OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

And the KESR commissioned Dave for a Northian, in KESR colours, I,ll buy one like a shot! Nor sure I would do so if it were the former Dapol model though....

I'd like to say K&ESR austerities would be great for Dave to do but I only recently got mine from R3sprays. Hold off on that one Dave :)

• 4 weeks later...

There are many more images of all sides and angles of all of the first EP samples but time precluded finishing all the images, especially removing the background, but these should be of use or interest.

attachicon.gifDJM_Austerity_5s.jpg

attachicon.gifDJM_Austerity_6s.jpg

attachicon.gifDJM_Austerity_7s.jpg

attachicon.gifDJM_Austerity_8s.jpg

Injectors appear to be half relief, surely not ????

Dave,

Any chance of livery mockups like we have for Hattons King and J94?

Makes knowing which ones (plural!) to order a bit easier.

Hi,

yes i can get those done, but it might be 3/4 weeks as i have a few things on at the moment.

cheers

Dave

Will either of the LNER J94s with the original height bunker have round rear cab windows?

Regards

I would imagine both will as that is how they were built- the LNER/BR only fitted the slit-shaped windows when they enlarged the bunker- the Cromford locos had the bunker extensions burned off.   No doubt Dave will confirm.

Les

Hi Paul, they are wire handrails.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave

Yes, thank you Dave. 

The loco I am interested in modelling is fitted with extensions to the hand rails, and I was wondering about the possibility of soldering to the existing ones once the model is released. 

http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/Juno_l.jpg

Paul A. 

Yes, thank you Dave. 

The loco I am interested in modelling is fitted with extensions to the hand rails, and I was wondering about the possibility of soldering to the existing ones once the model is released. 

http://www.brc-stockbook.co.uk/Juno_l.jpg

Paul A. 

Anything is possible mate,

And remember I'll be carrying spares at launch so if you make a Horlicks of it you can easily try again.

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Time for an update on this project i think.

Rather than go into production with something i'm not altogether happy with, i decided to delay things slightly with the OO gauge J94 to make a few 'tweeks' here and there which i feel have made a big difference to the model.

They include the following,

1) Lower the height of the brake column

2) Remove the horizontal component join line on the lower side of the water tanks

3) Alter the size of the strengthening buffer beam fillets

4) Add a rectangular recess in the running plate under the boiler. This is to take a drop in etched representation of the valve gear.

5) change 2 small details on running plate and on cab.

These have now been done using a revised cad/cam but 2 others (marked yellow on picture attached) are either incomplete or the wrong size.

I expect the changes to be complete by this coming weekend and i will then be in a position to authorise 2nd EP tooling and the start of deco samples for approval prior to production.

Now the million dollar question........WHEN???

Ok this is slightly easier because of the progress made, so although i wont give a date, i can say this......

The 2nd should take a month, but CNY will intervene, so call it 7 weeks. then another 4/5 weeks for deco approval, a month for production, a month on the high seas, and then 2 weeks to go out to stockists who have ordered them.

I'll be sending out order forms to DJModels stockists within the next 3/4 weeks and they will have 28 days to respond with their order. This will be locked down once received and no more will be made for late returned order forms or those stockists who do not apply for an account before that date.

I hope this answers a few questions and that you like the progress and changes made.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-06738800-1421665312_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-31919300-1421665331_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-24173900-1421665342_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-24770100-1421665352_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

I'll be contacting everyone once product is here, to arrange payment and delivery (if they are still required by the modeller after such a wait), so that's a check. Also when you ordered you will have received a generated confirmation of receipt, and i hope you got that?

If you did, then you are still down a having reserved both on the server, my laptop and a hard copy print out and spread sheet.

If you didnt receive a receipt please PM me the details or simply re-order via the web site.

cheers

Dave

I wish I'd seen this before setting out to exercise my bus pass on a trip to Sherwood Models to order one in OO (to add to the six N-gauge models of various types).......

I might well have added a second one!

Mind you by 11.02 I'd nearly got there.

Les

I might even have to go back -  three buses and a journey of all-but two hours each way.

DJM Dave: Rather than go into production with something i'm not altogether happy with, i decided to delay things slightly with the OO gauge J94. The 2nd should take a month, but CNY will intervene, so call it 7 weeks. then another 4/5 weeks for deco approval, a month for production, a month on the high seas, and then 2 weeks to go out to stockists who have ordered.

------------

So, about six months then?

• RMweb Gold

DJM Dave: Rather than go into production with something i'm not altogether happy with, i decided to delay things slightly with the OO gauge J94. The 2nd should take a month, but CNY will intervene, so call it 7 weeks. then another 4/5 weeks for deco approval, a month for production, a month on the high seas, and then 2 weeks to go out to stockists who have ordered.

------------

So, about six months then?

Hello Igor,

I make that 23 weeks. So, sometime around Whitsun.

However....

I would respectfully draw your attention to Dave saying that he's not happy with one or two things. I'm assuming that he'll release the model, when he's satisfied. I'm fully prepared to wait a week or two extra, after all, I'm 'in' for a couple of these.

In the meantime, I'm awaiting the Bachmann 64xx, which we already know, has a small fault or two.... Oversize splashers, etc.... My wallet will need a breather.

Give the bloke a break. It's his own investment, after all.

Ian

I make that 23 weeks. So, sometime around Whitsun.

However....

I would respectfully draw your attention to Dave saying that he's not happy with one or two things. I'm assuming that he'll release the model, when he's satisfied. I'm fully prepared to wait a week or two extra, after all, I'm 'in' for a couple of these.

Give the bloke a break. It's his own investment, after all.

5 to 6 months, 23 weeks or 160-odd days... it does not matter. I made no comment on expectation of delivery or otherwise. Info is good.

Today is January 20, so that means that 160 days from today would be June 29.

However, I would suggest that other modellers, like myself, who are waiting for some of the other announced stuff down the line should be made aware that this may impact on all subsequent schedules?

DJM himself said that the profits from this model will finance the next, etc. etc. I would also add on a further 60-days to get the money in from shops and customers...

Dave

I was wondering what size sound chip and speaker would fit the OO model that I have on pre-order.

I normally use Zimo MX648R (9pin plug or bare wire equivalent MX648) and sugar cube speakers 10x15x11mm (or if space is tight 10x15x9mm). The sugar cube enclosures are just for convenience in fitting into non DCC ready locos or small DCC ready Bachmanns that make no allowance for sound and speakers - I have a few legless drivers and firemen!

Advice for pre-planning and purchasing would be appreciated. Then I can be ready to roll ........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

The changes i have requested to this model are now completed and are shown below.

Brake handle level

strengthening buffer beam fillets correct shape

C&HP railway bunker corrected

injector plate removed and replaced with corrected small plate.

Hope you like?

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-67095600-1422961762_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-55739900-1422961772_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-93804400-1422961781_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-91089800-1422961793_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-30433000-1422961805_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-20577900-1422961813_thumb.jpg

Archived