Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

But that does not answer the question that Rob asked.

Which is best?

Read the very own statement that you have quoted from my original post.

I am sorry if you didn't understand that. I CLEARLY mentioned that my post was off-topic and that I was just adding a list of the models (both best and what I felt past muster today). I also CLEARLY stated that it was just my opinion with models. I've never had an issue with Hornby in 15 years and received excellent service from them. I am nothing but a very satisfied customer from the Welsh, Danish, Italian and Margate manufacturers.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting choices!

Coming up will be an LNER green L1 with teak Gresley brake 3rd suburban as I have a nicely weathered and detailed version I have 'been getting around to' for ages, and as 00 RTR goes it is truly very very good.

Then it will be Britannias and Bulleid light Pacifics, and a weathered detailed Duke of Gloucester, although the latter might not qualify given the thread title. Actually I can never quite get the Bulleid Pacifics quite right around the front either, they often look too skinny and tall, maybe I'll blame my camera.

but until then, here is that O1 63890, a March engine I think in the 1960s, looking very 'steam age'... weathering by linesideandlocos of Wolverhampton.

attachicon.gifO1_ BR_63890_portrait_3ab_r1200_crop1.jpg

Full history of 63890 here, and yes it was a March loco in latter days

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=601504602&loco=63890

Guest Belgian

You're going to get more suggestions Robbie than there are people posting herein!

However, my tuppence-worth would support the T9 and M7, neither of which seems to have had any design compromises, just one or two QC problems (the T9) in the earliest releases. Certainly the M7 is spot-on in every detail, especially the intricate and elaborate p/p fittings and things like the front cab windows which appear to be missing until you turn the engine over and find them fastened in the open position in the cab roof - surely Hornby haven't beaten that in terms of included detail!

Jeremy English

For me as an LMS fan, the Rebuilt Scot and Rebuilt Patriot. Captured the character of these loco's to a tee.

There is an element of subjectivity to all this,Mike,but if we are talking in terms of prototypical fidelity I wouldn't rate either of these 2 as among Margate's best. The rendition of the chimney in particular lets them down. It was widely criticised at the time; indeed, IIRC there's a whole thread on here about the various changes that need to be made to bring them up to scratch.

DR

Full history of 63890 here, and yes it was a March loco in latter days

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=601504602&loco=63890

Thanks for that link, looks like 63890 had five different 100A boilers in about as many years (exaggerating slightly?) maybe that was part of the appeal of Thompson's kind of engineering, that boilers could be swapped quickly. A man before his time. oops off-thread. and a L1 awaits the camera... though it will be hard to better the early BR so well illustrated earlier. Mine is LNER green however.

As to the quality of the T9 and M7 I agree they are superb, and the Class 60, I really must take a look at one, does anyone have a nice photo?

Cheers,

Rob

p.s. an R3191 main range Duke of Gloucester just arrived on my doorstep, now THAT will need some time to sort out too! Intended for weathering.

• Like 1

There is an element of subjectivity to all this,Mike,but if we are talking in terms of prototypical fidelity I wouldn't rate either of these 2 as among Margate's best. The rendition of the chimney in particular lets them down. It was widely criticised at the time; indeed, IIRC there's a whole thread on here about the various changes that need to be made to bring them up to scratch.

DR

Subjective indeed. For the life of me I could never tell the difference between the 'wrong' double chimneys and the 'better' versions on later models, although I agree they never looked dead right in some light from some angles. The Britannia chimney is worse, in my eyes, which makes the Clan a better contender for 'best'...

• RMweb Gold

DR

There certainly is an element of subjectivity in deciding which 'which of Hornby's RTR models is best'. Reading this forum I think you will struggle to find any model which hasn't had its share of critics whether that be for 'prototypical fidelity', running quality, how well its stuck together or indeed the shape of its chimney. All I know is that my Scot and Patriot both run superbly, look very much like their prototype and were reasonably priced at the time. I think it is very hard to seperate any of the 'golden era' models apart and we are lucky that each of the big four plus BR got at least one top grade model each allowing us to be partisan as to which is the best.

... I think it is very hard to seperate any of the 'golden era' models ...

Tangentially, for steam loco models I reckon the golden period from the introduction of the Britannia in 2006 to whichever was the last of the LNER quartet to come out in 2012. In this period Hornby to the generally excellent exterior appearance and detail, good motor and gear reduction, brass driven axle bearings seen on the first six years of Chinese introductions was added: better motor mounting arrangements than seen on the earlier Chinese productions,  soldered on wire connections to the pick up wipers, eliminating the use of the chassis block in the circuit. They fell off this level of attainment with the recent GW models. the real question is, what does it need to get them back on an upward path; ideally having resumed the best level they previously attained? 

• Like 2

I'm kinda torn...  If I was to take into consideration the number of them I've had come past me for renumbering etc, I'd go with the B17.  It's a superb model in almost every respect and only needs a replacement numberplate to correct the rather undersized one on it.

However, if I go with my personal interests, their best model is the Britannia.  It just pips the Standard 4MT, which is still a fab model, but with a silly livery error on the smaller tenders.  With new deflectors though, the Brit looks a whole lot better!  Much like so.....

post-6712-0-58454700-1393861735_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

..... I am not looking for any useless ratings like "DISAGREE" for something that is my very own opinion about a range of products.

Jeffery B then went on to plonk a "disagree" rating on Bernard's post directly after. Anyone fancy plonking a similar rating on Jeffery's just to even things up? :jester:

Jeffery B then went on to plonk a "disagree" rating on Bernard's post directly after. Anyone fancy plonking a similar rating on Jeffery's just to even things up? :jester:

And what was wrong with my DISAGREE? My DISAGREE to his post was just the first part because he didn't get my point. The rest may his his opinion which I don't agree or disagree to.

Looks like you take ratings so seriously that you want to even things up.

Kiddish....

I have visions of Jeffrey B literally screaming at his computer screen   :)   

Anyway.......is this a steam only question?  I ask as a few folk have stated diesel/electrics and nobody has shot em down in flames yet  there is a tag next to the thread title saying "RTR Hornby 00 Steam".

Please clarify.

• RMweb Gold

Anyway.......is this a steam only question?  I ask as a few folk have stated diesel/electrics and nobody has shot em down in flames yet  there is a tag next to the thread title saying "RTR Hornby 00 Steam".

Please clarify.

The tag is there for just for searches and what not. so go right ahead and post..

I've always heard rave reviews of the Britannia, often used as the comparison point with Hornby's more recent offerings. I don't own one but have seen a few operate at my club and they really do seem to cut the mustard. Same goes for the L1. Not my area of interest but I've never really heard a bad word about it. The other recent LNER releases also seem to have escaped Hornby's new approach.

I'm no expert on the LNER A3 and A4 so can't identify any detailing compromises, but as far as I am concerned, they are superb models that are amongst Hornby's best. I own an A3 and 2 A4s, and have never had any concerns about their running. The only issue, a minor one, is that the cab doors are easily displaced.

The 28xx is equally as superb. Mine is an excellent runner and I'm very fond of it.

I think that Hornby really did strike gold with the Maunsell coaches - top quality, livery variations, several types and a reasonable price for a super detail coach. I have found that in a set, simply adding the provided close couplings improves them even further.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For me it is the latest incarnation of the Castle , closely followed by the King Arthur ( original manifestation).

The Castle has superb build quality, has little or nothing wrong with it and runs like a dream.

When I say the original manifestation of the KA I do not mean the old model but the original manifestation of the latest incarnation, runs so smoothly and looks superb. The later models have a different bogie attachment which has more of a tendency to derail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wait a second, is this a positive thread on Hornby! Must be seeing things :D

The reason you are viewing unfavourable postings about Hornby is that they have had a sudden and catastrophic fall from grace. For over a decade,from the arrival of the Merchant Navy to the delivery of the O1 and B17,they were at the pinnacle of excellence.On a personal level,I am spoiled for choice and could not express any view of their "best" model.From a boy brought up on the crudities of post war Hornby Dublo,every release until quite recently has been like my first Hornby Christmas in 1950...and my first sighting in Selfridges in Oxford Street in that October....only better.

• Like 2