Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, robmcg said:

but why wait for Hornby when you can have a static display 00 model for UKP13.50,  with a little bit of persuasion with photo editing... :)

46203_princess_static_portrait1_2abcdef_r1500a.jpg.e9ac43bce5d6f379f762abff21aa53e0.jpg

Is that one of the GBL ones Rob? Perfect if you wanna represent the loco that was stuffed and mounted for a time at Butlins. 

On 06/09/2019 at 15:04, Hilux5972 said:

Is that one of the GBL ones Rob? Perfect if you wanna represent the loco that was stuffed and mounted for a time at Butlins. 

It was sold on Ebay by West Shore Models  in Llandudno as a 'Hornby lookalike'...'perfect order'    but in fact not in very good nick... not assembled very well but relatively easy to fix, or would be if I wasn't a ham-fisted left hand only clutz.. it was sold as a static model and has nice scale flanges...  it arrived like this..  which is just how it was advertised. It wasn't located properly on the chassis, quite nicely moulded and I've got it about 95% straight now...  a skilled modeler could make it nicer. As in pic a couple of messages back.

Img_3649a_r1500.jpg.1666d8fa150e4d4acf616aced641ee24.jpg

Came with front steps, injector pipes under cab,  but very much a copy of the 2001 Hornby tooling, I don't know who makes or markets them.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Using the very same model as above, and bit of shall we say generous editing, here is another tilt at the upcoming Princess class from Hornby.

With nicely beveled drivers as per the Duchess, but scaled down a wee tad, front brakes, and other details being pretty much at recent Duchess standards, I am looking forward to seeing progress on this model. Hornby list 46207 as their choice for crimson lake as per 1957-62 but I've chosen 46204.. the plastic static model's tender, cab, boiler and cylinders are pretty much unaltered.

46204_princess_portrait26_3a_r1500.jpg.16e3beac9c6f6976bd8ccb065b246d59.jpg

• Like 2

If loco has the wheels and bogie cast as one piece with one piece plastic motion and cast handrails then most likely to be GBL. On the long running GBL thread there were some who managed to cut or mill off the wheels and drill the remaining chassis. Some locos would just fit on a Hornby or equivalent chassis (A4 for instance). T9 had useful chassis parts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, railroadbill said:

If loco has the wheels and bogie cast as one piece with one piece plastic motion and cast handrails then most likely to be GBL. On the long running GBL thread there were some who managed to cut or mill off the wheels and drill the remaining chassis. Some locos would just fit on a Hornby or equivalent chassis (A4 for instance). T9 had useful chassis parts.

Yes they are one piece mouldings, nicely made fine handrails not separate . I have never heard of GBL.    Learn something every day. :)  

The one I bought for £13 was very poorly assembled as you have seen in pics above, but properly assembled make a fair representation of the Hornby 2001 tooling Princess.

I am simply impatient for progress on the 'new' Princess!

Can't find any reference to GBL anywhere....  except what may have been a near-giveaway magazine thing?  

found this...

1 Mallard and the �A4� Class. Mallard Class A4 LNER Blue livery. Mallard. Hornby inspired Model.
2 Coronation and the �Duchess� Class. Coronation LMS Princess Coronation Class LMS Maroon Livery. Hornby inspired model.
3 Flying Scotsman and the �A3� Class. Class A3 LNER Green livery. Hornby inspired Model (Flying Scotsman As NRM with smoke deflectors).
4 The Churchward �2800� Class. WR Class 28XX 2-8-0 Goods Loco BR Black livery Late Crest. Hornby inspired Model.
5 Stowe and the �Schools� Class. SR Green Livery. Stowe. Hornby inspired model.
6 Evening Star BR Class 9F 2-10-0 BR Lined Green livery Late Crest. Evening Star. Later Hornby Tender Drive inspired Model.
7 The English Electric �Deltics�. Deltic (Production) Class 55 BR Two-tone Green livery. Bachmann inspired Model.
8 The Stanier �Black Fives�. LMR Black 5 4-6-0 loco. BR Lined Black livery. Early Crest. Hornby Tender Drive inspired model.
9 City Of Truro and the �City� Class. GWR City of Truro 4-4-0 loco. Early GWR Green livery. City Of Truro. Bachmann inspired model.
10 Gresley�s �K3� and �K4� 2-6-0s. LNER Black livery K3 2-6-0. Bachmann inspired model.
11 Winston Churchill and the Bulleid �Light Pacifics�. Original type Battle Of Britain Class 4-6-2 loco Winston Churchill in SR Green Livery. Later (Tri-ang) Hornby Railways type Loco Drive inspired model.
12 The Fowler �3F� �Jinty� Class. LMS Black livery Class 3F 0-6-0 tank Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
13 The Collett �Castle� Class. BR Green livery, Early Crest, 4-6-0 Loco. Hornby (Ex Airfix) Loco Drive inspired model.
14 No. 1000 and the Midland �Compounds�. MR Maroon Livery 4-4-0 loco 1000. Bachmann inspired model.
15 The BR Standard �4MT� Tank Class. BR Lined Black livery Class 4MT 2-6-4 Tank Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
16 Butler-Henderson and the �Director� Class. GCR Green livery 4-4-0 Loco. Butler-Henderson. Bachmann inspired model.
17 The BR Intercity 125s. Original BR Blue-Grey livery Class 43 Power Car. Hornby inspired model.
18 The GWR Small �Prairies�. GWR Green 2-6-2 Slope-Tank Prairie. Lima inspired model.
19 The �Princess Royal� Class. BR Lined Maroon Princess Royal 4-6-2 Loco. Princess Margaret Rose. Hornby inspired model.
20 The �T9� �Greyhound� Class. LSWR Green 4-4-0 loco. Hornby inspired model.
21 King Edward II and the �King� Class. BR Express Blue Livery King Class 4-6-0 Loco. Hornby inspired model.
22 Green Arrow and the �V2� Class. LNER Green livery 2-6-2 Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
23 Caledonian �Single� No.123. CR Blue livery (as preserved) 4-2-2 Loco. (Tri-ang) Hornby Railways inspired model.
24 No. 24 The BR Sulzer �Peaks�. BR Blue livery 1Co-Co1 Diesel Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
25 No.25 The Wainwright �C� Class 0-6-0s. SECR Lined Green livery 0-6-0 Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
26 The BR Standard �Moguls� and 2-6-2Ts. BR Lined Black livery 2-6-0 Tender Loco.
27 No.27 Stephenson�s Rocket. LMR 0-2-2 and Coach. LMR Yellow livery (As replica). (Tri-ang) Hornby Railways inspired models.
28 The LMS �Royal Scot� Class. BR Lined Green livery, Late Crest, 4-6-0 Loco. Airfix GMR inspired model.
29 The Holden �B12� Class. LNER Lined Green livery 4-6-0 Loco. (Tri-ang) Hornby Loco Drive inspired model.
30 The Collett �57XX� Class Pannier Tanks. GWR �Shirtbutton� green livery 0-6-0 PT loco and GWR Shunter�s Truck. (Tri-ang) Hornby Railways inspired loco, Hornby inspired Shunter�s Truck.
31 The Maunsell �N� Class 2-6-0s. BR Lined Black livery 2-6-0 Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
32 Britannia and the BR �Pacifics�. BR Lined Green livery 4-6-2 Loco. (Tri-ang) Hornby Railways Tender Drive inspired model.
33 The Stanier �8F� Class. LMS Black livery. LMS Black livery 4-6-0 Loco. Hornby inspired model.
34 The BR �Western� Diesel Hydraulics. BR Maroon livery Diesel Loco. Lima inspired model.
35 The Gresley �J39� and LNER 0-6-0s. LNER Black lined livery 0-6-0 Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
36 The Hawksworth �County� Class. �G Crest W� Green Livery 4-6-0 Loco. Airfix GMR inspired model.
37 The SR �Lord Nelson� 4-6-0s. SR Green livery 4-6-0 Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
38 The Ivatt �2MT� 2-6-2Ts. BR Lined Black livery 2-6-2 Tank Loco. Bachmann inspired model.
39 The Peppercorn �A1/A2� Pacifics. British Railways Apple Green livery Class A2 Blue Peter. Bachmann Inspired model.
40 The BR Brush Type 4s. BR Two-Tone Green livery Class 47 Loco. Lima inspired model.
41 �Locomotion No. 1�. 0-4-0 loco with Chaldron wagon. Fits OO / HO Gauge Track. Possibly HO scale model.

Edited by robmcg
added list
  • Like 1

The GBL series was a boon for weathering exercises and for motorising experiments.

The first issue (Mallard) was priced at 99p, I think the second issue (Coronation) was £2.99 and the rest £8.99 an issue.

I motorised Mallard using a Triang Hornby "Flying Scotsman" chassis and Coronation using a "Duchess of Sutherland" chassis of the same era.  Other motorisations included the Western and the J39, though the GBL Western chassis was also a direct copy of the Lima model and apart from a bit of drilling for the non-motored bogie, the Lima bogie set just dropped in!

I bought several others for weathering practice and a couple of Class 47s to replace the bodies on the Hornby TTS Class 47 as I preferred the two tone green livery to the Large Logo Blue as supplied.

The Locomotion model was a very scaled down version of the Bachmann O scale pewter static model and is more TT3 than HO.

Edited by Hroth
Korrekshuns....
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

The GBL series was a boon for weathering exercises and for motorising experiments.

The first issue (Mallard) was priced at 99p, I think the second issue (Coronation) was £2.99 and the rest £8.99 an issue.

I motorised Mallard using a Triang Hornby "Flying Scotsman" chassis and Coronation using a "Duchess of Sutherland" chassis of the same era.  Other motorisations included the Western and the J39, though the GBL Western chassis was also a direct copy of the Lima model and apart from a bit of drilling for the non-motored bogie, the Lima bogie set just dropped in!

I bought several others for weathering practice and a couple of Class 47s to replace the bodies on the Hornby TTS Class 47 as I preferred the two tone green livery to the Large Logo Blue as supplied.

The Locomotion model was a very scaled down version of the Bachmann O scale pewter static model and is more TT3 than HO.

Not many for sale anywhere so far as I can see, a few on Ebay were damaged and poorly presented, but cheap, any ideas?

There's a thread somewhere in the bowels of RMWeb that discussed the series at length, had wishlists for a possible series two (most unlikely) and pointers to where they could be sourced after publication ceased.  There used to be a number of vendors on ebay who had access to what were possibly remaindered shop stock but who charged eyewateringly to supply the most sought after issues.

The publisher had a limited amount of issues that they sold online for what they charged for subscription copies, but I've no idea how you could place an order now!

The best thing, I suppose, is to search for the thread...

Which I did.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69535-great-british-locomotives/

There's 271 pages to wade through...  :jester:

(The first post mentions that the Coronation was £5.99 and Mallard was £2.99, so a bit more expensive than I recalled, though the full price was remembered correctly.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the link, I worked backwards with random pages to p240 then rather fell asleep....  though I must say my poorly assembled Lizzie made a nice photo at UKP13.

I must be too rich, I don't mind paying UKP80 for a mint new running Hornby Lizzie, Duchess, A3, A4....   :)   But I do recall days of messing around with Kitmaster, Hornby Dublo and to a very minor degree Triang...

To be honest, we have never had it so good.  A mint double-chimney A4 60029 Woodcock late version by Hornby unsold on auction locally, and buy now at under UKP80 so far ignored. Admittedly not well photographed, I'll bet the front brackets are missing or damaged...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A shameless edited guess at the approximate general look of the new Princess for 2019-2020.  Using an old-tooling UKP70 46203 renamed renumbered and with late-tooling Duchess tender frames and under-cab injector piping...   the planned new version will be 46207 not 46208 as shown here...

Handsome engines! The body and wheels of the engine are essentially unedited, all in a nice soft evening sun direct light. 

I can't wait for the new ones! :) 

46208_princess_portrait31_2abcde_r1500.jpg.44380abfa7fd705e2bbc58d1342ed1e5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/09/2019 at 10:32, Steamport Southport said:

Some of the GBL models were better than others.

The Jinty for example was virtually a slightly simplified Bachmann one with a diecast chassis. Loosen a couple of screws and you've got a body that is easily motorised either with a RTR or etched chassis.

Jason

Agree with you and Hroth about GBL. The jinty was very good, resprayed and renumbered that one, got a comet chassis kit for that.  Same with standard class 4 tank, this has reminded me I haven't started that yet! T9 converted to original condition, midland compound to 999 inside cylinder class (think that's right, not at home to check at moment). 

Also as said, locos like A4 and WC just fitted on old Hornby chassis.

Plenty of opportunity to chop around, convert, paint, weather, re use old chassis etc. all for £8.99 a go, without risking a £100 plus loco to experiment with.

Also the magazines were quite good, written in conjunction with the national railway museum.

On 09/08/2019 at 12:32, Hroth said:

Sounds feasible, an ideal running-in turn Holyhead to Crewe and a bit more sensible than a local passenger turn!

As far as my distant, dodgy memory goes, we got as far as Rugby before she was swapped out for a 40 that took us as far as Llandudno Jct, where we alighted. Rumours that the Four Seasons wrote a song about it are untrue, but it was December, 1963.

• 2 weeks later...

On a slightly different tack, although still pining for the re-tooled Princess, I edited a pic to create a 46251 'City of Nottingham' in pristine condition with later tooling wheels and other bits and it shows just how good Hornby are...

46251_nottingham_portrait_1_2abcdefg1_r1500.jpg.e2e2945b5a71d958dd1e3384a49d0d88.jpg

Not that the old tooling was bad...  (again, edited)

46228_Duhess_of_Rutland_portrait20a_2abc_r1500.jpg.0dd39f2433531473257b57f8d92a7fda.jpg

cheers

compare this to 46228 Rutland...

46232_Duhess_of_Montrose_portrait12_late_crest_2abcdef_r1500.jpg.36d8e1fb0c5f23cd5b7f0685491ee2ac.jpg

Edited by robmcg
addition of Montrose
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you've seen my thread you'll know I've been very busy with buildings. However with the Timber Tracks Goods Shed ready for weathering, I was able to make a return to rolling stock and loco's..

First up, it's not Hornby, but Heljan Diesels cry out for some dirt..

D5309_lh.jpg.aa14c7a39387e682037582989dc6f7d5.jpg

Anyway back to the other H, I spent yesterday adding screw-link couplings & corridor connectors to a rake of Southern Maunsells, including a Restaurant Car..

rc_inWorks_01.jpg.7c7648ab934ccb8cad80f23c4dce0704.jpg

I have a King calling me back to the workbench..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sncf231e said:

Dapol has announced the DEE: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/OO-Gauge-Preorder/D-class-pre-order?product_id=3612

And ACE has announced it for Gauge 0.

Regards

Fred

I know, I was being a bit mischievous and it looks like it will be a stunning model.  Congratulations to Rails, Dapol and the NRM.   Of course we have the Hornby T9 as a benchmark...  I have always thought that is a great model too.

Very pretty!

I don't know about "Hardwicke", nowadays the NRM seem to be wanting to have a licencing deal for a particular model of any of their locomotives, "Flying Money Pit" and the "Fast Duck" for example.  And for some reason, there seems to be an antipathy towards producing models of 2-4-0 classes.For example, the GER T26/LNER E4 is a loco crying out for a RTR release, but no-one wants to do it, yet turn the wheel arrangement about and Hornby will quite happily churn out thousands of GWR 14xx locos!

So yes, an Improved Precedent would be wonderful, considerig that the only pre-Grouping LNWR locos RTR are  the Webb Coal Tank and the G2 , but perhaps to break down the barriers a little,  something that Hornby might be more comfortable with would be a Precursor 4-4-0 or an Experiment 4-6-0.

Of course, the other problem with LNWR locos is that the livery isn't that colourful....

Thinking on, there should also be at least one LNWR 0-6-0 tender engine.  Something like a DX/Special DX or a 17" Coal Engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_DX_Goods_class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_17in_Coal_Engine

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Very pretty!

I don't know about "Hardwicke", nowadays the NRM seem to be wanting to have a licencing deal for a particular model of any of their locomotives, "Flying Money Pit" and the "Fast Duck" for example.  And for some reason, there seems to be an antipathy towards producing models of 2-4-0 classes.For example, the GER T26/LNER E4 is a loco crying out for a RTR release, but no-one wants to do it, yet turn the wheel arrangement about and Hornby will quite happily churn out thousands of GWR 14xx locos!

So yes, an Improved Precedent would be wonderful, considerig that the only pre-Grouping LNWR locos RTR are  the Webb Coal Tank and the G2 , but perhaps to break down the barriers a little,  something that Hornby might be more comfortable with would be a Precursor 4-4-0 or an Experiment 4-6-0.

Of course, the other problem with LNWR locos is that the livery isn't that colourful....

Nothing wrong with the LNWR livery I think ;):

P1010515.JPG.97b0042fbf46521ac74865bef6bae0bc.JPG

Looks good next to the GNR livery:

P1010516.JPG.1c11d7511b96c37b5a2edcd43adc0fa6.JPG

Regards

Fred

• Like 3
  • Agree 1