Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

2 hours ago, 31A said:

I've been thinking about point rodding for a long time and the last couple of days have been doing something about it.

I'd bought some Brassmasters etches for rodding rollers, but couldn't get on with them, and also had some cast whitemetal rollers from Model Signal Engineering but to my mind these put the rods too far apart.  So I came up with a solution that I hoped might be reasonably quick and easy to carry out, and robust whilst not overscale.  I wanted to portray the way 'square' (U channel) looks, with the runs very close to each other and forming a flat surface across the top.  So I've used the 0.45mm square nickel silver wire Wizard Models sell for the purpose, and cranks from Brassmasters.  The rollers are lengths of 0.9mm wire (under the rods) and 0.45mm wire across the top, soldered onto sections of copper clad sleeper material to represent the stools that the rollers are fixed to.

I made up a run to go between Platforms 3 and 4 as a trial, made up as a unit away from the layout.  I used a piece of thin aluminium as a spacer, but the biggest difficulty was stopping the solder from running down between the rods and filling the gaps between them.

The first picture shows the made up unit, which has been sprayed with Halfords grey etching primer.

IMG_3317.jpg.a773b20f296da1332766416ee01be315.jpg

This shows it installed on the layout.  The crank pivots are pins which have been cut short; they were just pressed into the cork underlay, with the stools glued down with Evo Stik.  This rodding is to drive the points and point locks at the end of Platforms 3 and 4.

IMG_3318.jpg.48b4e969d5d1222d7a5527424496a01e.jpg

Then later, I added the drive to the points on the left, with cranks and rodding leading to its facing point lock, and also short lengths to represent where the rodding passes under the Platform 3 line and under the wooden platform.  I've also added a cover for the Facing Point Lock at the points at the end of Platform 3.  I won't do the rest after there's been some running, in case its causes problems with dangling couplings etc.  Then I've put a bit of ballast / ground cover in the six foot between the two lines.  It's a bit darker than the area was before, but it does make the rodding more visible!

IMG_3319.jpg.83ad66850a4798fa7f761364a83d9443.jpg

Very nice work again Steve...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 31A said:

I've moved on from rodding now, and doing cabling instead.

Cable runs on the sides of retaining walls seem to be such a typical sight, but quite fiddly to do.  Luckily somebody pointed out to me the "Lineside Cable Hangers" which Scale Model Scenery produce (LX281-00) - they're neatly laser cut in plastic and come in packs of 20 - I got hold of 5 packs!  These are to go on the Hornby Skaledale retaining wall sections across the main line from the loco yard - they can be seen in some of the earlier pictures.  The retaining walls are in two sections, attached to thin plywood, and for now can be lifted off the layout which made the job much easier.

I'd intended to put one hanger on each 'pillar' (between the arches) but pictures of real cabling shows the hangers are usually quite close together, so I had to buy more and have mounted extra ones in the centre of the arches.  I fixed these extra ones to 'battens' of Evergreen 80 x 100 thou styrene, which brings them out level with the ones on the pillars.

For the cables themselves, I used some thin white linen thread that I happened to have a reel of - 25 gms it says on the label.  I glued the thread to the hangers with cyano, then painted the thread with dilute PVA which makes them more rigid and also to some extent makes them look smoother, although some old lineside cable seems to have been wrapped in a fabric type of material, not unlike the look of the thread.  Then the hangers and cable are painted dark grey.  In this picture the further section is still to be painted.

IMG_3331.jpg.ed8d2ccc34c98f34f9b439439e314d2c.jpg

When I've finished the cabling, I'll be weathering the retaining walls quite heavily, although I'd like them still to look like red brick.  It's too long a section to do uniformly by brush really, so on a spare bit I've experimented using Railmatch Roof Dirt and Sleeper Grime aerosols, then added a few highlights etc. by hand - the finished job might look something like this, which I think is quite a big improvement to the 'ready to plonk' wall sections:

IMG_3321.jpg.6c7eeaf955633589e604ea9d1f0afd38.jpg

Patience of a saint, Steve. Worth it though, as it does look very impressive.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Cable runs on the sides of retaining walls seem to be such a typical sight, but quite fiddly to do.  Luckily somebody pointed out to me the "Lineside Cable Hangers" which Scale Model Scenery produce (LX281-00) - they're neatly laser cut in plastic and come in packs of 20 - I got hold of 5 packs!  These are to go on the Hornby Skaledale retaining wall sections across the main line from the loco yard - they can be seen in some of the earlier pictures.  The retaining walls are in two sections, attached to thin plywood, and for now can be lifted off the layout which made the job much easier.

I'd intended to put one hanger on each 'pillar' (between the arches) but pictures of real cabling shows the hangers are usually quite close together, so I had to buy more and have mounted extra ones in the centre of the arches.  I fixed these extra ones to 'battens' of Evergreen 80 x 100 thou styrene, which brings them out level with the ones on the pillars.

For the cables themselves, I used some thin white linen thread that I happened to have a reel of - 25 gms it says on the label.  I glued the thread to the hangers with cyano, then painted the thread with dilute PVA which makes them more rigid and also to some extent makes them look smoother, although some old lineside cable seems to have been wrapped in a fabric type of material, not unlike the look of the thread.  Then the hangers and cable are painted dark grey.  In this picture the further section is still to be painted.

When I've finished the cabling, I'll be weathering the retaining walls quite heavily, although I'd like them still to look like red brick.  It's too long a section to do uniformly by brush really, so on a spare bit I've experimented using Railmatch Roof Dirt and Sleeper Grime aerosols, then added a few highlights etc. by hand - the finished job might look something like this, which I think is quite a big improvement to the 'ready to plonk' wall sections:

Wow!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic work on the rodding and cabling, Steve. Both have really added another layer to the great texture and atmosphere you already have on the model. The rodding method is quite the innovation too, looks like a successful experiment to me.

PS was just re-reading your 31A S&T thread as well, admiring the signals but also the townhouses which sneak into the background of many pics! Wonderful.

Adam

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/04/2020 at 19:48, 31A said:

Wonderfully-effective Steve,

My compliments.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Steve, if you have a celebrity tune on your Turntable, might you give us some info about it, maybe say where it has come from and what it might be due to do next (if the Foreman has rostered it?)

That run of tall walling looks very good indeed mate.

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

Steve, if you have a celebrity tune on your Turntable, might you give us some info about it, maybe say where it has come from and what it might be due to do next (if the Foreman has rostered it?)

That run of tall walling looks very good indeed mate.

P

Thank you, Phil.

If people like it I will put some more turntable videos up and  will give some commentary on what's going on, but I must admit the one in that clip was a cheat.  I didn't think any of the locos on shed at the time were elegant enough to be filmed, so I grabbed '1139 from the fiddle yard!  It's actual turn was a couple of days previously (see pic of Bosses, further up).

I think I'd better concentrate on getting the foreground better in focus before I publish any more videoing, though!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 31A said:

Some people post links to music they've been listening to; well here's what's been on my turntable recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDJBoEhrKQ&list=UUZhYb7u_yRjeoZ4k3IGF9Aw&index=1

Frankly, the sound of your TT at work is infinitely nicer than the 'music' some people feel must accompany their railway vids!

That big (48-sheet?) billboard behind the TT seems, in some pictures, to be so bright as to be back-lit, which was unthinkable then. I'm not sure why it appears thus, but it does leap out sometimes, to the detriment of the rest of the composition, sadly. Perhaps it needs a coat of something to dull it a little? 

Spelling!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Frankly, the sound of your TT at work is infinitely nicer than the 'music' some people feel must accompany their railway vids!

That big (48-sheet?) billboard behind the TT seems, in some pictures, to be so bright as to be back-lit, which was unthinkable then. I'm not sure why it appears thus, but it does leap out sometimes, to the detriment of the rest of the composition, sadly. Perhaps it needs a coat of something to dull it a little? 

Spelling!

Interesting you should mention the billboard; it's a bit of an embarrassment if I'm honest.  It isn't back lit but I agree it is very bright.

A while back I got a bit carried away with them; there's a similar one on the other side of the bridge which doesn't really get into the photos.  I thought that looked good, so I did the one you see above as well, before I'd really thought of developing this area as a loco depot.  When I did, I thought I ought to take it off as I don't think there'd be a billboard above a loco turnable in reality.  They'd get filthy, and it would be almost impossible to change them.  So I tried to take it off, but must have glued it on very solidly as it refuses to budge!

I might try again to get it off; something may break but could be mended or disguised I expect.  Having said that, pre-War there were adverts above the loco turntable at King's Cross station, on the end of Gasworks Tunnel, but they were large metal enamelled signs.

• Friendly/supportive 5

On 19/04/2020 at 09:53, Oldddudders said:

Spelling!

Dullcote, maybe.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 12 April 2020 at 19:48, 31A said:

Love the weathering on the retaining walls. the cabling was also very prevalent up in the North East around Newcastle. 

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Love the brickwork Steve.

Regards Lez.

Thank you, I was quite pleased with it.  I suppose I ought to weather it really!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Splendid work... you've made a much better job of yours than I did with mine.

What do you paint the brick work with?  I've got miles of walls and bridge parapets to paint soon

Thanks Doc!

I'm not sure it's a method I'd want to use to paint miles!

I've tried to make it look as though it's relatively new (WW2) brickwork probably using cheap bricks and put up in a hurry.  I think they just built brick walls round the existing bases of wooden signal boxes.  So the basic colour is a (quite random) mixture of Humbrol Matt Brick Red 70 and Matt Orange Lining 82.  Then before that had dried I went over it picking out individual bricks with the two colours on their own and also using Matt Flesh 61.  When that was dry I ran very thin Matt Pale Stone 121 into the mortar lines and let it flow down through the mortar lines over the whole wall.  Then when that was nearly dry rubbed over the top of the bricks with cotton buds to remove the mortar colour from the top of the bricks and leave it in the mortar lines.

I was quite pleased with the result and it was OK for a small building but I don't think I'd have the patience to do it over a large area!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2