Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
Just now, AY Mod said:

There is; there's a little icon in the menu in the editor box with a page and magnifying glass which should show 'Preview' when you mouse over it.

Thanks Andy, I'll have a look at that next time I post.  I often find typos etc. leap off the screen at me when I re-read it in 'preview'!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely model isn't it Steve?  The crane is an occupational hazard of modelling a cramped and crowded scene. I do it often enough, as you know, and if I move the loco to avoid it happening something else usually manages to intrude instead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Lovely shots - Klear really does work magic on model steam locomotives, somehow killing the plastic look and making them look like painted metal.

Do you have a bottle of the famed original, or one of the new-fangled replacements?  If so - which one?  I can't make head nor tale of which one I ought to buy since the original is not available anymore.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 31A said:

It may be in part due to the poor lighting when I took that picture, but yes 61580 has been 'weathered' to represent a clean engine.  The boiler cladding, cab sides and tender sides have had a coat of Klear followed by a wash of 'grot' (matt black and matt leather mix), most of which has then been washed off again although some remains in the corners etc., and has probably also toned down the printing of the lining.

Here's another picture of her, taken from a different angle.

P1020234.jpg.0c18688da615571d1578929e75f42527.jpg

Not to mention real coal,Steve.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

Lovely model isn't it Steve?  The crane is an occupational hazard of modelling a cramped and crowded scene. I do it often enough, as you know, and if I move the loco to avoid it happening something else usually manages to intrude instead.

Thanks Gilbert, yes it is - I think it must be Hornby's best model, at least of the ones I've got!

5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Lovely shots - Klear really does work magic on model steam locomotives, somehow killing the plastic look and making them look like painted metal.

Do you have a bottle of the famed original, or one of the new-fangled replacements?  If so - which one?  I can't make head nor tale of which one I ought to buy since the original is not available anymore.

Thank you!  Yes, surprising what a difference it makes.  At the moment I'm still using the original Klear which I had to decant into a milk bottle after the original split!  Rather surprised it hasn't gone solid or something yet.  I've got a bottle under the sink of Astonish Wood Floor Polish which I think I've read is an alternative, but haven't tried that for model railway purposes yet.

4 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Not to mention real coal,Steve.

Yes, real coal makes a big difference, too.  No crew on that one yet; to be honest I've struggled to find suitable crew figures for locos like 4-6-0s which have big 'splasher boxes' in the cabs.  Meanwhile, they've gone in search of a brew!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

3 hours ago, 31A said:

Thank you!  Yes, surprising what a difference it makes.  At the moment I'm still using the original Klear which I had to decant into a milk bottle after the original split!  Rather surprised it hasn't gone solid or something yet.  I've got a bottle under the sink of Astonish Wood Floor Polish which I think I've read is an alternative, but haven't tried that for model railway purposes yet.

Down here, Pledge One Go seems to be the successor to the old Klear. I don't know if you can get that in the North.

Caveat: I haven't yet used it myself so this is only second-hand news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I might have a look for that.  Although at the moment I've still got plenty of the original; I don't know whether it remains useable indefinitely - I sort of suspect that one day I'll take the cap off and find it's gone solid, but not so far!

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Down here, Pledge One Go seems to be the successor to the old Klear. I don't know if you can get that in the North.

Caveat: I haven't yet used it myself so this is only second-hand news.

Surprisingly we are able to buy cleaning products in the 'Gritty North' I have been using Pledge Multi Surface Wax, seems OK, also used it for ballast adhesive, but not as strong as Klear was, well must away to the river to wash my clothes

Ian B

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Ian Blenk said:

Surprisingly we are able to buy cleaning products in the 'Gritty North' I have been using Pledge Multi Surface Wax, seems OK, also used it for ballast adhesive, but not as strong as Klear was, well must away to the river to wash my clothes

Ian B

You have clothes...……?:pleasantry:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, 31A said:

Thanks Gilbert, yes it is - I think it must be Hornby's best model, at least of the ones I've got!

Yes, real coal makes a big difference, too.  No crew on that one yet; to be honest I've struggled to find suitable crew figures for locos like 4-6-0s which have big 'splasher boxes' in the cabs.  Meanwhile, they've gone in search of a brew!

Steve, do you know why Astonish Wood Floor Polish is called that?

ATB

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Steve, do you know why Astonish Wood Floor Polish is called that?

ATB

Phil

No, but I'm sure you'll astonish me with the answer .... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you Neil, glad you like it!  A bit strange, after all the work involved in making it, having weathered it it blends into the background and is quite inconspicuous!  Still I suppose that's realism for you ....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jazzer said:

Just when I think this layout can’t get any better.....it does! It just oozes the late 50’’s/early 60’s feel so brilliantly in almost every detail.

Thank you; glad you like it - I'll have to see what else I can come up with!!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, ianblenk said:

Have some A1 frames in the loft, are they the ones with a spring to fit under the turnout? Or am I thinking about something else?

Cheers

Hi Ian

I think they are. Unless you have the earlier version which was made by J&M models of Maldon. I think the design was sold/given to A1 models. The prototypes for these lever frames were on a model of Maldon East that the then Maldon club made.  I used them on my layout Southbridge with success.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3