JD's B&W photos around Bristol

OK, this is definitely the last posting of photos under this topic as I have run out of material for the Bristol area. The following were taken at St Philips Marsh in 1961, generally, the quality is poor but someone may be interested in the content. Before that however, I did find one more 'atmospheric' shot taken at Patchway.

post-7952-0-38819800-1393941093_thumb.jpg

The rest are all St Philips Marsh. This was after Bath Road shed had closed to steam and its allocation of steam locos had been transferred to 'SPAM'. in due course, this shed would also close and the remaining locos  transferred to Barrow Road which had, by this time, been transferred to the Western Region.

post-7952-0-26275900-1393941099_thumb.jpg

7024 Powis Castle and 5055 Earl of Eldon

post-7952-0-70020400-1393941104_thumb.jpg

6999 Capel Dewi Hall

post-7952-0-38152800-1393941109_thumb.jpg

5069 Isambard Kingdom Brunel

post-7952-0-77206600-1393941114_thumb.jpg

5018 St Mawes Castle

post-7952-0-90149800-1393941119_thumb.jpg

4988 Bulwell Hall and 5910 Park Hall

post-7952-0-78977300-1393941130_thumb.jpg

7029 Clun Castle and 1011 County of Chester. We are so used to seeing Clun in preservation that it's a bit of a shock to see it looking so grubby!

post-7952-0-45860900-1393941125_thumb.jpg

In the photograph of the crab you can see two of the ex L&Y pugs that used to shunt the Avon Street branch.

Great set of photographs, they bring back memories of my childhood. Thank you for sharing them.

Depot photos are just great. They show how much of the sleepers became sunk into the cinder ballast, and the odd pieces of detritus that were scattered around almost at random. Not forgetting the weeds that soon sprouted everywhere on the lesser used tracks.

All very difficult to get right on a model.

The one of (not very) Clun Castle has a couple of interesting bits in the background:-

the ex-LNER 21t Loco Coal wagon, with cupboard doors and spoked wheels, but no 'Loco Coal' branding between the doors. I remember seeing a newly-shopped one with the branding- in 1969...

The tracked crane ( I think it's a Priestman) for loading the ash from the ashpits.

I wonder what the lettering on the BR 21t mineral (the black panel above the loco chimney) is?

Hi John,

Robin tipped me off last night that you had been posting some photos.  The picture of 42825 is very interesting as I'm building a model of this loco.  Nice to see all of the other pictures too and I'd be interested to see what you've got of the East Midland sheds.

Cheers.....Morgan

Hi John,

Robin tipped me off last night that you had been posting some photos.  The picture of 42825 is very interesting as I'm building a model of this loco.  Nice to see all of the other pictures too and I'd be interested to see what you've got of the East Midland sheds.

Cheers.....Morgan

Hi Morgan,

You ain't going to believe this! I was just looking through my midlands photos and there in a line up of four 'crabs' at Burton on Trent is your friend 42825. Watch out for the new topic!

John

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Superb pictures, you didn't happen to go the other Side of Ableton lane tunnel and get a shot of severn tunnel East signal box or the severn tunnel mouth

Sorry, I don't think so. We tended to keep out of sight of signalmen!

John

Superb pictures, you didn't happen to go the other Side of Ableton lane tunnel and get a shot of severn tunnel East signal box or the severn tunnel mouth

Hi Steve,

Is this what you were looking for. I don't know how I missed it before!

John

post-7952-0-89639300-1413979819_thumb.jpg

While digging around for the last shot, I came across three more that were taken when I was trying out a very, very old bellows camera given to me by a great aunt. It should probably have been in a museum! I'm afraid it wasn't a great success so the quality is quite poor, which is probably why I didn't post them before!

All 1961 Between Pilning and the Severn Tunnel

John

post-7952-0-61172700-1413984398.jpg

6019 King Henry V on the up Red Dragon

post-7952-0-03861800-1413984402.jpg

4156 on the car train than ran between Pilning and Severn Tunnel Junction as an alternative to the Aust Ferry or driving around via Gloucester

post-7952-0-12645200-1413984405.jpg

The beginning of the end! DMU's had taken over from Halls on the Bristol to Cardiff service

post-7952-0-27322500-1413984409.jpg

6028 King George VI 

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Went over (under?) several times on this on the way to childhood holidays by car from Cardiff to Cornwall, Swanage, and Hayling Island.  You had to book in advance at peak times (school holiday weekends).  There was an end loading dock at Severn Tunnel Junction and one at Pilning; the train would be a Collet 60' BCK and a bogie carflat, with a matching SK as a strengthener and another bogie carflat or two.  I've seen photos of it with 4-wheel carflats but I don't remember those.  Motive power would be a large prairie, which would go like the clappers to clear what was a very busy main line, or a Hymek with lined maroon Hawksworths towards the end.  I have no idea if any of the 3150s at Severn Tunnel ever worked the train.  The carflats, the last ones in train ferry use, survived for many years as part of the Severn Tunnel Firefighting train, stored in the old end loading bay.

The cars were driven on to the flats by their owners, and held in place with wooden chocks and leather straps around the axles, fitted by railway staff.  I have always thought that Pilning in this period would make a good club exhibition layout, with the car ferry's shunting causing as much disruption to the main line traffic as it did in real life and lifting it above the usual 'tailchaser' category.

Severn Tunnel Junction's association with carflats lasted much longer, as the old steam shed was used by BMC/British Leyland for years as a distribution centre, with trains arriving from Longbridge and Cowley with cars for local distribution and exporting via Avonmouth, the origin of the trade now carried on at Portbury Dock.  The carflats were still being used into the 80s alongside 'Cartic 4' sets, but not mixed as the flats were vacuum braked and the Cartics airbraked.  Both types of stock were allowed to run as Class 4 75mph trains.

Had a couple of trips on the Beachley-Aust ferry as well; you couldn't book that and the queues were longer than driving around via Gloucester, but father had a dread of the A38.  Both routes were absolutely fascinating to a small boy!

Archived