NOTTINGHAM East Midlands MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION 20-21 March 2010

Galtee More

• RMweb Premium

The car parking situation is something we spend many hours planning and plotting each year. We have the main car park, plus two overflow car parks in adjacent schools. The amount of additional parking we can create on the on-site grassed areas is very much dependent upon the amount of rain we've had in the weeks leading up to the event. I suppose that it's a case of the visitors who arrive earliest get first choice of parking !

Hi,

These assumptions may be wrong, but when i visited on saturday morning it seemed that a lot of the cars/vans in the carpark belonged to the exhibitors, if so, could you free up some spaces if exhibitors were asked to park in the overflow carpark in the primary school next door, which was only a minutes walk away and they can unload before moving their vehicles so aren't inconvenienced when carrying all of their kit? I have exhibited at a fair few shows which have asked us to park 'elsewhere' to give optimum spaces for the public. However as i say i'm only guessing the vehicles were those of the exhibitors, if the vehicles belonged to the public then you obviously already have a similar system in place!

With regards the exhibiton itself, i found it enjoyable overall, picking up many handy bits and bobs, but my only criticism would be the presence of only 1 n gauge layout, although the 2mm FS layouts were very nice and i suppose we were spoilt with last year Basingstoke!

All the best, Richard

Hi,

These assumptions may be wrong, but when i visited on saturday morning it seemed that a lot of the cars/vans in the carpark belonged to the exhibitors, if so, could you free up some spaces if exhibitors were asked to park in the overflow carpark in the primary school next door, which was only a minutes walk away and they can unload before moving their vehicles so aren't inconvenienced when carrying all of their kit? I have exhibited at a fair few shows which have asked us to park 'elsewhere' to give optimum spaces for the public. However as i say i'm only guessing the vehicles were those of the exhibitors, if the vehicles belonged to the public then you obviously already have a similar system in place!

With regards the exhibiton itself, i found it enjoyable overall, picking up many handy bits and bobs, but my only criticism would be the presence of only 1 n gauge layout, although the 2mm FS layouts were very nice and i suppose we were spoilt with last year Basingstoke!

All the best, Richard

Richard,

I think that you're probably correct in your assumptions. For the past fifteen years or so, we've provided a bus to take exhibitors from the hotel to the exhibitiion vednue. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we discovered at the 'eleventh hour' that a bus would not be available to us. Exhibitors, therefore, had to make their own way to the show.

Vehicle parking is in the hands of the security company contracted to the venue. It is they who decide what is parked where. I believe that they use specific areas for different categories of vehicle, at all events at Harvey Hadden.

Thank you for your kind comments about the show. Each year, we try to have a different emphasis, so next year, hopefull, we should have more N Gauge for you.

Ian

How was the evening buffet? Who won the awards?

I've almost surfaced now, after the weekend ! When I'm fully compus mentus (some say I haven't been that for years) I'll put the usual page up on our website. I'm seeing the Compeitions Manager this afternoon and I'll try to remember to get the full list off him.

Thoroughly enjoyed the show - again, I've been a regular attendee for the last few years, preferring it to York. Being a blue diesel fan, 8 layouts set in 1970's onward was great as far as I was concerned. Only thing I was a bit miffed about was seeing the REx 37501/37502 locos on sale on one of the traders stands (can't remember which one) for less than I paid REx direct.

Just a quick vote of thanks to the organisers and exhibiters. A very enjoyable Sunday afternoon. Not too busy, but plenty of really excellent layouts to view. My 7 year old daughter very much enjoyed operating Barry Whitehead's Past & Present, being allowed to not only drive them around, but also shunt in and out of the yard and station. Something she is not allowed to do on Daddy's layout !

I enjoyed the slow speed shunting of Summatt Colliery, an interesting use of 2 sector plates to move long trains in a small space.

My friend's 4 year old daughter could not be dragged away from Lytton CPR. She loved the "Long" trains and was even more excited we she found out how to get around the back to see all the trains in the fiddle yard. We could not go until they had all been through at least once. She also got to drive Past & Present, prefering the kettle over the Class 31.

I must admit that going to a model railway exhibition with 3 kids under 8 would not be my first choice. But there was enough going on to keep them happy, enough space so they did not get under other visitor's feet and enough good humour from the exhibitors to make us all feel welcome.

Well done all smile.gif

Thank you for your kind comments. I'll try to ensure that they're passed on to all concerned and, especially, Barry.

Glad you and your family enjoyed your day with us.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the slow speed shunting of Summatt Colliery, an interesting use of 2 sector plates to move long trains in a small space.

Glad you enjoyed the show, Sunday was a first for us with two trottles in operation so movement was almost continuous - good news for the punters but hard work for us operators - no let up wink.gif

Archived