The hazards of layout building in Australia

Had some friends of mine who had relations out from the UK staying with them. Once they saw several skink lizards that was enough they decided that Australians had too much wildlife in their gardens. What a bunch of softies.

• RMweb Premium

They wouldn't like my garden in the UK then,

Lizards, Frogs, deer (several varieties), Stoats, feral cats, foxes, Rabbits, hares, rats, Mice, squirrels, sparrow hawks, marsh harriers, pigeons and numerous other birds.

at least nothing lethal like is Austrailia.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

'Bathers' on and towel under my arm I stood on a beach at Trinity Beach nr Cairns looking at a huge sign proclaiming "the following can be found in these waters"  showing silhouettes of (i) a shark (ii) a jellyfish, and (iii) a crocodile/alligator.

The thought of being sharkbait bothered me a little, so I wandered up to the lifeguard sat atop his observation seat. 

"Excuse me, where off the coast of Australia can I swim, without fear of being attacked by a shark ?"

"Follow the coast of Queensland south from Cape Tribulation, along the Gold Coast into New South Wales then around through Victoria all the way to the northern most part of Western Australia...... and you'll find sharks" replied my new found antipodean friend.

"So, to avoid sharks attacks, I need to swim of the Northern Territories, is that correct ?" 

"Yes" - he replied with confidence.

"So, why don't the sharks frequent the waters off the Northern Territories" asked the thick pom. 

"Because the crocodiles eat them !" was the typically sarcastic response I've come to love from Aussies.

I went for a beer in the "beer with no pub" atop a nearby hill - and a few hours passed, and then the local news channel broadcast a breaking story - a showed footage of a 12'0" monster that had got under the nets on the beach at Trinity Beach ............... but a local woman who swam into it was unperturbed because it had worn itself out burrowing in and trying to burrow out again.

The moral of the story ..... "if it walks, runs, jumps, leaps, flies, hovers, swims, paddles or just breaths, and it bites, sucks, stings poisons or kills - it lives in Australia"

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This crawled into my garden today and isn't he/she a beauty. Not sure how my pink tongue will react to his/her intrusion. He/she is in the flattened or "I can't move very fast in this condition state"

post-19545-0-76119100-1412858257.jpg

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 2

I did ask it's intentions but it doesn't seem to speak English/Australian and I don't speak Blue Tongue or the lizard language, so the conversation is a bit one sided. I should add that once "heated" up he/she is a whopper.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Come on, red bellied black snakes, great white sharks, red back spiders, funnel webs, copper head snakes.... And watch out for the drop bears. The cuddly koalas (full of cylmidia) the killer kangaroos... Let alone the cassowaries.. No nothing other than the weather will kill any one in Australia!

I once went out with a woman from Melbourne

• RMweb Gold

Come on, red bellied black snakes, great white sharks, red back spiders, funnel webs, copper head snakes.... And watch out for the drop bears. The cuddly koalas (full of cylmidia) the killer kangaroos... Let alone the cassowaries.. No nothing other than the weather will kill any one in Australia!

Interesting article on drop bears here

http://web.archive.org/web/20130511181210/http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/drop-bears-prefer-travellers-says-study.htm

They sound nasty, almost as vicious as the Lowland wild Haggis.;)

Neil

• Like 1

Then, of course, we have the cheese sausage.

Ostensibly a foodstuff but more accurately described as a cross between a sea-slug and by-products of the rubber industry. Consisting of an envelope of hydraulically recovered carcass material enclosing a pressurised chamber of glutinous synthetic cheese, it's normal body temperature lies somewhere beyond the melting point of lead. When bitten by a predator its natural defence mechanism is to spray its attacker in the face with a generous and seemingly inexhaustible stream of scalding fluid, which then sticks. The resultant pain has the dual benefits of causing the predator to drop the sausage, allowing it to roll into cover underneath, for example, the front seat of the car or the heaviest piece of furniture in the room, and blinding them, rendering them unable to look for it. Barring the availability of a suitable hiding place, the sausage will simply find the nearest patch of fluff or grit and then roll in it, thus rendering itself even more inedible than it was previously.

• RMweb Premium

Ostensibly a foodstuff but more accurately described as a cross between a sea-slug and by-products of the rubber industry. Consisting of an envelope of hydraulically recovered carcass material enclosing a pressurised chamber of glutinous synthetic cheese, it's normal body temperature lies somewhere beyond the melting point of lead. When bitten by a predator its natural defence mechanism is to spray its attacker in the face with a generous and seemingly inexhaustible stream of scalding fluid, which then sticks. The resultant pain has the dual benefits of causing the predator to drop the sausage, allowing it to roll into cover underneath, for example, the front seat of the car or the heaviest piece of furniture in the room, and blinding them, rendering them unable to look for it. Barring the availability of a suitable hiding place, the sausage will simply find the nearest patch of fluff or grit and then roll in it, thus rendering itself even more inedible than it was previously.

Hmm - and I thought a Dagwood Dog was bad enough...

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

You've been to Maccas again?