OO gauge J94 Austerity Tank locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

The thing is this, it's ok having a master like Mercig have produced, it's having the factory and the ability within the factory to reproduce this weathering faithfully.

Luckily i have just that, and i feel it's so much better than the generic and inferior 'single pass' of the airbrush in a single colour, so often fobbed off as weathering.

In your "other life" with Dapol,I recall the Kernow Silver Bullet slurry tanks and the Class 52 .These were and remain the best factory weathered models on the market.I take it that this is the pedigree?

In your "other life" with Dapol,I recall the Kernow Silver Bullet slurry tanks and the Class 52 .These were and remain the best factory weathered models on the market.I take it that this is the pedigree?

Hi Ian,

Yes you are correct, i'm pleased to say that Mercig are, apart from their own individual masterpiece commissions, exclusive to DJModels now and as such anything i produce to be weathered will get the Mercig treatment followed by the same factory treatment.

cheers

Dave

Dave, will weathered versions only be available through Hattons ? None of the main range OO options (5 i think?) are weathered are they ? Thanks, Tom

Hi mate,

Weathered ones from Hattons only at the moment. this may change on second or third runs.

cheers

Dave

The J94 looks superb Dave and the time taken getting it to this standard was certainly worthwhile.

The quality of weathering then adds to it, so hard to get right but it looks spot on to me. 

It certainly whets the appetite for your forthcoming N Gauge models.

Regards

Roy

Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know that I have, today, sent J94 order forms out to all DJMmodels stockists (A list of stockists appears on my web site).

This order form is current for 30 days from Monday to allow stockists to send them into me either by e-mail or snail mail.

Please be advised that I have noted on the form that I will only produce what is ordered plus a few spares and as such I cannot and will not guarantee extra production after this date for stockists who do not return their forms on time.

Production has been promised before Chinese New Year so I expect the models around March 2016.

Cheers

Dave

Great news dave, will you be contacting those of us who ordered direct to confirm our orders?

Hi,

Your orders were confirmed automatically when you ordered, so no I won't be unless asked individually.

I have a big list and this will be a work through list when the locos arrive, contacting customers and offering the chance to upgrade the 'expression of interest' to a sale and taking credit card details etc.

This will possibly be done by Kernow as the distributor to both stockists and direct customers alike.

Dave

A few tweaks here and there and 68012 will be a cracker. Oval buffers and a slightly lighter weight for the numbers and she'll be spot on!

I wonder who'll be the first to model the dented dome she sported on those last charters over the C&HPR  :jester:

Dave, having seen one of the prototypes at C&Ms in Carlisle I'm suitably impressed. Admittedly as an EM modeller I'll need to convert her. Is this something you would factor into future design processes? Admittedly it's something of a niche interest!

Dave.

After looking at the pic of 68012 above I hope the model doesn't have the circular windows , as the pic shows it with the Slim windows.

This is confirmed in some of the pictures to be seen in the link. The same applies to 68006.

Sort of like this.

Class J94 0-6-0ST No 68012 by John Evans, on Flickr

P

Precisely! Assuming that this model is an EP I'd guess a generic model has been used for the livery, hence the round buffers and redundant holes in the bufferbeams plus the missing steps. The overall feel of the model is right on the mark, a few prototype specific nuances to add into the mix before production (and relatively easy to add if they're omitted too) but otherwise I never thought I'd find myself 'ooohing and aaahing' at photos of a 00 J94, especially one in BR livery!

Agreed. Picking one of the C&HP Austerities as a sample model will always be fraught with ifs and buts dependent on the exact time period they are meant to depict. As an instance: when they were returned to Darlington works for overhaul the coal space extensions were restored only for them to be removed again immediately on their return to the Peak District.

Regarding the buffers, it's the whole body and head that needs to replaced but I'm sureDJM is aware of that as there is photos of the oval buffers in the Hattons Reference pictures on Flickr @:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128725597@N04/galleries/72157649287624726/#photo_6692060453

Or you could model it as shown below with the oval buffers on the running plate. :smile_mini: 

14857416805_373a289aee_c.jpgLNER. Riddles "J94" class' 0-6-0ST No. 68012. by Ron Bowyer, on Flickr

To my eye one problem is the lack of gap between the top of the saddle tank and the bottom of the chimney as clearly seen in the pic in post #191 but hey ho, that's me in pedantry mode.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The photos of 68012 from Hattons show a few errors/ommisions ie: no cab doors-all BR J94's had them fitted early on. No fire iron stanchions in front of the cab on the drivers side.No centre steps under the footplate.

I hope the cab doors will be fitted to the production run models.

And for the O gauge J94s as well!

I am holding on for the 0 Gauge version - if it is anything like the emerging 00 model in terms of quality (and I am sure it will be) then we are in for a huge treat and it will be worth every second of the wait!!  :danced:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Possibly a bit premature, but.....

By your estimation, what size Kadee will I need for this steed?

Many thanks,

Ian

If you don’t mind my sticking my nose in, it depends in part on the curves of your layout. I keep a small stock of all four lengths of fishtail Kadees and try them one at a time, starting with the shortest, until I find the closest coupling which doesn’t cause derailments.

(Edited for spelling.)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived