OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

Hello everyone,

Here's the latest updated cad/cam designs from china for the J94.

of note are the single and double chassis webbing, alternate smokebox doors, and various other details.

However, work still to do is to add the third set of chassis steps for the versions that had them, remove the gearbox from the underside of the boiler into the firebox, add recess for a drop in casting of the internal valve gear, adjust each version with the correct reversing rod, get the ladders changed to etched versions etc.

As you can see, its 'nearly' there and as such if I can get these modifications changed within a week and unless someone spots that theres a huge mistake my old eyes have missed, i'll go to metal cutting then.

It's worth noting there are 7 (yes seven) different versions being put into the tooling, so if any society or stockist would like a particular version as a special commission I can do that with relative ease.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-51553900-1393842683_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-01573600-1393842712_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-48841700-1393842730_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-34405400-1393842831_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-26874100-1393842853_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-49787500-1393842870_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-21107000-1393843000_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-86634200-1393843034_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-45218800-1393843269_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-22239100-1393843628_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-91876200-1393843657_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-62750200-1393843680_thumb.jpg

But likely lower volume to amortise development costs. A modern OO version will blow the Hornby, Ex-Dapol version out of the water, however good it was for its time.

Did I see someone was doing Errol Lonsdale? Looks like I'll have a choice to make between that and a black BR one...

I don't understand why you are doing this one in 00 first Dave when there is a Hornby version. Surely an 0 gauge one would give you a USP ?

Good luck with it anyway.

Ed

Hi Ed

I suspect the answer to that is that the 00 J94 will be by far the volume seller relative to the other scales and therefore the quickest route to generating cashflow.

As Dave's new model will be "state of the art", DCC ready (and provision for sound I believe) with many of the different variants catered for I don't think the existence of the current Hornby model should be any deterrent.- it is a reasonable model but by modern standards it is now getting on a bit!

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Really, really silly question.....

Is the weight on the centre wheel in the correct place - it seems very near the fitting for the connecting rod, whereas the other two wheels have these opposite.

Stu

I don't understand why you are doing this one in 00 first Dave when there is a Hornby version. Surely an 0 gauge one would give you a USP ?

Good luck with it anyway.

Ed

It may be worth reading the original announcement topic http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75838-djmodels-announce-new-models-in-n-oo-and-o/ where it can be seen there will be an O gauge model (in due course) but there's a bigger market for 4mm and 2mm versions especially when made to contemporary performance and quality standards than a 25+ year old model which is more of a multi-coloured cash cow these days.

The first three pics (for me and numerous others who've ordered them) are a good enough reason anyway. :)

Apart from the ladders looking a touch "heavy", all versions look the proverbial dogs doo-dahs to me! :locomotive:

Roll on the 7mm versions..

JF

Edit..Oops, missed the ref to etched ladders! Perfect then.! Once I know which version I need for Bickershaws last one....

Really, really silly question.....

Is the weight on the centre wheel in the correct place - it seems very near the fitting for the connecting rod, whereas the other two wheels have these opposite.

Er, yes, because that's the driving axle which carries some very heavy cranks as well as the eccentrics, so the balance weight needs to be set "down there" to even out any hammer blow.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Horse, and not really Mickey.

I asked cos I didn't know and guessed it was both correct and there'd be a reason.

I'm just not sure on the proposed livery shown...

• RMweb Gold

I'm just not sure on the proposed livery shown...

;) there's always full yellow if purple and blue aren't to your taste, anyway I thought they remind you of those bathroom furniture items you like modelling ;)

Er, yes, because that's the driving axle which carries some very heavy cranks as well as the eccentrics, so the balance weight needs to be set "down there" to even out any hammer blow.

And that's something that Bachmann took note of after their model of the MR 3F, they got it right on the 4F after having it pointed out.

A lot of inside cylinder locos had the balance weights in positions other than opposite the crankpins but there are also the exceptions of-course, a small batch of 4Fs for instance had experimental inside crank positions.... :scratchhead:

Dave.

Dave Franks.

... when made to contemporary performance and quality standards (rather) than a 25+ year old model ...

I was less than excited by the subject selection - have the Hornby version of a BR J94 I need and got it running very sweetly - but having seen the CAD images I can hear the dangerous siren calls now. "Better rendering of the small detail", "Less intrusion into the underboiler void", "No air gaps through what should be solid structure".

Why do I think the words "Cromford & High Peak" :D

Only problem with Cromford and High Peak is you need oval buffers for that variant........

You can make the wooden cab shutters from bits of the floor of that wagon kit you threw at the wall when the sun melted it enough to never be straight again..........

All the very best

Les

Dave's new model will be "state of the art

Well, almost... in my opinion (slanted by years of experience with Continental HO models) 'state-of-the-art' would mean NEM pockets on close-coupling mounts (extending on curves), which have been standard on Continental HO models for some thirty years.

• RMweb Gold

Well, almost... in my opinion (slanted by years of experience with Continental HO models) 'state-of-the-art' would mean NEM pockets on close-coupling mounts (extending on curves), which have been standard on Continental HO models for some thirty years.

I'm not entirely convinced that extending mounts would really be needed/beneficial on such a short model.

John

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to say that barring anything obvious which my poor eyes have missed I'm now happy with the J94 model in OO gauge and have authorised for tooling to commence.

I will further update my 'timeline' page of my website when I have further details.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-45483300-1399367192_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-04576600-1399367208_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-74340100-1399367228_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-83927000-1399367249_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-39132900-1399367267_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-14067700-1399367283_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-21346200-1399367296_thumb.jpg

Archived