Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

25 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

Nothing wrong with the LNWR livery I think

I completely agree, there's nothing wrong with Blackberry Black at all.  Its just that the received opinion appears to be that buyers prefer Big Green or Big Red Engines, or any other eyewatering colour.

Ok, I know there are black engines about, its just that it seems to be a livery that is reserved for ever so 'umble engines!

• Like 1

Tell you what, that Hornby paint finish is excellent - detailing 1st class - didn't know they did Hardwicke!!

I have actually been next to Hardwicke many years ago, possibly at Carnforth when it was open as a 'working museum' in the 70's.

Al.

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

I completely agree, there's nothing wrong with Blackberry Black at all.  Its just that the received opinion appears to be that buyers prefer Big Green or Big Red Engines, or any other eyewatering colour.

Ok, I know there are black engines about, its just that it seems to be a livery that is reserved for ever so 'umble engines!

Well, even Webb's compounds were, in the end, rather good.  I love the idea of a renaissance of sorts in LNWR engines like the Precedent or Experiment....    and it would save argument about the correct rendition of Midland crimson lake....

p.s. of course the NER was rather close to the Midland in 4-4-0 design c1900 so we better have an R class..  ?  T'will be interesting to see how the Dapol/Rails/NRM SECR 4-4-0 goes.   Bachmann's Midland Compound is of course superb...

Edited by robmcg
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, robmcg said:

and it would save argument about the correct rendition of Midland crimson lake....

Oh someone will start whinging that it isn't the correct "shade" of black, or the red for the lining bands is the wrong colour.  Just look at the raging debate about Hattons generic 4/6 wheelers, its worse than mediaeval theologians debating the terpsichorean abilities of Angels on a pinhead!

• Agree 1

On 24/10/2019 at 10:48, Hroth said:

Oh someone will start whinging that it isn't the correct "shade" of black, or the red for the lining bands is the wrong colour.  Just look at the raging debate about Hattons generic 4/6 wheelers, its worse than mediaeval theologians debating the terpsichorean abilities of Angels on a pinhead!

I spent some time looking at various Johnson locomotives of the Midland and it would appear that there is in fact no correct livery...   the records from the Derby paintshop have been overlooked or misplaced, leaving us  in uncharted but verdant fields of imagination...

I based a pic on an old pic in an O S Nock book, and being black and white had to simply guess.

Equally I don't know the names of the driver and fireman below but suspect they could get this 7-foot-driver engine up hill and down dale with appropriate style and punctuality..

2201_2P_Midland_Johnson_portrait1_6abcd_r1500abc.jpg.d7e692a4c6525253ac49807962eb709b.jpg

I await the Hornby version with a sense of pleasurable certainty. :)

After all they have done the LMS 2P ....    almost the same engine innit?

40696_LMS_2P_Portrait20_Somerset_and_Dorset_2abcde_full_r1500.jpg.58d95d379ce99c0964b5806a8875d49d.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

November 1944, as the Series 1 Merchant Navies (along with all the other classes) work hard with the war effort and with V1's targeting the South of England, on a recently captured airfield in Belgium a V1 hunter has returned from another successful mission...

tempest_83.jpg.659d9fd820f483dc5c0895e92fe58205.jpg

This can only mean part 4 of the Tempest V build is up..

• Like 4

6 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

November 1944, as the Series 1 Merchant Navies (along with all the other classes) work hard with the war effort and with V1's targeting the South of England, on a recently captured airfield in Belgium a V1 hunter has returned from another successful mission...

tempest_83.jpg.659d9fd820f483dc5c0895e92fe58205.jpg

This can only mean part 4 of the Tempest V build is up..

Once more, a lovely job. These aeroplanes seem to have had a nice wide track, unlike Spitfires and (especially) 109s, which kept falling over as they landed.

22 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Umm I’ll take Swindon thanks 

Here's something rather nice by toboldlygo to be going on with.  :) Late crest BR 4079 'Pendennis Castle' ....  shown by me before but some things are worth a second look.

4079_Castle_portrait2_1abcdefg_r1500.jpg.6adc4201dc69fac8631548786cbdfff3.jpg

17 hours ago, Hroth said:

Looks like a "limited life expectancy" BoB to me!

All the engines on the Southern Region had the sword of Damocles hanging over them, unlike the relatively swift end accorded to Western counterparts.

Not many Castles or Kings like this...

34003_wc_bulleid_portrait10_no_plate_2abcd_r1500.jpg.7f73fda92f2418804e713dca9a5f40c8.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, robmcg said:

Here's something rather nice by toboldlygo to be going on with.  :) Late crest BR 4079 'Pendennis Castle' ....  shown by me before but some things are worth a second look.

4079_Castle_portrait2_1abcdefg_r1500.jpg.6adc4201dc69fac8631548786cbdfff3.jpg

All the engines on the Southern Region had the sword of Damocles hanging over them, unlike the relatively swift end accorded to Western counterparts.

Not many Castles or Kings like this...

34003_wc_bulleid_portrait10_no_plate_2abcd_r1500.jpg.7f73fda92f2418804e713dca9a5f40c8.jpg

Thought the w/c (or BB, can't make out the number!)  had a Terence Cuneo look to it, Good pic!  Where's the mouse?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Meanwhile in the Aviation Hanger at the 'Works' a post war jet takes shape: the Supermarine Attacker...

attacker_14.jpg.d4d52cc902e9e2876a0101885ebe1aeb.jpg

And there's a blog entry too ;) 

Oh and there's stirrings in the Engine Shed too ;)  

Stimulated by doing pics of Merchant Navy engines, also Battle of Britain, I read about the types of aircraft used in the Battle Britain and Blitz and the strategies and tactics used....  all a bit before jet aircraft such above, but what a history! Which led of course to  to jets and more.

Meanwhile I also read a little about Merchant Navy 35003 'Royal Mail' and how it was recorded no less than five times at 100 mph or more in the last months of the 1967 end of SR main line steam.   Notably 106 mph i the last week or so.

So I did this, based on Stewart's Lane but who am I to quibble. :)   And how nice the 2000 tooling still looks...   edited a little with BoB bits..

35003_MN_bulleid_portrait6_16abc_r1500.jpg

• Like 3

An under-rated model in my view, the Duke...  

Not sure where its operational status is now but it was very sad that it was so overlooked in the 1950s when Swindon inexcusably fitted ancient-design exhaust petticoats and did not built the ashpan to plan.    A Kylchap arrangement and better ashpan in restoration showed how it could go. Extremely well!

The Hornby model is in my opinion excellent, here is a fanciful example scene if it had ever received BR grime ...

71000_Duke_Gloucester_portrait_rear_4ab_r1500.jpg.2633a4bbb43778847a4dee0da0f9f630.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I found that the face didn’t look right for me. The smokebox has too much of an overhang on the model. I modified mine and shaved off about 2mm to make it almost level with the running board and it made a huge improvement. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 08/11/2019 at 09:08, Hilux5972 said:

I found that the face didn’t look right for me. The smokebox has too much of an overhang on the model. I modified mine and shaved off about 2mm to make it almost level with the running board and it made a huge improvement. 

Yes it's intriguing the way we have little things which niggle about a model, I have several of my own. I'd like to see better quality front bogie wheels as standard on Hornby models, as in slightly bevelled, narrower, finer flanges,  but of course there's always the aftermarket. And finer front profiles wouldn;t help on rough track or pointwork.

In general I think the so-called think clever era models like the DoG and CoN, even the Star are greatly under-rated especially for the price.

I notice Lord Nelsons being discounted now, and some other recent releases like the Scottish 0-6-0s and bathtub Duchesses. I am please that Hornby are still trading and look forward to the new Princess. 

Edited by robmcg
error
  • Agree 1