Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, robmcg said:

I used to think that way too, I couldn't enjoy a model of a machine I thought was so flawed in design, and thus in looks, especially the over-long front end.

Equally I have read a fair bit about Thompson the man and he was not in my opinion a very likeable nor admirable person, in contrast to Gresley.  But the change to leadership was sudden in 1941 and Britain was at war, the P2s were a mess because of axles and other major issues, the V2s were ok excellent even, but had conjugated valve gear, so a powerful mixed traffic engine was a good idea...   worked for Bulleid!

The biggest problem was that for whatever reason the A2/2 was never 'sorted' in terms of ride at speed, and steam chest/frame flexing issues.

Wasn't Bill Hoole the driver who miraculously survived the 1947 Scottish crash which was attributed to poor track where it was at least partially due to poor engine design, with inadequate front bogie side control?

My comment is purely on the aesthetics Rob. That said the P2 rebuilds don’t look like they would perform well and they look ungainly almost like a wheel is missing lol Hornby have made a fine model though

4 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder of course but for me the A3, A4 and P2 were all ‘handsome’. Whereas this is like an earlier take on ‘steam punk’; bashing all 3 with the ugly stick then joining the battered parts together lol

Indeed, one may well say that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Except to say I have read many descriptions of Thompson both as a designer and a man and he doesn't come out too well, thus it has been difficult to be objective, especially when he ordered the rebuilding of Great Northern against the wishes of his own senior staff.

I was going to write, 'small-minded little git' but then thought better of it... :) O S Nock and C J Allen wrote something broadly similar but perhaps more circumspect. 

In 1941-2 there was a good argument for standardising everything, and on paper the A2s weren't entirely bad, the long wheelbase and equal-length connecting rods were I think just too stupid, especially when he expected the long wheelbase to work with a B1 front bogie without accounting for the dynamics at speed, ....  but the boilers, exhausts, steam brake, all good as on for instance the O1.

Personally I wouldn't let the man work on a Morris Minor,  but we did end up with some engines which could steam and pull well. More down to the staff under Thompson than the designer himself.

I had to say that because I have just pre-ordered a 60523 'Sun Castle' A2/3 and also bought a nice straight Bachmann 60534 'Irish Elegance. Both are examples of design dragged back from ruin by tradesmen, engine crews and so on, and eventually Peppercorn and his staff.

In anticipation of the A2/3 I took the published Hornby images of the engine and tidied them... the paint evaluation models were poorly thrown together, such as front bogie was reversed, and parts don't line up in the photos, but using the standard of manufacture and assembly evident on the new A2/2 60505 'Thane of Fife' I think we can reasonably expect the new 60523 'Sun Castle' A2/3 to look like this...

60523_A2_R3835_portrait3_4ab_r1820.jpg.50226a4eeffd0c0410221a9dc4896f9b.jpg

Another case of a model looking better than the prototype?

'.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, robmcg said:

Indeed, one may well say that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Except to say I have read many descriptions of Thompson both as a designer and a man and he doesn't come out too well, thus it has been difficult to be objective, especially when he ordered the rebuilding of Great Northern against the wishes of his own senior staff.

I was going to write, 'small-minded little git' but then thought better of it... :) O S Nock and C J Allen wrote something broadly similar but perhaps more circumspect. 

In 1941-2 there was a good argument for standardising everything, and on paper the A2s weren't entirely bad, the long wheelbase and equal-length connecting rods were I think just too stupid, especially when he expected the long wheelbase to work with a B1 front bogie without accounting for the dynamics at speed, ....  but the boilers, exhausts, steam brake, all good as on for instance the O1.

Personally I wouldn't let the man work on a Morris Minor,  but we did end up with some engines which could steam and pull well. More down to the staff under Thompson than the designer himself.

I had to say that because I have just pre-ordered a 60523 'Sun Castle' A2/3 and also bought a nice straight Bachmann 60534 'Irish Elegance. Both are examples of design dragged back from ruin by tradesmen, engine crews and so on, and eventually Peppercorn and his staff.

In anticipation of the A2/3 I took the published Hornby images of the engine and tidied them... the paint evaluation models were poorly thrown together, such as front bogie was reversed, and parts don't line up in the photos, but using the standard of manufacture and assembly evident on the new A2/2 60505 'Thane of Fife' I think we can reasonably expect the new 60523 'Sun Castle' A2/3 to look like this...

60523_A2_R3835_portrait3_4ab_r1820.jpg.50226a4eeffd0c0410221a9dc4896f9b.jpg

Another case of a model looking better than the prototype?

'.

I haven’t taken the plunge just yet but from the photographs I’ve seen on here, that has a lot more sheen than the production models and it looks the better for it, so it isn’t quite what I would reasonably expect, sadly.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

More mixed-traffic wartime adventures....   well, post-war built, and in stock at Hornby today...  photo edited, colour guessed.

35024_MN_Bulleid_portrait1_1abcdef_r2080.jpg.6c6349610f2f17891b294e8e448e4d6a.jpg

Does this look good or what!   :)

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rob, I haven’t been back through all the previous pages, but by far the best Hornby model I have is the J36, closely followed by the J15, Q6 and the B12.

They may not have the glitz and glamour of the large Pacific’s, but are way out there in terms of running quality. The diminutive J36 has running quality I have never seen in any RTR model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Hi Rob, I haven’t been back through all the previous pages, but by far the best Hornby model I have is the J36, closely followed by the J15, Q6 and the B12.

They may not have the glitz and glamour of the large Pacific’s, but are way out there in terms of running quality. The diminutive J36 has running quality I have never seen in any RTR model.

Agree re the J36, so smooth it is almost hypnotic to watch in action. The Terrier is the same. Not so sure about the Q6, mine was smooth but I am now getting more variable running (fast then unexpectedly slowing down) so I fear it is the start of the motor problems that have been reported elsewhere. Just acquired a J15 which is on the workbench awaiting fitting out (detail parts, chip fitting, Kadees's etc)  but I am optimistic it will be a good smooth runner as it was silky smooth on DC running in on the rolling road.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hypnotic?

A really accurate description, Mike. I cannot believe how slow it will run and how it easily pulls a train of wagons that appears far too long for the size of the loco. When pulling away from a standing start, I cannot believe it will move off at a barely discernible speed where other locos need far more volts to get them moving.

I meant to say at the outset, all my loco’s are DCC and most fitted with Zimo decoders.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, gordon s said:

The J36 is clearly a state of the art model,  and I confess I do tend to concentrate on bigger locos, but in my defence I bought a couple of B12s recently, and before that had a craze on Ivatt 2-6-2Ts , but I fear that if I bought and photographed every model I liked there would be no room left in my house for me... 

41281_ivatt_2-6-2t_portrait3_4a_r1800.jpg.51f79e5a9d81361fe32658664ac9ba38.jpg

Half the fun was that the split chassis models were cheap, the upgraded chassis versions are rare and over-priced.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, robmcg said:

More mixed-traffic wartime adventures....   well, post-war built, and in stock at Hornby today...  photo edited, colour guessed.

35024_MN_Bulleid_portrait1_1abcdef_r2080.jpg.6c6349610f2f17891b294e8e448e4d6a.jpg

Does this look good or what!   :)

Rob, can you by any chance perform your magic on a wartime black M/N ?

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Rob, can you by any chance perform your magic on a wartime black M/N ?

Easily...

I had a burst of Bulleid-mania a while ago but never found all the variations in body-styles!

21C1_Bulleid_merchant_navy_SR_portrait1_2abcdef_r2080a.jpg.6f25d2055475597157943c7d8e7ea2ab.jpg

21C9_MN_Bulleid_shed5_2abcdef_r2080.jpg.5bde80df9dbdb242f541017b86e7bc98.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

With various Merchant Navy engines in the offing, especially 21C7,  time to remember the one one which set it all off...

21C1_Bulleid_Merchant_Navy_portrait40_3abcdef_r2080.jpg.1d88e8e92286f3c101500f0290778d57.jpg

A certain blue 35024 is in the works for photos too.

Who ever thought Thompson could build a 6' 2" mixed traffic engine which would still be running express trains at over 100mph in 1967?

• Like 4

Bulleid 21C7 'Aberdeen Commonwealth' sometime between mid-1942 and 1944 at Salisbury shed.

Probably nearer 1943 with three sanders and a WD alongside. I hope the WDs were around by then.

Someone will now tell me that Salisbury shed didn't get built like that until 1960....  :) I have a more generic shed background if that be the case.

21C7_MN_bulleid_shed2_6a_r2080.jpg.4e8f26c463c3703bd2c8b5fbb53e1381.jpg

Edited by robmcg
correction
  • Like 7

I really must get an canned MN.

I've got an uncanned one (Lamport and Holt Line*), a canned BoB (Manston) and an uncanned WC (Trevone) so an addition would complete the quartet.

* My grandfather was an engineer on the L&H Vestris, but luckily had left the ship before it sank in 1928. I'll have to look up the other lines he sailed with, see if there are any canned MNs that match...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, robmcg said:

An original 21C3 'Royal Mail' in wartime black looks just the part!

Who needed WDs, 8Fs and V2s when you could have this, eh? And what WD or 8F could exceed 100mph too...   :)

21C3_MN_Bulleid_portrait16_1abcde_r2080.jpg.9140038338e77931f336d4ab8f3338d6.jpg

Very striking!

But the claim by Bulleid that they were "mixed traffic" locos was a bare-faced marketing lie to get production permission past the Men from the Ministry who wouldn't know the difference between one of Bulleids finest and a real mixed traffic loco if they were hit (repeatedly, if possible) in the face with a wet fish!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, mckinneyc said:

Rob, I have two Hornby B12s and think they are probably the best steam model they have ever made, closely followed by the J36.

I'd get another B12 but have no more room to display my models!

The "Unsung Hero" for me is the Hornby J15, a lovely running loco with excellent detailing and paintwork.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mckinneyc said:

Rob, I have two Hornby B12s and think they are probably the best steam model they have ever made, closely followed by the J36.

I'd get another B12 but have no more room to display my models!

But, but, they are not large nor green nor influenced by Swindon.  With evocative names...   :)

I agree the B12 is a great model, I had an original Triang one and painted it matt black, it probably still goes, if I knew where it was! 

class_b12.jpg.d743764332218146e905d005d24191d1.jpg

cheers

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, robmcg said:

But, but, they are not large nor green nor influenced by Swindon.  With evocative names...   :)

I agree the B12 is a great model, I had an original Triang one and painted it matt black, it probably still goes, if I knew where it was! 

cheers

Love the B12. You can do so much with it. But i think the bomb-proof, Rovex/Triang/Hornby Princess is an all time great!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, robmcg said:

cheers

Nice...

I spy some transfers from a Kitmaster or Airfix Ex GWR 61xx kit. ;)

• Like 2

Just now, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Nice...

I spy some transfers from a Kitmaster or Airfix Ex GWR 61xx kit. ;)

Ah, I shall blame my younger brother for that. I think he exhumed it after I had finished messing with it ....

At one stage I had the chassis under a Hornby Duchess of Atholl with botched Kitmaster or Airfix scraps fashioned into valve gear, and I suspect he saved it and returned to to a semblance of sanity.  

• Like 2