OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dear Anxious,

Taking all issues of manufacturing supply out of the equation for a moment, and looking at your relationship with the supplier in isolation, I would be unhappy with that if I were you.

I cant see how any retailer can accept an order from you without some underpinning guarantee of supply from the manufacturer. What happens if DJM can't supply them? They are promising something that they are not in a position to deliver, as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, if I were you i'd order from DJM directly or from a retailer who does have a proper relationship with DJM that guarantees supply

My post was not a complaint against either retailer or DJ. It was just a query about the ordering process as I was "Anxious" not miss out on order placement so that i did not get my J94.

Actually I have heard from The Goods Yard subsequent to my post above. The Goods Yard have actually been very prompt in responding to me and have been very helpful so I have absolutely no issue with them at all. Neither do I think that there is any problem at all with their relationship with the supplier nor did I suggest there was.

It seems that the situation is, as I also suggested above, that DJ will accept orders once the production run is actually ready to roll so they have exact numbers to produce. On further reflection I have decided that this is fully understandable as DJ would not really want a continuous succession of small orders from every retailer just to sit on desks to await the same point.. Better to wait until production is ready to commence and then accept and place all the known orders from all retailers in one go and this is what I now understand is happening.

Of course, it would have been good to hear more from DJ regarding updates on production schedules as I suspect there may be further delays to the last dates posted. As I said above, I am happy to wait to make sure everything is right but being kept informed is good.

Now I have a clearer picture I am happy with the situation and look forward to the start of production.

I assume that Dave will advise us on here the moment that happens.

Hi everyone,

To clarify slightly, the J94 project has moved on apace and I know that something tangible to actually see, will happen in the next 14 days.

As for ordering? I made a conscious decision not to accept orders until I was happy enough with the model to go into production.

This aids me in the fact that I get single orders from DJM stockist rather than many small ones from stockists who then add here and there up to cut off dates.

I have found that doing the latter causes large problems and as Baldrick said 'we are not home to Mr. C*ck up'.

Any DJM stockist can take pre orders if they choose to, but it's not a pre requisite of having an account, and some, quite understandably, will want to wait for further tangible evidence that the model will happen and be good.

I cannot fault any stockist for having either policy.

Anyway, the next 10-14 days looks to be very promising in a number of counts so please keep looking here or my website/ magazines.

Cheers

Dave

Dear Anxious,

Taking all issues of manufacturing supply out of the equation for a moment, and looking at your relationship with the supplier in isolation, I would be unhappy with that if I were you.

I cant see how any retailer can accept an order from you without some underpinning guarantee of supply from the manufacturer. What happens if DJM can't supply them? They are promising something that they are not in a position to deliver, as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, if I were you i'd order from DJM directly or from a retailer who does have a proper relationship with DJM that guarantees supply

Hi mate,

Providing I get the order forms from stockists back, every DJM stockist will be supplied in full.

Those shops that arrive late to the party and don't become stockists will miss out completely as extra models will not be warehoused on the off chance that they might come forward at a late hour to get an account. ( list of DJM stockists on my web site)

They will of course be able to get trade terms and order second run loco's though if applying after the order cut off date.

I will always look after my stockists, not short stock them to sell direct*, and my trade terms allow them a full % markup should they so choose to sell at RRP.

I will sell direct but only at full retail based on the expressions of interest section on my website. Not as a permanent 24/7 thing for all models once they are available, as all stock will be limited.

Cheers

Dave

HARRY also has a steam jet fitted to his chimney, these were fitted at Walkden to try and thin the amount of smoke being issued from the locomotive.

Useful photo.

Yes, the locomotives worked at, and through, the Worsley land sale yard. Worsley was, and still is, a desirable location and the wealthy locals didn't like the dirty smoke the locomotives produced. The steam 'ring' helped mask the black smoke, just a cosmetic improvement to appease the locals.

Here's a couple of shots that may be useful for details of RSH 7139/1944 'Mech Navvies' taken yesterday whilst I was prepping her for the day at Blaenavon. I did take another one of the underside of the motion from in the pit if anyone is interested in seeing it?

post-8705-0-30802500-1432477116_thumb.jpg

post-8705-0-01194700-1432477129_thumb.jpg

Here you are. Looking back from under the cylinder block

Oh dear, if it is that clean it isn't a real WD............  Even Backworth didn't get that good, and you could use the running plate as a plate for food.

Congrats on getting 71515 immaculate.

Here's a pic from 1972, working in preference to the two diesels..

post-13358-0-07867200-1432582575_thumb.jpg

Note the difference?

Also its stablemate 75167, by now withdrawn.

post-13358-0-41593100-1432582797_thumb.jpg

Les

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

To clarify slightly, the J94 project has moved on apace and I know that something tangible to actually see, will happen in the next 14 days.

Cheers

Dave

That's today!

:yes:

Here's a couple of shots that may be useful for details of RSH 7139/1944 'Mech Navvies' taken yesterday whilst I was prepping her for the day at Blaenavon. I did take another one of the underside of the motion from in the pit if anyone is interested in seeing it?

attachicon.gif20150523_074849_resized_1.jpg

attachicon.gif20150523_124217_resized_1.jpg

I will be looking forward to the locomotives attendance at the Tanfield Railways legends of steam event in a couple of weeks time.

Next Friday should be doubly or even trebly interesting then ;-)

Vapourware....... PAH! Lol

Steady on.

You can't do that.

What are the naysayers and doom and gloom merchants going to do when something actually turns up.

Looking forward to it.

Bernard

I will be looking forward to the locomotives attendance at the Tanfield Railways legends of steam event in a couple of weeks time.

She was getting an extra special clean over the weekend ready for the low loader this Wednesday.

• 2 months later...

Hi Roy,

All J94's are at the decoration approval stage, where China make models with full decoration for comments by myself, and clients.

Once approved (and some will be before others) they are made.

not long now but not a definitive date for delivery yet i'm afraid.

cheers

Dave

Glad to see that some significant steps forward have recently taken place on this project! I cannot wait to see the real thing and I have no doubt that it will be worth the wait. Patience is a virtue  :)

I am also looking forward to the O Gauge version when it eventually comes to fruition... But Dave please make sure to take your time on that one, I need plenty of time to save up the pennies!!  ;)

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Will product code OOJ94-002 (68061, ‘British Railways’ lettering with original bunker) have a smokebox door numberplate? I'm struggling to decide which example to go for, but if not that may be the deciding factor for me. Also, will the different varieties of smokebox door (original, with BR numberplate and gas producer system vent) all be available as spares? I was going to send this to you as a PM, but wondered whether anyone else might be interested to know too.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave paid a visit to C&M Models this morning, and has left one of the engineering samples of the J94 with us to put on display.

For anyone passing through Carlisle who would like to a look at it, please feel free to drop into the shop and we will be happy to let you inspect it more closely. It is an impressive piece of work!

Archived