quite ironic that while Hornby have been plumbing the depths of the financial mire over much of the past decade, they have been in the treetops with the LNER group loco introductions I have purchased: B1, B12/3, B17, D16/3, J15, J36, J50, K1, L1, O1. (Haven't yet gone for the ultimate big green one, because Hornby haven't offered the final superior form of the P2.)

The four tender locos in red: these have largely cast metal loco bodies, and it's a real asset for plentiful weight for good traction and current collection in what are physically small tender locos. This feature doesn't seem to be much mentioned, but I like it.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm noticing a slight trend here ... and I don't disagree, but ...

What about Hornby's finest diesels .... 50, 56, 60?

The Super Detail versions are absolutely superb - detail, features, running qualities, haulage capacities ... truly superb.

I've a weathered EWS 56 059 on a 13-wagon TEA tanker train - near-silent and SO smooth ... brilliant.

(Yes, all lights work perfectly.)

Al.

16 hours ago, atom3624 said:

...What about Hornby's finest diesels ...

Although much of what was expanding in their cylinders was steam, it was produced by the hideous and unacceptable subterfuge of internal combustion with all the associated horrible noises, see thread title qualification. ;)

I am not sure that these are sufficiently popular to have occasioned a similar thread, but there's no objection to starting one...

• Like 1

Of course we do have the Hornby Star as contender too...

4018_Star_Knight_of_the_Grand_Cross_6abcdef_r1800.jpg.4bca31c6c46d81ffb66450aae2947839.jpg

4021_GWR_Star_portrait15_5abc_r1800.jpg.9d20f4e2718ede5702c92fc7f264a18c.jpg

You may choose to put 10-spoke front bogie wheels on these, I think only 4021 came with them from the factory, many have 12-spoke.

Lovely models in my opinion , made with 'design clever'.

Repeated from Hornby Star thread, apologies if you have seen these.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. Star's - it's been 9 months since the last one came through the works. There will be another one coming soon (using a 4021 British Monarch with Castle type cylinder pipes) ;) 

4053_lhfan.jpg.1529eb87ae96143c29466a98bd46eac4.jpg

4019_rhfan.jpg.72900dc4638e3e10102bda572caf968c.jpg

Yep and I've been meddling with Clerestories again..

CBTK_lhran2.jpg.287fc1e492b5f1a761179e159bfa8faf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, robmcg said:

Lovely photos toboldlygo. And I see a nice cab handrail, superb detailing and weathering, excellent!

I'm in double digits with Star's - I think I've mastered the shelf removal now ;) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

I'm in double digits with Star's - I think I've mastered the shelf removal now ;) 

Beauty I've always missed with these eyes before. Just what the truth is I can't say anymore.

855223209_DSCN5719(4).JPG.edadbd71fbf1c2281296abfb8f8cd5d4.JPG

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Beauty I've always missed with these eyes before. Just what the truth is I can't say anymore.

855223209_DSCN5719(4).JPG.edadbd71fbf1c2281296abfb8f8cd5d4.JPG

Nice quote and excellent rendition of BR green!  Cheers.

edit; I particularly like the muted tones and colouring of the crew. GREAT photo.

Edited by robmcg
  • Agree 2

After that lovely GWR 4019 Star 'Knight Templar' built when William Stanier was assistant works manager at Swindon, is it any wonder that after ten years as works manager from 1920-30 he was given the job of CME at Crewe and produced this in 1933?  LMS 6201 'Princess Elizabeth' is seen here in 1935-6 form.

6201_princess_shed5_with_pump_4abcd_r1800.jpg.34041e0274384a563c9fa06663951fb3.jpg

Remarkably little done to the photo of the model in the Princess thread, added a vac pump and sanders, and darkened everything a tad.

Definitely a contender for best ever... :)

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1