Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, 31A said:

Some excitement for the local train spotters today.  One of them peered round the depot gate and saw a BR Standard 7MT 70010 stabled there!  The evening rush hour took on quite a "BR Standard" flavour.

IMG_3183.jpg.78be00cac1ef4607768f2355257d046c.jpg

IMG_3185.jpg.13561e48df221739699e882d87f9745d.jpg

A3 60070 was rostered for this turn, but has failed quite seriously.  The idler gear wheel has split, and the motor just spins without producing forward movement.  Trying to remove 60070 from the timetable spreadsheet produced some nasty error messages, so another Pacific was called for and 70010 came to mind; temporarily for rostering purposes it is now "60070".  I've had the Brit for years and it's a lovely model, but usually lives in its box.

Still no ballast in the loco yard.

Must be a Stratford 'pet' or ex Royal duties. Looks very smart Steve. Ref. the excitement for spotters, in about 1959 I bunked Laira when I was supposed to be at a school cricket match, and lo, as I peered through the gloom having snuck in the back way, there was Tornado sitting in the Roundhouse, looking very smart along with a couple of 9Fs. Never saw it again as far as I'm aware. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Must be a Stratford 'pet' or ex Royal duties. Looks very smart Steve.

Thanks Phil!  Hornby made a good job of the BR green on that one; I haven't done anything to it.  I intended to weather it when i bought it, but couldn't bring myself to do it!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 31A said:

I intended to weather it when i bought it, but couldn't bring myself to do it!

No shame there. While much of the weathering I see is skilful and does ape the state of a train of the era, nice bright paint schemes are pretty attractive, too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

That building is class; join the Gravy Train (see what I did there?) Steve.

Looking forward to admiring the details in a few weeks (Virus situation allowing).

Duck.

Thanks Mallard!  Hopefully there'll be a bit more progress before then (but no viruses).

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

G'Day Folks

I wouldn't worry to much about a bit of wonky guttering, the building in real 'Life' would be in the region of 80/90 years old, and a very hard life it would be to.

manna

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 31A said:

Last night I knocked up this shelter for the coalmen working the coaling plant.  I didn't have any drawings or anything to go by, so it's based on photos.  They seem to have been different at each depot, anyway.  The narrow gauge 'tubway' runs underneath it, beside the standard gauge siding and as far as I can make out the men stood in the wagons and shovelled the coal into the tubs - there doesn't seem to have been any kind of platform inside them.  I used Wills plastic corrugated iron sheets and some Evergreen H and channel section styrene.  Eventually the plastikard base will be recessed into the cork underlay.IMG_3231.jpg.20e2968925fd7c65326a882ab1198457.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg.abc26a70babd847db24fe509ae650f3d.jpg

I agree Steve, well the one's at Finsbury Square and Sheffield Exchange were.

100_5619a.jpg.bcea3f01805071dac22c1855fda750ec.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Clive, I like your diagonals - I may copy; I thought there was something missing!

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I agree Steve, well the one's at Finsbury Square and Sheffield Exchange were.

Thank you Clive, I like your diagonals - I may copy; I thought there was something missing!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Not much modelling today, but some steamy action at the real station.

Sadly this may have been Union of South Africa's last run on the East Coast Main Line; I'm sure the whole city must have been aware of it!   Two Pacifics in one day, and good to see Britannia again, I haven't seen her for quite a while.  Very smart she looked, too.

IMG_3253.jpg.d5dfc2bbed418cffce55a7403fe995dd.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg.60f79bf3f8ea2457fc846296064a06b2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Buttocks. Did I miss that on the ECML then? I didn't even check to look.

P

No Phil, neither of them were ECML through Retford.  60009 was from Ealing Broadway but via the Midland, Chesterfield, Beighton, Pontefract (so really only on the ECML between Chaloner's Whin and York station!) and 70000 was from Shrewsbury via Manchester then Hope Valley (outward) and Calder Valley (return).  I understand the Ealing Broadway train was meant to have Duchess of Hamilton for the return but it was 'unavailable' so a WCR 47 took the train back.  Not sure where 60009 is going next!

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hi Steve, just popping in to say that I've enjoyed having an overdue catchup on your progress today. The depot office building is very characterful indeed, and as always I continue to enjoy your operational descriptions with the loco roster -- this side of the railway has always been of interest to me and you're fortunate to have a layout with the operational capacity to run in this way! Shame to see 60009 leaving us, what an icon she's been.

Adam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hi Steve, just popping in to say that I've enjoyed having an overdue catchup on your progress today. The depot office building is very characterful indeed, and as always I continue to enjoy your operational descriptions with the loco roster -- this side of the railway has always been of interest to me and you're fortunate to have a layout with the operational capacity to run in this way! Shame to see 60009 leaving us, what an icon she's been.

Adam

Thank you for those kind comments Adam, glad you like what you see!  As you may have gathered, I also like timetables and railway operational organisation.  Yes, very sad to see 60009 bow out; I think she may have a little longer to run on heritage railways?  Anyway, John Cameron has done well to keep her running for longer than BR or the LNER did!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where has this thread been lurking and hiding all these years, and how have I missed it? But I've added it to my 'follow' list now.

An excellent and atmospheric layout.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grahame said:

Where has this thread been lurking and hiding all these years, and how have I missed it? But I've added it to my 'follow' list now.

An excellent and atmospheric layout.

Thank you, Grahame - very kind of you to say so, and glad you like it.  I'm not sure whether it's been hiding, but I don't always update it very often!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

How did you get '39 to look like it's the proper colour, not Hornby Nasty 'green'

It is the Hornby green, but after renumbering and changing the emblem on the tender it's had a coat of the magical Klear (or however you spell it!) over the green and then weathering by usual methods, perhaps a bit more heavily than sometimes.  It's probably been said before, but it's surprising what a difference the Klear makes to the Hornby green.  Likewise with T-Cut which I used to use, but that is a lot more laborious (especially getting all the white residue off) and risks removing the insignia (usually when you don't want to).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 31A said:

Well this self isolation malarkey is all very well, and I've certainly got a lot of modelling done, but I suspect the novelty will wear off sooner rather than later.

Anyway, the last couple of days I've reverted to teenage Airfix kit construction mode, and put together a Walther's Cornerstone Double Track Girder Bridge that I picked up for a reasonable price at the Wakefield show second hand stall a few years ago (it doesn't seem to be available any longer).  It's going to act as a view blocker to screen off the fiddle yard from the decent part.

I hope it'll give the impression of the kind of bridges that were / are outside Liverpool Street station although I know the girder pattern isn't quite the same:

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p319746925/h2a1c0438#h2a1c0438

It was an interesting kit to put together; more parts than I expected but most of them fitted together well.  There's quite a lot of detail, and quite a lot of it is girder work in the base.  The kit is meant to carry railway lines on an open structure, but here the road surface will hide a lot of this detail, but I fitted the parts anyway and for now we can see things like this:

IMG_3295.jpg.16a92f741bc4e1fc87b28c7f0e3479f4.jpg

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/men-at-work-on-worship-street-bridge-outside-liverpool-news-photo/80857812

But eventually it will carry road traffic; here's a bus but other vehicles are available.  The bus does give an impression of the size of the structure - I thought it was a bit tall, but with a double decker on it it doesn't look too bad:

IMG_3297.jpg.3ad1ff00e782466aae72ace65aabe8bc.jpg

So here's the kit put together; the next thing is probably to build the proper abutments for it.

IMG_3296.jpg.a84e496ebee12040ba18abf598223a16.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg.0b14274f62ccb9dee7f3f67b4d83df0a.jpg

Very Liverpool Streetish :good:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

It's quite nice really for a plastic truss girder bridge isn't it? Of course the proof of the pudding will be down to the weathering won't it? :angel: You can have a field day on that! I'm looking forward to this, I like your weathering you have a good eye for it.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1