Elveden Road Depot

Heinz57

• 5 months later...

Still Here!

Just a quick one to appologise to the regular viewers for the lack of updates on here recently. Unfortunatly work on the layout hasn't progressed anywhere near emough to warrant an update.

In my last post I mentioned about the success of Burton Show. This great day gave me some motivation to work on the layout, or so I thought. Upon arrival home from the show I put the layout and all its gear in the garage intending to 'ort it out later' well that later never came and five months down the line I still have a box of stuff waiting to be unpacked from the show. The layout has not yet been set up since the show. Because it was too cold in the garage to do any work on the layout over winter I did bring the 'lathe board' inside the house and intended to finish working on this board, I didn't get much done on it and ended up packing the board away in the garage again and it has remaind there since.

I have done a little bit more work on the shed, I have restarted the shed twice since I last posted on here! The project is progressing very slowly and I am remembering to take a few photos as I go along. I hope to complete this project soon, set the layout back up and get another update on here as soon as I can, motivation permiting!

Until then please accept my appologies for the lack of posts on here and I do hope to keep your interest in viewing my project!

Heinz

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

17/05/2017 - Back Online!

Once agaim I start with the traditional apolloogy for the quiet time over the past few months - Sorry!

My last post detailed the quiet time and lack of modeling that I did over winter, so I won't go into detail again. Last week I set the layout up for the first time since it went out to Burton show, its still in good condition and nothing needs repairing so thats good! I haven't connected it up and ran it yet though. Burton didn't bring any technical issues so hopefuly after a quick clean of the tracks and it will run fine. I must do that soon!

So as the last update said I did bring the lathe board inside over winter to do (not much) work on it. I mostly did work around the entrance area to the yard. I have built the security hut, from the Knightwing kit and detailed the inside, greenery was added and signs made.

post-12330-0-24602000-1495027219_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-51833900-1495027218_thumb.jpg

The Wabtec sign actualy lights up inside, but I haven't got a pic of this I'm afraid, I'm not happy with it though so I might get rid of it. I'm also thinking of adding a truck stopped here, with hazzard lights flashing and the driver talking to the security guards. I have started on this but not finished it, I'm still undecided on this idea, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on it?

post-12330-0-08813600-1495027220_thumb.jpg

I have also added another parking area, I will be adding the shunters mess along side this. It's actualy at this point where work stopped for the winter!

After having a few months quiet time I then moved onto the shed building. At first I carried on with the version in my last update, but then I scrapped it and started again!

post-12330-0-55787800-1495027214_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-70886800-1495027215_thumb.jpg

The main structure is completed, note how I have decided to miss out windows on the wall. I will instead add the windows in the roof.

post-12330-0-19407200-1495027217_thumb.jpg

The cladding is painted and weatherd

post-12330-0-84914300-1495027217_thumb.jpg

The brick work is painted and weatherd and details added around the doors. This is the current state of the shed, the next job is to paint the doors. Then I'll be addding interior details amd lights. There's a long way to go but it's getting there!

Not a lot of work has been done since my last update, but at least there has been some progress on the layout. It shouldn't take as long to do the next update as it did to do this one!

Cheers,

Heinz

Edited by Heinz57
  • Like 7

Thanks for your kind comments chaps, your kind words help me a lot.

Steve, I'm glad to liked seeing the layout in BRM. Sure looks a lot differant now to what it does in the magazine! I've got many more ideas stored in my mind of what I can do to realy detail the layout and bring it to life, I'm sure you'll like them!

Heinz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

10/08/2017 - Fifty Sheds of Grey

It shouldn't take as long to do the next update as it did to do this one!

Famous last words!

Just shy of three months since I last posted an update, and promised to return quickly! Unfortunatly, the last three months haven't exactly been a non-stop modeling fest. Instead, any motivation I had gained in May to do any modeling didn't last, and that coupled with other stuff going off outside of my modelling life meant that again not a lot has been done since the last update. But I return with a progress update on the shed...

To recap, last time we spoke I had completed the main structure of the shed and painted and weatherd the cladding and brickwork. The first job to do after that was paint the doors and fit a few external details. I then added lighting, the exterior lights are 'N' gauge building wall lights from the Layouts4U range, the interior lighting is warm white LED strip lights again from Layouts4U. I ran all wiring for the lights along the roof beams, using plastic 'U' channel to create cable trunking...

post-12330-0-93119200-1502404540_thumb.jpg

post-12330-0-85957700-1502404539_thumb.jpg

I then moved onto the 'warehouse' section on the side of the building. This section was originaly constructed with a flat roof at the height of the slope. It didn't look right so I did some surgery and replaced the flat roof with the new sloping roof. Exterior details were then added and the whole lot painted up. It is currerntly awaiting lighting to be fitted inside, the inside details such as racking will be added at the later date along with details in the main shed when the whole lot is fixed down. The speed I'm going that will be sometime in summer 2019!

post-12330-0-86212900-1502404541_thumb.jpg

The next job is the 'office' type extension on the other side of the shed which houses offices, restrooms and that sort of thing. This section as you can see on the photo is about half done. It still needs to have its roof finished, be painted up and have glazing added to the windows. As this section will not be on the public viewing side I'll only add lighting and not add interior details. Its hidden away enough for me to get away with it...

post-12330-0-63506800-1502404542_thumb.jpg

Finaly, an overal view of the shed as it is today. Note the cable trunking I mentioned earlier...

post-12330-0-39716400-1502404543_thumb.jpg

The shed is still far from completed but I am getting there. I'll admit I still don't have any motivation to do any modeling at the moment but I'm doing a few bits and bobs when I can be botherd and the shed edges ever to closer to being completed!

Cheers,

Heinz

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

21/12/2017 - Elveden Road

Hi guys,

It's been over six months since I have last posted an update on here. There is a reason behind this, and I think I owe it to the regular followers of the layout to tell you why.

So, shortly after posting the last update all work on the layout came to a complete stop, and I have since taken the decision to not continue with the project. I am currently in the process of dismantling the layout.

Why have I decided to scrap the layout?

Well as you can gather from the previous posts (and lack thereof) I have no motivation to work on Elveden Road and I just want to start on something new. I will admit, I have kicked around loads of ideas over the past nine months (including the scrapped Peak Cement which appeared on here in May), obviously none have came to fruition yet because I don't want to rush anything. When thinking about a new project, the more I think about it the more I think I want to build Elveden Road.

That sounds stupid, why not just continue with Elveden Road?

Firstly I have no motivation with the current layout, I do not want the layout that is currently sat in my garage anymore. There are also too many flaws in the current layout, not just in the build quality and the functionality of the layout. Now I could of course 'correct' these and continue, however doing so would mean complete scrappage and rebuilding of two of the boards and redesigning of some of the track work. Plus rebuilding half of the buildings (including that damned shed). So taking these into account I may as well just scrap it and start again.

I am currently contemplating and designing a completely new version of Elveden Road with a revised track plan and a new name (fresh start, new name!). However, this is not a formal announcement of the project, I haven't finalised anything yet and I may decide on something completely different (although considering my stock collection the redesign is probably the best option). All I can and will say is that I will be starting A New Layout in 2018.

Once again sorry to the regular viewers about the lack of posting on here, and to the fans of the layout sorry about this decision, however I'm sure you can appreciate my reasons behind it. Keep an eye out for a new project of mine appearing in 2018 which I promise you will be much better than Elveden Road and indeed anything else I have built before!

Merry Christmas,

Heinz