OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

Just checking Dave, the standard bunker cab will have the round windows in the rear not the extended bunker square version?

Hi mate,

In fact I have both with a standard bunker, the Cromford version and the standard version.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just one thought-

Having managed to upset the quartering on a Hornby J94 while fitting it with a chip (it was either chip my Hornby/Dapol J94s or do some serious repainting and fit Geisl ejectors to new DJM locos)- is the quartering on the new loco bomb proof?

Les

aka ham fisted pilchard....

Quartering eventually went back to correct.  One loco chipped, six to do....

• RMweb Premium

I've just been packing my layout to take it to Chapel-en-le-Frith exhibition this weekend. This is the first time I've packed it since changing to Kadee couplings. A few items of stock have needed the original boxes 'modifying' (bits chopped out of the packaging) to get the loco or waggon in with Kadees on. In one case a loco would not fit in with any couplings on. So, I'm hoping the J94 packaging will enable the loco to fit in with different types of coupling on. I know its a small point, but it saves having to modify the packaging, or remove the couplings.

• 3 weeks later...

How will the NEM coupling pockets be attached? Will there be screws on the bottom so that they could easily be removed?

Only asking because I would fit functional screw links and wouldn't want the plastic bar throw off the look.

But you've already got me sold on the LCB No. 7. And maybe another 1-2. If I can resist the urge... Haha

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I was wondering what size sound chip and speaker would fit the OO model that I have on pre-order.

I normally use Zimo MX648R (9pin plug or bare wire equivalent MX648) and sugar cube speakers 10x15x11mm (or if space is tight 10x15x9mm). The sugar cube enclosures are just for convenience in fitting into non DCC ready locos or small DCC ready Bachmanns that make no allowance for sound and speakers - I have a few legless drivers and firemen!

Advice for pre-planning and purchasing would be appreciated. Then I can be ready to roll ........

Same here, any CAD images of the mechanisim Dave that would give us an idea :)

I've got one of the Hattons editions on order and tempted by the Kernow LMR one too.

Same here, any CAD images of the mechanisim Dave that would give us an idea :)

I've got one of the Hattons editions on order and tempted by the Kernow LMR one too.

Hi,

Bear with me and I'll see what I can sort out when I'm back on Tuesday

Cheers

Dave

post-13358-0-84700200-1426174117_thumb.jpg

Any chance of one with this chimney in a future run - or am I going to have to keep fitting Geisl ejectors to Hornby ones? 

Les

Yes I know this is a Dapol body on a Hornby chassis and has a set of steps too many for Revenge.   About halfway weathered to full Cumberland grot with a new front handrail to add..

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm still patiently awaiting the revised tooled model.

Once I have that I'll show everyone here and be a little clearer on timelines.

I'd prefer it if the factory got everything right on assembly and detail first to be honest to create a visual and mechanical baseline I can say 'right, that's the standard of model I want, now get on with painting'.

I know it's drawing out somewhat, but the desire to produce the best I can is causing more delays, but will subsequently be worth it with the end product.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the following in the scenery section, but as so many people who like the J94 SEEM to want to model a colliery, here is a possible centre-piece to your model ;

Today's MREMAG "magazine" has pre-release details of Langley Models new photo-etch kit of a colliery Pithead at a pre-release offer price ; 

http://www.mremag.co...ws/bulletin.asp

(About three-quarters of the way down)

More details here ;

http://www.langley-m...5.html#aPithead

It looks at least a scale 60 feet high- and that is without the wheel (source for those)

So how big a layout would you need for it not to be overpowered by a 9-inch tall (at least) pithead?   Bigger than the five-foot long plank I'm building, that is certain.

Still, it is a beautiful piece of work- I could have done with one in N three years ago.......

Les

• RMweb Gold

It looks at least a scale 60 feet high- and that is without the wheel (source for those)

So how big a layout would you need for it not to be overpowered by a 9-inch tall (at least) pithead?   Bigger than the five-foot long plank I'm building, that is certain.

Still, it is a beautiful piece of work- I could have done with one in N three years ago.......

Les

Not so, Les.

Some collieries had really cramped conditions, sometimes only enough space for 40 wagons or so. They had to be 'cleared' every hour. by the hour, to enable empties to come in, and the full ones out. Otherwise, the pit would grind to a halt, there being no room on the surface.

Ian

Not so, Les.

Some collieries had really cramped conditions, sometimes only enough space for 40 wagons or so. They had to be 'cleared' every hour. by the hour, to enable empties to come in, and the full ones out. Otherwise, the pit would grind to a halt, there being no room on the surface.

Ian

Having misspent Much of my youth visiting every colliery I could get to I am fully aware of how cramped a few were.  I remember particularly the pit next to the A1 at Wrekenton, where the Angel of the North now stands, but that was built into a hillside and served by two rope inclines.

However a five foot layout is only a scale 380 feet long, and a fifty foot high headstock in a 380 foot length will still overpower it, especially as that headstock needs a good set of surrounding buildings.  It is possible to build a small layout in which the headstock doesn't overpower the rest, but not very easy artistically.  There was a pithead like this one at Dorothea Pit behind Philadelphia engine sheds.  However a five foot layout wouldn't even fit the whole engine sheds.

All the very best

Les

A

Can you advise if the WPR austerity will feature the vacuum(?) pipe down the side of the tank, as per this photograph?

http://www.gwsr.com/media/66628/no15%20long%20marston%20wires%2007062009%20j%20boskett.jpg

Paul A.

Hi, this pipe is in the tooling and has appeared in various press releases on first EP samples, but won't be on this model as it will appear as it was in industrial use, not preservation, sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Looking forward to the Austerity, it's been a long wait for a decent 4mm model,also the many variations on offer.

There are a couple of points to consider however, many of the later built locos had plain bar handrail stanchions fitted as an economy measure,68061 and 68064 had these. Another difference is appropriate to WPR No.15 as Andrew Barclay built locos had the handrails on the side of the saddletank mounted about six inches higher.

Most of the post war built engines and those rebuilt by Hunslet had a second gusset fitted to the buffer beans to strengthen them.

To model such a large class of locos isn't going to be easy!

Looking forward to the Austerity, it's been a long wait for a decent 4mm model,also the many variations on offer.

There are a couple of points to consider however, many of the later built locos had plain bar handrail stanchions fitted as an economy measure,68061 and 68064 had these. Another difference is appropriate to WPR No.15 as Andrew Barclay built locos had the handrails on the side of the saddletank mounted about six inches higher.

Most of the post war built engines and those rebuilt by Hunslet had a second gusset fitted to the buffer beans to strengthen them.

To model such a large class of locos isn't going to be easy!

1 or 2 buffer beam gussets are catered for In the tooling.

Having different handrail bar was not possible I'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

post-6608-0-83126500-1430733527_thumb.jpgAttached is a close up of NCB Waldens "HARRY"  built by Hudswell Clarke in November 1944 showing the handrail stanchions made of plain bar. The BR J94's fitted with these were: 68025/26/31 to 69 and71 to 80. 68013 swapped tanks with 68065 during a visit to Darlington works in November 1959.

HARRY also has a steam jet fitted to his chimney, these were fitted at Walkden to try and thin the amount of smoke being issued from the locomotive.

Just disernable are the two lifting lugs fitted to all Hudswell Clarke built Austerities, one is behind the chimney and the other is just in front of the safety valve recess.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

5 to 6 months, 23 weeks or 160-odd days... it does not matter. I made no comment on expectation of delivery or otherwise. Info is good.

Today is January 20, so that means that 160 days from today would be June 29.

However, I would suggest that other modellers, like myself, who are waiting for some of the other announced stuff down the line should be made aware that this may impact on all subsequent schedules?

DJM himself said that the profits from this model will finance the next, etc. etc. I would also add on a further 60-days to get the money in from shops and customers...

Hi

Like everyone else I am eagerly awaiting delivery of the J94. I do understand the various manufacturing considerations have delayed production and I am content to await delivery of a fully developed model whenever it will be ready (within reason).

However I am slightly worried about order placements. I placed my order through The Goods Yard at Tuxford last year when the model was first announced. I called in yesterday to see if they had any recent news and was somewhat surprised to hear that they had not actually placed any orders on DJM yet. They say the reason is that DJM told them it would be sending them the order forms when they were ready to accept orders (expected to be February). However, to date, nothing more has been heard from DJM so no orders have been placed yet.

I accept that it is possible that order placement is being held so that, rather than a sucession of small orders, a full and final quantity from each retailer is known so that exact quantities can be ordered when production actually commences. (We must be close now?).

However I really would like some reassurance please that my order is not going to be "lost" and that this "delayed placing of orders" is normal procedure.

Regards

"Anxious of Lincoln"

Archived