Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium

I have looked in on the thread from time to time and really enjoyed the project but having just caught up from a couple of months ago, I had to comment on the turntable mechansim.

My two all time favourite layouts are Borchester and Buckingham and in terms of the period, the feel and the atmosphere, you are very much carrying the Borchester torch aloft.

Now, with your Meccano turntable, you are invoking spirit of Peter Denny and some of his mechanical contraptions!

So you are carrying on the traditions of my two modelling heroes!

Lovely stuff!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I met Peter quite a few times over the years, he was a lovely man. He reminded me of my father, who was also a Vicker. What is it about Vickers and railways I wonder? I also had the privilege of operating Buckingham once when we took the old MKMRS O gauge layout to the Truro show one year. He is sorely missed and I'm very pleased that Buckingham has been saved. You are quite correct the turntable mechanism does indeed evoke memories of Buckingham and Peter.  

Regards Lez.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I have looked in on the thread from time to time and really enjoyed the project but having just caught up from a couple of months ago, I had to comment on the turntable mechansim.

My two all time favourite layouts are Borchester and Buckingham and in terms of the period, the feel and the atmosphere, you are very much carrying the Borchester torch aloft.

Now, with your Meccano turntable, you are invoking spirit of Peter Denny and some of his mechanical contraptions!

Lovely stuff!

Wow!  Really kind of you to say so.

In my youth I think the Borchester and Buckingham layouts were among my favourites; I've got and read repeatedly Peter Denny's books and articles, and Frank Dyers articles, so perhaps it's not surprising that the influence has rubbed off.   I do find urban termini the most interesting kind of layout, both in terms of operational interest and the way they're crammed into compact spaces which makes them ideal for modelling.  Initially I thought I would just have enough room for a 'Minories' type layout with only suburban traffic, but surprised myself by how much could be fitted in, so there's turned out to be a greater variety of traffic than I originally envisaged.

Anyway, thank you again for the kid comments.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 31A said:

Wow!  Really kind of you to say so.

In my youth I think the Borchester and Buckingham layouts were among my favourites; I've got and read repeatedly Peter Denny's books and articles, and Frank Dyers articles, so perhaps it's not surprising that the influence has rubbed off.   I do find urban termini the most interesting kind of layout, both in terms of operational interest and the way they're crammed into compact spaces which makes them ideal for modelling.  Initially I thought I would just have enough room for a 'Minories' type layout with only suburban traffic, but surprised myself by how much could be fitted in, so there's turned out to be a greater variety of traffic than I originally envisaged.

Anyway, thank you again for the kid comments.

Only saying what is deserved.

I always look at layouts and ask myself if I like the way it looks and if it would be one that I enjoy operating.

Yours gets big ticks in both boxes. The crammed in look really works and it demonstrates that you can build a layout that is really all railway with very few square inches of scenery and still make it look convincing.

The urban terminus does give the opportunity to get a much more varied operational pattern in the same space as many people would fit a sleepy little branch line.

Having operated Buckingham usually twice a week for the last 8 years, I have grown to appreciate that sort of operating very much indeed. There are so many different ways of dealing with an incoming train and on yours, Platform 1 is just for arrivals and on Buckingham Platform 1 is only for departures. Having a platform like that adds the need for empty stock shunts into the mix.

So Finsbury Square is very much my sort of layout and I may well be nicking a few ideas for my next 4mm one, which may well be an urban terminus with a joint MR and GCR pre-grouping theme. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 31A said:

I was only joking about the mess!!

For the avoidance of doubt, so was I. No chinchillas or other vertebrates have been harmed during the construction of my layout (the same cannot be said of some invertebrates such as spiders, beetles, etc.).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Lovely stuff!

Now, here's a question for "those who were there". How fast does a turntable turn? In model form I've seen some really slow ones, which don't look right to me. I suppose that walking pace for the poor old crew shoving it round would be about right but what about vacuum- or electric-powered ones?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Now, here's a question for "those who were there". How fast does a turntable turn? In model form I've seen some really slow ones, which don't look right to me. I suppose that walking pace for the poor old crew shoving it round would be about right but what about vacuum- or electric-powered ones?

A very good question.  The motor which drives mine is labelled "9 volts" and I feed it with 6 volts; nevertheless I sometimes think the turntable is turning too fast.  I see you can buy variable voltage DC supplies (Amazon etc.) and was thinking of buying one and trying it with different voltages.  Or obviously, it could be fed with a variable supply from a model railway controller.  But the other day I was watching some DVDs and one showed a loco being turned on the King's Cross (Top Shed) vacuum motor driven turntable, and it did seem to spin quite quickly.  So perhaps mine isn't so far off after all.  If I can find the footage on YouTube I'll post a link.  I'm inclined to think maybe it's one of those things that doesn't 'scale' very easily (like speed, or time).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 31A said:

A very good question.  The motor which drives mine is labelled "9 volts" and I feed it with 6 volts; nevertheless I sometimes think the turntable is turning too fast.  I see you can buy variable voltage DC supplies (Amazon etc.) and was thinking of buying one and trying it with different voltages.  Or obviously, it could be fed with a variable supply from a model railway controller.  But the other day I was watching some DVDs and one showed a loco being turned on the King's Cross (Top Shed) vacuum motor driven turntable, and it did seem to spin quite quickly.  So perhaps mine isn't so far off after all.  If I can find the footage on YouTube I'll post a link.  I'm inclined to think maybe it's one of those things that doesn't 'scale' very easily (like speed, or time).

Yes please Steve, that will save me searching!

Otherwise, next time you watch the DVD perhaps you could time the rotational speed (which should scale) for us...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Otherwise, next time you watch the DVD perhaps you could time the rotational speed (which should scale) for us...

Lunch break, so here we go:

Rowsley, Peak Rail, vacuum, approx 2 min 50 sec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4LweLWr94

Unidentified location (Minehead, WSR?), hand, approx 2 min https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6137bv

NRM, York, electric, approx 1 min https://www.facebook.com/nationalrailwaymuseum/videos/419337532321631/

Minehead, WSR, hand, approx 1 min 30 s http://www.unseensteam.co.uk/just-seen/your-turn-2018

Churston, SDR, hand, approx 3 min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgFF0O36FMM

Take your pick!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't find the footage I saw on the DVD on line, so thanks for the links above.  When I have time to go through the DVD again, I'll try and time it from that.

On the video that I took of the model turntable the turning takes 37 seconds, so maybe it is a little bit on the fast side!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Turntable Trauma... we've all been there

Oooh dear!  Something like that did actually happen with my turntable; I had to put an unexpected insulated rail joiner at the points end of one of the roads and in doing so, the rail ended up longer than it had been at the turntable end, and the turntable rail fouled it.  Unlike the Indian one though, the turntable had so much torque in it that it just kept on turning, and in fact bent the rail!  A good reason why it should have an emergency stop switch, which I still haven't fitted so at the moment the only way of stopping it (before it reaches its stopping position) is to switch it off at the mains!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Lunch break, so here we go:

Rowsley, Peak Rail, vacuum, approx 2 min 50 sec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4LweLWr94

Unidentified location (Minehead, WSR?), hand, approx 2 min https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6137bv

NRM, York, electric, approx 1 min https://www.facebook.com/nationalrailwaymuseum/videos/419337532321631/

Minehead, WSR, hand, approx 1 min 30 s http://www.unseensteam.co.uk/just-seen/your-turn-2018

Churston, SDR, hand, approx 3 min https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgFF0O36FMM

Take your pick!

So I have to spend 3 mins pushing my turntable. Cor realism can be a bit boring.  

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

OK, found it; it was on Marsden Rail 32 "East Coast Main Line King's Cross to York".  It's in some footage shot in the 1940s, which gives a very good idea of steam depot working, and shows a V2 being turned on the Top Shed turntable.  Unfortunately it isn't continuous footage; the camera cuts to other things whilst the loco is being turned, and the sequence only lasts 26 seconds which must be too short to show the whole operation.  The speed of turning does seem quite fast, though!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Time and motion relative to time don't scale very well I'm afraid. I'm sorry but you just have to deal with it and decide which way to compromise you want to go with.

It's Quantum what can I say I got 2.4 ish when I did a mental gross error check, I thought I was best keeping quiet as it always comes as a shock when someone tries to scale time LOL

Regards Lez.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1