OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

Nice box. 

Just so I don't have to do one of those unboxing videos that I hate with a passion I can tell you it has a lid which comes off, foam cover tied with a yellow ribbon (like the Kernow products), accessories in press-seal bags, instruction leaflet and some dark spongy foam.  :biggrin_mini2: There; that's saved 10 minutes of your life you'd never get back.

Very sturdy, like a traditional Heljan box.

• RMweb Gold

Just so I don't have to do one of those unboxing videos that I hate with a passion I can tell you it has a lid which comes off, foam cover tied with a yellow ribbon (like the Kernow products), accessories in press-seal bags, instruction leaflet and some dark spongy foam.  :biggrin_mini2: There; that's saved 10 minutes of your life you'd never get back.

You're a spoilsport, that's what you are.  Now I know the ending I can't 'enjoy' the film :jester:  :mail:

I did post some pics earlier but discussions with Dave reveal that the factory has omitted some details and included some details that shouldn't have been there on the press samples. More in due course.

And I thought I was alone in detesting those wasted minutes in reviews explaining how the thing comes in a box. Some even go to great pains reading all the stuff written on the box too. They could improve on that by reading all the instruction sheets and manufacturers guarantee as well.

A re-posting by me to compare the DJM Austerity which is an exclusive edition for Hatton's - 

I've been doing the pictures for Ben's review in BRM but thought I'd take a different angle here and compare it with the Dapol/Hornby model. Hornby currently offer an Austerity for £74.99 compared to the Hatton's exclusive model model at £99.

(Click to enlarge images)
Norman v Robert 1s.jpg
Norman v Robert 2.jpg
Norman v Robert 3.jpg

Observational notes on where the differences lie:

More accurate dimensions, especially in height
Absence of horizontal seam at the bottom of the tank sides
Correct dished-pattern wheel centres
Lack of intrusion beneath boiler
Absence of incorrect vertical seams in tankside
Improved chassis shape and detail
Improved wheel profile
Representation of inside motion
Finer handrails and handrail knobs
Correct length handrail over smokebox
Correct chimeny shape
Improved dome shape
Improved cab bachead detail and planking
Nicely seated chimney to blend with body
Finer bufferbeam detail
Finer lamp brackets
Finer cab-roof detail
Improved step detail
More accurate tank filler-cap
Brake-rodding
Non-intrusive sprung buffers
Smokebox-door dart
Correct bufferbeam height
Strengthening fillets behind bufferbeam
Brake-piping and fire iron accessory set
Improved running and gearing

Negatives:
Holes in bufferbeam for brake hoses (this version didn't have them)
Injector pipe moulding, a big improvement on the Hornby offering although it would be nice if it were a lot finer but it's a moulding issue
Lack of cosmetic couplings.

The wheels are nicer and the tank seam is gone, but personally I think this shows how very close Dapol actually got 33 years ago. The injectors and steps are still too chunky though and adding the rivets doesn't hide that fact.Bachmann have been moulding very fine injector detail (including round pipes) for a while now. The non-blended chimney isn't necessarily an error according to prototype photos.

The wheels are nicer and the tank seam is gone, but personally I think this shows how very close Dapol actually got 33 years ago. The injectors and steps are still too chunky though and adding the rivets doesn't hide that fact.Bachmann have been moulding very fine injector detail (including round pipes) for a while now. The non-blended chimney isn't necessarily an error according to prototype photos.

Agreed. There's some very chunky moulding - compare the thickness of the bunkers - the Hornby one is actually better! The DJM one is a better model overall, but then it should be!

However a cheap secondhand one will tart up nicely!

Mark Saunders

It will also carve up nicely to get to some of the versions Dave doesn't reach (Lambton cab with kit, Geisl ejector etc...)

They look quite good when really grotty.

post-13358-0-63966800-1468014663_thumb.jpg

This one even has wheel flats (I'm not sure what is knocking but it sounds right)- it is a pre-Hornby job chipped and still running reliably despite the knocking.

Les

but how easy is it to Em gauge these?

Can't be certain and I'm probably repeating myself but I'm sure I've read in the past that each of the axles are driven via a gear-train. If that is the case it may complicate conversion. Maybe it will be possible just to pull the wheels out on the axles?

P

Can't be certain and I'm probably repeating myself but I'm sure I've read in the past that each of the axles are driven via a gear-train. If that is the case it may complicate conversion. Maybe it will be possible just to pull the wheels out on the axles?

P

If the chassis construction is anything along the lines of the Beattie Well Tank and the Kernow 02, pulling the wheels is probably the best bet. Somewhere in the 02 thread, someone has shown how they did this.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. There's some very chunky moulding - compare the thickness of the bunkers - the Hornby one is actually better! The DJM one is a better model overall, but then it should be!

There is indeed. Very interesting comparing it to the Hattons 14/58XX EP's a week or so ago, the Hattons led design 14XX has far more finesse to it.

post-68-0-27701900-1468018119_thumb.jpg

Also the glazing is very thick (Ambis do a replacement set for the Hornby version that might work) and there's no internal rear cab detailing.

Cheers Pete.

OT but had a look at the Q6 chassis yesterday. Shouldn't be too difficult to ream the brass bearings to 1/8 inch for you EM'ers. May not even need reaming  looking at the play in six of the bearings. The crosshead looks like it will need some work to provide sufficient  clearance though.

There is indeed. Very interesting comparing it to the Hattons 14/58XX EP's a week or so ago, the Hattons led design 14XX has far more finesse to it.

attachicon.gifj94rc.jpg

Also the glazing is very thick (Ambis do a replacement set for the Hornby version that might work) and there's no internal rear cab detailing.

The Ambis Etch for the prototype 50550 provides a full set of steps. Looking at the current Ambis price list there looks to be a new etch that just does steps and frame gussets.

http://ambisengineering.co.uk/productList.pdf

I was hoping the fitting of after market detailing parts might have been a thing of the past with this release but it seems like there will still be work to do.

P

The Ambis Etch for the prototype 50550 provides a full set of steps. Looking at the current Ambis price list there looks to be a new etch that just does steps and frame gussets.

http://ambisengineering.co.uk/productList.pdf

I was hoping the fitting of after market detailing parts might have been a thing of the past with this release but it seems like there will still be work to do.

P

Show me 1, just 1 UK RTR model that has never needed an after market detailing part (if your of that ilk to fit them of course) and I'll hereby eat my hat. It's sitting here waiting and smelling of delicious licorice by the way. Lol

• RMweb Gold

Plastic moulding has its limits but it does have significant cost savings compared to forming and fitting etch parts. No doubt Dave could have delivered the ultimate model for around three times the price and still been cheaper than a custom etch kit build but how many would afford it?

The Kernow TC has thick plastic steps too because they wouldn't last long if scale as they'd be unbelievably fragile.

The model is a decent step forward in looks and the Hornby one can continue to offer a budget option so duplication with a point ;)

Archived