Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

I've stated I've a preference for WCML locomotives, but I also like ECML and Southern .... love the Bulleids, particularly the Rebuilt MN's.

I've several, and I've a temporary 'loop' in the living room - no fixed track for now - and have been testing out most of the recent acquisitions, not previously tested.

Port Line - may be a rename by somebody but done well if it is - was uncharacteristic .... it had that horrible 'click, click, click, click' you get sometimes ....

Often attributed to MAZAK rot, or simply old plastic gear wheels worn / broken .... or even the piston rod catching on the connecting rods ... not a favourite of mine ...

Considering Clan and Brocklebank were perfect, I stumped up the 3 quid or so and got new drive gears.

They arrived, I replaced them ... and ... 'click, click, click, click' ...

A few naughty words later ... then I had a cunning thought ... 'can't be, surely?' ...

I bent the speedo cable mount out slightly as the cable did look very close to the con-rod bolt ... and ... BOOM!! PERFECT!! Silence again!!

Beautiful smooth runner as well.

Rob, here's another for your 'famous creations' ... Rebuilt Merchant Navy ...

Al.

17 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not having an encyclopediac recall of LMS names and numbers, I had to look 6212 up, to find it was "Duchess of Kent" as it looks so like R2225. 

I wonder why Hornby named  their model "Princess Arthur of Connaught" (6207), a locomotive involved in not one but two fatal accidents within three years of each other, resulting in the deaths of 39 passengers in total.  They could have chosen a less ill-omened name....

Sorry Hroth I was too lazy to write 'Duchess of Kent' in the caption...  brevity is efficiency you know...

I thought 46207, ill-starred notwithstanding,  was one of (edit... four: 46200 5/58 with LMS lining, 46204 6/58 BR lining, 46207 5/58 LMS lining, 46208 9/58 BR lining)  ) to receive BR red paint.... so maybe that gave it an extra edge.  But Hornby I think list 46203, 4, 7 and 8 in maroon...  in the 2001-on tooling  

and they also had done 6207 in LMS crimson lake, together with 6201 and 6204.

BR black was 46201 in 2004... I had that once, wonder if I sold it?

BR blue  46210 factory weathered 

BR green early crest 46203 and 46211

BR green late emblem 46201 and 46212

and BR maroon 46203  is described by Ramsays as 'as preserved',  the four to receive maroon or crimson lake or red in BR days were  46200, 46204, 46207 and 8. 

I don't know why 46204 isn't listed in my Ramsays in maroon... who, me?  Confused?

either way it has piqued my interest so I shall create more pics of this old tooling version, which I think looks good.

46204_princess_portrait50_BR_1abc_r1200.jpg.3b55a16ef946017bba96800d95e34f1c.jpg

or, if you prefer the Yorkshire Dales and a green version ...

46211_6201_princess_country_19abcd_r1500.jpg.a389fd075d11924e9d680f98c39df448.jpg

Which will cause offence because I don't think the real 46211 spent much time up there...  :)

and I have, shock, horror, left the Hornby front wheels untouched.

A discrete piece of thin card or thick matt paper covers the gap in the trailing truck frame, if for display or only very wide radius,  equally the bogie clearance at the front is rather ample...   but it's fun to create the pics. 

Edited by robmcg
crimson BR details added
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I've stated I've a preference for WCML locomotives, but I also like ECML and Southern .... love the Bulleids, particularly the Rebuilt MN's.

I've several, and I've a temporary 'loop' in the living room - no fixed track for now - and have been testing out most of the recent acquisitions, not previously tested.

Port Line - may be a rename by somebody but done well if it is - was uncharacteristic .... it had that horrible 'click, click, click, click' you get sometimes ....

Often attributed to MAZAK rot, or simply old plastic gear wheels worn / broken .... or even the piston rod catching on the connecting rods ... not a favourite of mine ...

Considering Clan and Brocklebank were perfect, I stumped up the 3 quid or so and got new drive gears.

They arrived, I replaced them ... and ... 'click, click, click, click' ...

A few naughty words later ... then I had a cunning thought ... 'can't be, surely?' ...

I bent the speedo cable mount out slightly as the cable did look very close to the con-rod bolt ... and ... BOOM!! PERFECT!! Silence again!!

Beautiful smooth runner as well.

Rob, here's another for your 'famous creations' ... Rebuilt Merchant Navy ...

Al.

I think a loop of line on the floor of a living room is the heart and soul of model railways.

These tabletop things are just a fad... a passing fancy, temporary fashion.  Here today, gone tomorrow.

And clicking noises? Usually rods in my experience.

cheers   off on a Stanier Princess photo creation mission now!  

• Like 2

Just looking at your pics, the other thing that strikes me about the class is that apart from the "extended King" appearance, the size of the cab is so proportionally small compared with the bulk of the loco that it reminds me of the tiny appendage that clung to the end of the Great Bears boiler!

(and in terms of balance, the Bear would look much better with one of those large Stanier tenders behind it?)

Great_bear.jpg.da644ca6d43b1bd504c5ba121067ed76.jpg

• Like 3

But back, almost to Swindon,   to Stanier at least,  I have been recently looking at various pictures of the 'old' 2001 tooling Princess and rather like it...  especially since you can buy them for UKP60-90 these days, as new, 

pictures coming but a new computer is making this rather a trial...

here is a rough idea...

702648260_46203_princess_new_computer3ab_r1500.jpg.c7be05a0d41b6abe8c1d1d4a4bd65593.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, robmcg said:

But back, almost to Swindon,   to Stanier at least,  I have been recently looking at various pictures of the 'old' 2001 tooling Princess and rather like it...  especially since you can buy them for UKP60-90 these days, as new, 

pictures coming but a new computer is making this rather a trial...

here is a rough idea...

There are lots of ways the older models could be improved but when there was a hint some years ago that Hornby might tool a new Princess I hastened to buy the existing model rather than have a new one with flangeless trailing wheels. However, the new Duchess shows that Hornby seems to have come up with a way of fitting flanged wheels satisfactorily, so that they are in contact with the rail. The trouble with Hornby these days is that we can never be quite sure how a model will turn out. Consider the 71, with no easy way to fit a decoder, let alone a speaker; the 87 with a similar problem (though not as bad) and poor lighting control; the Duchess with flanged trailing wheels which can’t turn unless some of a cross-member is carved away and a drawbar which cannot be fitted on the shorter setting. This sort of thing says to me that Hornby needs to take more care in designing and checking. It’s all the more frustrating because Hornby models tend to be exceptionally smooth and quiet runners.

On 22/08/2019 at 06:25, No Decorum said:

There are lots of ways the older models could be improved but when there was a hint some years ago that Hornby might tool a new Princess I hastened to buy the existing model rather than have a new one with flangeless trailing wheels. However, the new Duchess shows that Hornby seems to have come up with a way of fitting flanged wheels satisfactorily, so that they are in contact with the rail. The trouble with Hornby these days is that we can never be quite sure how a model will turn out. Consider the 71, with no easy way to fit a decoder, let alone a speaker; the 87 with a similar problem (though not as bad) and poor lighting control; the Duchess with flanged trailing wheels which can’t turn unless some of a cross-member is carved away and a drawbar which cannot be fitted on the shorter setting. This sort of thing says to me that Hornby needs to take more care in designing and checking. It’s all the more frustrating because Hornby models tend to be exceptionally smooth and quiet runners.

I have never been too bothered by the flangeless rear truck but tend to enjoy my models on diorama, and for making photos.

To me the air around the front bogie and the split rear truck housing were the most obvious drawbacks, but for the 2001 market and type 2 radius it was understandable. I have always thought the shape and 'presence' of the tooling rather good.  But many here disagree, just as they don't like the dome on Bachmann's V2 models...

Thus I am pleased to own several of these Hornby Princess models, and today bought a weathered 46203 R2226 which will no doubt feature in new photos..  Still looking for a weathered BR maroon version.

Here are slightly sharpened Hattons pics of the weathered BR green version which was UKP79. I haven't had a single Hornby Princess which has not gone well.

46203_princess_R2226-PO07_3488426_Qty1_2abcdef_r1500.jpg.ce53737174841a952502b6a5e22a3e75.jpg

46203_princess_R2226-PO07_3488426_Qty1_2a_r1500.jpg.a9e4b0a9e0b94ebc60e924e4247ef9b6.jpg

I have no doubt that the 2019 tooling will be superb.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm, not worrying about flange-less wheels, correct shade of BR/GWR Green or correct front bogies atm. I'm just still wondering how on earth I got HMCS Snowberry in my spray booth!!

snowberry_27.jpg.e1c139d5587fb9880fc65fdbdd99bac3.jpg 

For a sense of scale my layout is 10' 6" wide ;) 

And here HMCS Snowberry is doing her best Poseidon Adventure impression (after I refitted the rudder and fitted the screw).

snowberry_30.jpg.1745c3799e7f5ccd5d70c14536027852.jpg

• Like 2

The question arises, how will you get it out....?  Just out of interest have you weathered any Hornby Princesses?  (although I wouldn't want to distract you from your nautical duties)

back to older Hornby Princess models for a moment, here is a weathered BR Maroon version 46208 with sound, out of my preferred price range, and altered around front bogie with editing just for fun.

46208_princess_s-l1600a_1abcdefg_r1500.jpg.c0bbc72079f654e1b12167f65ab0a6b6.jpg

I still think the old tooling rather nice....   :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, robmcg said:

The question arises, how will you get it out....?  Just out of interest have you weathered any Hornby Princesses?  (although I wouldn't want to distract you from your nautical duties)

back to older Hornby Princess models for a moment, here is a weathered BR Maroon version 46208 with sound, out of my preferred price range, and altered around front bogie with editing just for fun.

Actually I did, a little over 5 years ago...

46207_lhfan2019.jpg.914c2c078ccc62259b071274264d04c1.jpg

46207_rhfan2019.jpg.edc3c62348afbc1d7bee331d2eb94559.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, robmcg said:

Yes, that’s the one I went for. The sound is what Hornby used to offer before TTS. The sound is reasonable, if not quite up to present standards. TTS is reasonable for diesels but fails (in my view) to reflect how a real steam locomotive functions. At the time of purchase, I was impressed by the representation of the bogie bearings on the frames even though there was no corresponding bearing on the bogie itself. Hornby is doing bogies rather more impressively now.

As for unflanged wheels, I admit to having a fetish about them. I’m a child of my time – when I caught the model railway bug, they were on the way out. All the same, that early trailing truck could be improved upon.

HMCS Snowberry? Nautical but nice! :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

I'm, not worrying about flange-less wheels, correct shade of BR/GWR Green or correct front bogies atm. I'm just still wondering how on earth I got HMCS Snowberry in my spray booth!!

snowberry_27.jpg.e1c139d5587fb9880fc65fdbdd99bac3.jpg 

For a sense of scale my layout is 10' 6" wide ;) 

And here HMCS Snowberry is doing her best Poseidon Adventure impression (after I refitted the rudder and fitted the screw).

snowberry_30.jpg.1745c3799e7f5ccd5d70c14536027852.jpg

Looks good.

Had to spray mine in the garden (workmate's got rather multi coloured over the years!)  on a warm summer's day.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, robmcg said:

I've got 2 gbr princesses (so older Hornby shape) and a started k's kit. Maybe one day I'll have a working one... just saying.

• Like 1

This had been 'a major problem' for me once purchased 'new' as it was shorting out.

It had been sat in one of those foam holders awaiting a 'few spare moments'.

All motion is perfect - very smooth at it is (was) 100% 'new' - as new as a perhaps 12 year old locomotive can be I suppose - no marks anywhere.

Lifting the base plate I figured there might be a chance that tiny square of insulation had moved and the pickups were shorting out on the chassis, so I replaced with a larger piece of insulation tape.

I also had a 'little scrape here and there' at the generous helping of solder on the 8-pin DCC mount ... and ... all appears perfect and has been ever since.

I then fitted the detailing; front steps (forward position), brake rods, sand pipes (a pain!), then added crew, replaced the front hook with a silver-painted metal 3-link, and got a little 'creative' around the cylinders ...

Al.

5000 20190825-01 small.jpg

5000 20190825-02 small.jpg

• Like 1

Just as I was posting what a superb-running 'new-old' locomotive 5000 is, that dreaded 'click, click, click' started, and a bent piston rod ... !!

Seems to be resolved again - only a little bent, alignment reset, slight kink onto the sliders, then I noticed the valvegear had REALLY loosened up ... so a VERY careful bit of gently crimping and all seems good again ... he writes!

Had a run of several loops with a heavier train of 9 streamliner coaches and no problem - smooth again!

Seems to be confirmed - 'dodged a bullet' as they say!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On the subject of LMS Black 5 No.5000 I do hope your valve gear behaves. When I had a layout with type 2 and 3 radius set track I don't recall any problems with these models, except that the valve gear is both fragile and 'bendable'.

Here is  45000 BR version, the same engine nearer to the end of its BR days, lovely model.

45000_5MT_Black_5_portrait10_6a_r1500.jpg.3c31d05506f9b9575146b01d2cb42a88.jpg 

• Like 3

On the subject of modern tooling, I greatly admire Hornby's recent production, with the caveat that quality can sometimes require replacement or repair. 

Here are two examples I have already shown here and elsewhere, but I do so like them, even though the Princess is an edited pic of the early tooling, both pics being edited.

46232_duchess_portrait21_2abcd_r1500.jpg.2b2df99ec3549a45ae1f668accff0880.jpg

6201_Princess_Portrait15_rain_3abcd_1500.jpg.63cbbb400453bb4d78c556a05bf0b9a1.jpg

• Like 2

On 23/08/2019 at 19:45, No Decorum said:

Yes, that’s the one I went for. The sound is what Hornby used to offer before TTS. The sound is reasonable, if not quite up to present standards. TTS is reasonable for diesels but fails (in my view) to reflect how a real steam locomotive functions. At the time of purchase, I was impressed by the representation of the bogie bearings on the frames even though there was no corresponding bearing on the bogie itself. Hornby is doing bogies rather more impressively now.

As for unflanged wheels, I admit to having a fetish about them. I’m a child of my time – when I caught the model railway bug, they were on the way out. All the same, that early trailing truck could be improved upon.

HMCS Snowberry? Nautical but nice! :D

Interesting about the sound.  I had a two year affair with DCC and Hornby sound in steam and diesel, and it wasn't as bad as TTS ... and diesel can be very good  but then I saw the light and stayed with silent operation.  Sound doesn't scale in a small room, nor a large one for that matter.  Opinion of course. :)

Upcoming Hornby Princess, I have deduced from the ads and publicity so far that will probably not be a version with the flat-side roller bearing 1933 tender.

Hornby R050 has this, albeit not exactly the right proportions, and is a very nice model which will probably still be running in 50 years...  :)

So I bought one, this morning, like this...

1491404209_6200_princesss-l1600(1)_1a_r1600.jpg.462545320b67710b8ac22780540c6004.jpg

and with an idle couple of of hours work...  well, if you call messing around with a picture work, it became,

this...

1852073145_6200_princesss-l1600(1)_3a_r1500.jpg.3fb6ddc7d9d36f01ef59663d03c56afe.jpg

Even has the correct shorter firebox for those difficult two years before the super-heating was increased, and O S Nock wrote of how 'touch and go' the full Glasgow-London trip was for crews and coal capacity alike....    also has the bump on the smokebox side, not sure when that disappeared, it was still there in photos of 6201 in early 1935.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

On 26/08/2019 at 03:03, atom3624 said:

Just as I was posting what a superb-running 'new-old' locomotive 5000 is, that dreaded 'click, click, click' started, and a bent piston rod ... !!

Seems to be resolved again - only a little bent, alignment reset, slight kink onto the sliders, then I noticed the valvegear had REALLY loosened up ... so a VERY careful bit of gently crimping and all seems good again ... he writes!

Had a run of several loops with a heavier train of 9 streamliner coaches and no problem - smooth again!

Seems to be confirmed - 'dodged a bullet' as they say!

Al.

I love the Hornby Black 5, it's a very fine model, and recently I photographed an even earlier engine than 5000...  the series from I think 5020 to 5049 built by the Vulcan Foundry?

Anyway it was one of those photos which just 'comes out right'..   at least I like it!.

5036_portrait4_LMS_Black_5_early_condition_2abc_r1500.jpg.b2853a31b771a5f19ec96c3a58c51229.jpg

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

I don't know if and when Hornby will repeat LMS 6200 'The Princess Royal' in 1934-form, so here is my effort..   impatient young man that I am. :)

1921041556_6200_princesss-l1600(1)_1a_r1600.jpg.375b3bfc3dce6171d08f8a30b5c70868.jpg

6200_princess_portrait22_3ab_r1500.jpg.84688770329bdf5863439c12652d61b5.jpg

Cheers. I'm hoping the new tooling will resemble the lower photo. The Engine Shed pics show such detail, albeit there is no sign of an early tender as shown here. Perhaps during some anniversary or other something will be made as a special run  at suitable premium price...  Here's hoping.

A likely rendition of the newly-tooled Princess, all guesswork on my part... based on a pic of 2001-tooling but with beveled drivers, pipes added  still has original smokebox front, the new model will have separate darts 

46203_princess_portrait25_3ab_r1500.jpg.36fbb8804738a031a8d9ca927c417fc6.jpg

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1