Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

8 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Resurrected one the M7's the other day for a client, it was a tad poorly - running wise and needed a few bits repairing and replacing.

Then looking at my records it's the first M7 on my bench for 6 years :O 

30031_lhfan.jpg.5e09922658f4420c7752d3fb45bfae82.jpg

30031_rhfan.jpg.dcc8e2d33659691134453c3240b2af62.jpg

Like a St Bernard, it carries a barrel under its bufferbeam to succour the weary and benighted traveller.

Down in the West Country, it'd be rum rather than brandy, though I suppose they could have nicked some brandy off the Parson...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Like a St Bernard, it carries a barrel under its bufferbeam to succour the weary and benighted traveller.

Down in the West Country, it'd be rum rather than brandy, though I suppose they could have nicked some brandy off the Parson...

Or cider, given its incider cylinders.

• Funny 4

With all the drama of Coronation Scot carriages and LNER4479's superb photo I could not resist modifying it a little with a pic with my own 6221 'Queen Elizabeth'... thus...

6221_coronation_shap_test3_8ab_r2080.jpg.95cabedd7d89b5c5e09db4281eedb5d7.jpg

Thanks LNER4479...  the last 7 carriages are yours. :)

• Like 10

Edward Thompson in the pose used in the Hornby ads, but named...

500_a2_LNER_portrait41_4abcde_r2080.jpg.72aa22b7a1cfdedf1ea2c16dadf9e73a.jpg

Rather attractive, which I doubt I would have said six months ago!   And no debates about green! :)

Edited by robmcg
added comment
  • Like 8

In a rare moment of thread discipline, I was thinking last night about the quality of the recent A2 models, and am of the opinion that if assembled properly, and all five on mine are close to that divine and perfect state, then the A2 equals the Clan, Britannia, and Bulleid Light Pacific.

Let down in the case of BR era A2/2 and A2/3 models by flat paint, perhaps. The paint doesn't worry me and looks great weathered.

I tend to compare large green engines mostly because they are my main interest, I understand such as the J36 is very good, and the B12.

The A2 has excellent wheels, the detailing is fine, they must be very hard to assemble and all credit to those in China who succeed at this. Above all, they have a look of quality modelling.

Credit also to Hornby and those who developed the model. When people criticise Hornby for assembly issues I would be interested to see how well they would do if confronted with the task of assembling the parts which make up one of these models. At around UKP170 retail.  

Here is an edited version of a photo I put in the A2 thread a week ago. I have left that front step kicked-up, I tend not to notice it.

500_A2_LNER_portrait27_3a_r2080.jpg.066cd2554ca55bbe3026ab3aedc17061.jpg

Another aspect of RTR 00 models, the price of labour in China is much higher than it was, and Hornby emerged from the Sanda Kan debacle rather well, all said and done.

Maybe I will buy a Chamossaire just to finish the matter. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just had a couple of earlier super detail models running, and superbly - smooth, quiet and fast as well.

R2687 LNER Flying Scotsman - Australian visit edition - looks and runs superbly.

R2339 LNER Mallard - ditto on performance.  Hauling 8 super detail teaks at speed with relative ease.

Fantastic locomotives.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2021 at 10:34, atom3624 said:

Just had a couple of earlier super detail models running, and superbly - smooth, quiet and fast as well.

R2687 LNER Flying Scotsman - Australian visit edition - looks and runs superbly.

R2239 LNER Mallard - ditto on performance.  Hauling 8 super detail teaks at speed with relative ease.

Fantastic locomotives.

Al.

Hi Al, yes, some of the older Hornby engines are indeed great,  my most silent and smooth is a 2004-era Princess class, factory weathered BR blue, and I rather like the look of it too.

Maybe I should have included the new-tooling Princess class and the new original Merchant Navy class in my recent post, they are both superb, the new Duchess is great too.

The very recent wartime black Merchant Navy 21C7 appeals to me I have one on order, and 3rd Rail Exile did a couple of quick photos of his recently-received example. He has given me permission to mess with his quickly-taken photo and I came up with this.

21C7_MN_portrait80_7abcde_r2080.jpg.e7a4d1a3d79d59570c9d5026811616d7.jpg

Original in the Merchant Navy thread, 2 days ago. Thanks 3rd Rail Exile.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've had a Hornby Railroad BSO for some time but just got round to weathering it and adding passengers.  For a much requested variant appearing in a budget range she turns out nicely.

rev Hornby BSO rhs.jpg

• Like 11

This has just arrived and definitely (not H !!) deserves an entry!!

Absolutely stunning and whilst only at work has safely 'passed the battery test' - just a few little tweaks to the tender pickups required, which appears to be standard practice these days!

I have Canadian Pacific, and have renamed a blue King King Edward II, but this has to be at least on a par with the King - absolutely stunning.

Al.

R3737 60022 Mallard arrived - 20210513-1 small.jpg

R3737 60022 Mallard arrived - 20210513-2 small.jpg

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Be wery quiet, I've been renaming Bulleids again (R2385 34051 Winston Churchills to be accurate) ...

34057_lhfanex.jpg.3c62e3caeb4eee281b358f37a9345d90.jpg

34057_rhfan.jpg.3d5e309c38d15c6fc87c98c5bb1378d1.jpg

34066_lhfan.jpg.88a746a5bd81477f7c5fffa2cec89f28.jpg

34066_rh.jpg.db68d8e5e8b7f0a201eeba90f75dbe3a.jpg

Please point @robmcg in the direction of a wery cold shower :jester:

Yours Elmer 'Toboldlygo' Fudd ;) :P 

Edited by toboldlygo
typo
  • Like 5

Well done on renaming a couple of 34051's. I think Hornby have produced it under four different catalogue numbers now?

Your splendid 34057 and 34066 renames look excellent, the etched nameplates and plaques together with some subtle weathering really enhance the models, very impressed.

Glenn

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, mattingleycustom said:

Well done on renaming a couple of 34051's. I think Hornby have produced it under four different catalogue numbers now?

Your splendid 34057 and 34066 renames look excellent, the etched nameplates and plaques together with some subtle weathering really enhance the models, very impressed.

Glenn

Both are R2385's, I've lost count of the number of times I've used Winnie as a donor - extra challenge is that the mounting holes for the original Winnie nameplates can't be hidden by the Spitfire nameplates...

Thank you Glenn, for pointing this particular client in my direction:drink_mini:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Strange, but of all of them, 6170 British Legion catches my eye the most.

Al.

maybe it’s the weathering I haven’t plucked up courage to do 6212 yet and the others are new today. 

Perhaps it is.

I'd leave at least one 'pristine', the others varying degrees to a small extent of weathering.

The impression, perhaps misguided, I have of pre-nationalisation, is certainly the top locomotives were kept pretty clean anyway, so it would just be a typical worst after a blast to Glasgow / Edinburgh from Euston.

Al.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

In view of having not yet received a Hush Hush I exhumed an example of what I consider to be one of the most outstanding RTR OO models ever, the Hornby Thompson A2/2 and A2/3.

In fact it might have some things in common with the W1 hush hush, sometimes poor assembly and/or damage in transit, but I have all 6 A2s and all were undamaged except for minor, fixable things, I'm hoping for the same with W1 R3840!

I was experimenting with my other favourite toys, cameras, and took this below of A2/3 LNER 514 'Chamossaire', which I think is lovely.

All in the quest for more depth of field in photos of models, for those who are interested,

Canon M6 MkII 31MP 'half-frame' camera. standard 15-45mm zoom. 

ISO 100, Aperture priority, delayed release, camera on table, 25 secs at F36 , focal length 41mm. Reading lamp and window light.  No particular editing. Sharpened a tad.

Happy festive season all.  

514_A2_Img_1027abcd_r2080a.jpg.2679e39c4babb9f4cdb21cfa8088ee74.jpg

Then, because I was trying to do a 'scientific' comparison between the above M6 camera and the much cheaper 24MP M200 camera, I did this, below, with almost identical settings, but somewhat later, with the relationship brween engine and camera slightly different...

Canon M200  on aperture priority, delayed release, 25 secs at F36  ISO100..

1783802633_514_A2_IMG_1012(3)_1abcd_r2080a.jpg.b2ca28d735374c967aa23630fc921c8f.jpg

Nothing like a bit of science eh?   I'd love to see a Gresley V2 to compare! 

Edited by robmcg
typo
  • Like 8