Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

G'Day Folks

I misread your last bit, and thought you'd said you had replaced your 'Limby 'Pace maker' !!!!! Nice loco.

The racing N7's remind me so much, of leaving the 'Cross' in the late afternoon/early evening and racing a class 47 or Deltic between Gasworks tunnel and Holloway, especially when your banging the side of your class 31 to make it go faster !! 

manna

Edited by manna
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I misread your last bit, and thought you'd said you had replaced your 'Limby 'Pace maker' !!!!! Nice loco.

The racing N7's remind me so much, of leaving the 'Cross' in the late afternoon/early evening and racing a class 47 or Deltic between Gasworks tunnel and Holloway, especially when your banging the side of your class 31 to make it go faster !! 

manna

Thanks Manna,

It's a good job there isn't a tunnel on my layout or I'd have to fill the coaches with smoke!  Did banging the side of the 31 really make it go faster, then?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

G'Day Folks

We always used to be in front until we got to Western sidings,( class 40 & 46) where we had to start to brake for our stop at Finsbury Park, we could hold our own against a class 47, but Deltics used to draw ahead, from Holloway. All good fun.

manna

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I watched that go down mate.:ireful:

It had all our heavy equipment on including all of our chinooks apart from bravo november. It turned into the most overworked helicopter in history. Fortunately it was there or I wouldn't be here. 

AC even had most of our guns. Luckily not our rapiers so we still had our air defence.

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Steve.

I shouldn't have popped off on your thread. Please accept my apology. 1982 might have been 38 years ago to most people but to some of us it still seems like yesterday. PTSD is like that I guess.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
Just now, lezz01 said:

Sorry Steve.

I shouldn't have popped off on your thread. Please accept my apology. 1982 might have been 38 years ago to most people but to some of us it still seems like yesterday. PTSD is like that I guess.

Regards Lez. 

No problem Let; it sounds as though you went through a terrible ordeal of the kind most of us can only imagine, I'm not surprised it left an indelible impression.  I must admit it doesn't seem like 38 years ago to me either, although I wasn't directly involved.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 1 month later...
On 25/07/2020 at 23:28, manna said:

G'Day Folks

manna

Pretty much my thoughts, except leaving Liverpool St came to mind. I remember a report In Trains Illustrated of a rush hour departure from LiverpoolSt with an N7 the Bethnal Green line , a diesel hauled express on the fast line , and Gidea Park stopper on the slow line, all going up Bethnal Green Bank side by side but with the N7 outpacing the other two !

No doubt about it Finsbury Square absolutely oozes atmosphere and that was a great video.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Pretty much my thoughts, except leaving Liverpool St came to mind. I remember a report In Trains Illustrated of a rush hour departure from LiverpoolSt with an N7 the Bethnal Green line , a diesel hauled express on the fast line , and Gidea Park stopper on the slow line, all going up Bethnal Green Bank side by side but with the N7 outpacing the other two !

No doubt about it Finsbury Square absolutely oozes atmosphere and that was a great video.

Thank you, glad you liked it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The excitement of trying to bunk the shed... what a brilliant shot.  DefiDefinitely a cop for me...

Thanks Doc, glad you like it!  The wall is actually the front edge of the layout; you can see that the bit below ground level is varnished plywood.  It helps to stop me knocking locos onto the floor, but I thought I might as well make the non-scenic side look like a wall, as well as the inside, and I thought leaving a gateway in it would give an opportunity for views such as this.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

I seem to have got a bit carried away, and the 'quickly' part of that was forgotten.

Like it ! AMS - Advanced Modeller Syndrome - is a thing in the aircraft/armour scale modelling community, the inability to build anything out of the box without etched or resin gucci bits. The accepted cure is to build something horrific (like a Matchbox three colour kit) using only the tools available when you were 14, in a day. No aftermarket bits or even filler, bonus points if you get it painted and the transfers on before bed time. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
On 01/10/2020 at 16:30, Wheatley said:

Like it ! AMS - Advanced Modeller Syndrome - is a thing in the aircraft/armour scale modelling community, the inability to build anything out of the box without etched or resin gucci bits. The accepted cure is to build something horrific (like a Matchbox three colour kit) using only the tools available when you were 14, in a day. No aftermarket bits or even filler, bonus points if you get it painted and the transfers on before bed time. 

Hi

I still use the same type of tools for my modelling as I did when I was 14, I am now 63.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi

I still use the same type of tools for my modelling as I did when I was 14, I am now 63.

I still use some of the same tools! My Dad's old electrical screwdriver, pliers and wood chisels for example.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I too still use the modeling tools I had as a teen. I also have all my dads engineering tools and his tool chest. He was a toolmaker back before he got the calling and became a minister. I followed in his footsteps and trained as a toolmaker as well before serving in the army. I returned to it after serving through the 80's so I have an extensive range of tools, both old school and more modern ones, many made by my father and myself as apprentice pieces and if I don't have one chances are I can make it or something that will do the job just as well.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 4