The Hairy Viking

Bit late to the game, I'm going to start work on an entry as an excuse to make a model of something I've been musing on for a while. It might get finished, it might not. I'm going for the picture frame method, although if it ends up too big I can fall back on the 'general' method ;)

The main feature at the front will be a 'small' oo scale container ship just under 4ft long and 8inch wide depicted out at sea. In the back ground behind it will be some n scale shore line, possibly a river mouth, with a railway line running along. Depending what I have to hand this may end up operational with off scene fiddle yards. The stock run on the line would determine which country it's set in.

The ship (The Hairy Viking) will take advantage of some selective compression to represent something much larger. It will be a seperate removable model from the rest of the scene. I bought some wood earlier ready to start this, it should be able to carry a load 6 containers wide and at least 4x 45ft containers long.

Mrs Satan would like me to work on this with 'the boy'. Rough planning in my head incorporating that sees this broken down into 4 construction modules:

1. The framed scene and n gauge layout. The n gauge models are the kids anyway so they'd have a big say in this aspect. I'll need to build the wooden frame and box first for the models to go in.

2. The ship's hull. The bottom half of the hull will be 'submerged' so I don't need to go all the way to the keel, just a solid base to build off and a solid deck on top to create the shape. Again, wood work for me.

3. The ship's bridge house. I'm not sure if this is cheating, but I have a ridiculously large amount of lego from when I was young, and coincidently a couple of those models happened to be container ships. So I'm going to dig out the instructions for those ships and use the parts and plans to make the bridge house, suitably modified to make them the correct size for the ship. 'The boy' likes his lego too so he'll happily help me with that stage!

4. The deck and container loads. Sticking with the bridge house style, some of the deck furniture will also be some of my old lego along with some suitable ho/oo parts, ropes, and chains. Partially seen below deck containers will be made up from scale scenes card boxes that I never finished making. Above deck containers will be Bachmann/c-rail/Hornby models that I already have, but not fixed down so the load can be varied.

No small card mockups or pictures yet, I'm already 2 months behind! Wood work for the scene and the ship's hull will start as soon as work allows. I'll see how much I can do by the July deadline but I'm not opptomistic on actually finishing.

Cheers for the link, that's the sort of vessel I've always had in mind outside of this challenge (it creates the possible cameo of having a 66 or 70 being lifted out of the hold as well as containers on top) I doubt my effort will end up looking that good but I'll have to remember it as a possible dock side companion in the future. Cheers.

.....or indeed, this - 7003 in either version - I have no idea if they are still available - but I believe they are card kits - "angebotliste" has a very current price list, and the address is on herehttp://www.mdk-verlag.de/impressum.htm - hope it helps

That's a good site for helping size reference, cheers Jack. They're very cheap too by the looks of it.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers for the link, that's the sort of vessel I've always had in mind outside of this challenge (it creates the possible cameo of having a 66 or 70 being lifted out of the hold as well as containers on top) I doubt my effort will end up looking that good but I'll have to remember it as a possible dock side companion in the future. Cheers.

They also make a heavy lift version with its own cranes, ideal for locomotives.

They also make a heavy lift version with its own cranes, ideal for locomotives.

Just had a look through a bit of their site, my credit card dislikes you ;)

Could create a very interesting dock layout with some of the items there.

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look through a bit of their site, my credit card dislikes you ;)

Could create a very interesting dock layout with some of the items there.

I was contemplating just that, but when I worked out the costing.  :fie:  :chok_mini:

I did some stuff. First up, I made some card templates for the shape of the bow and the stern at deck level and bottom of the visible hull. These were then transfered over to the 2 planks, looked about right, so checked spacing with containers and a mock bridge of CDs. Disclaimer: any embarrassing CDs you spot in the stack are Mrs Satan's.

post-9147-0-88964300-1393965679_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-36896100-1393966036_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping to do some carpentry today for the scene 'box' and the ship's hull, depends if the boy evervactually finishes his homework neatly.....

In the mean time, I've done a little maths myself. In the grand scheme of things 'The Hairy Viking' is a small ship so I would have imagined it wouldn't have held many containers. But even trying to keep it small it can hold 96x 40ft containers! It's got a 200 TEU capacity including a few on the bow! Not as small as I thought.....

When he eventually finished his homework and Mrs Satan had dragged me shopping, we built a hull. I think I still want to shape the point of the bow a bit more, I'd not taken as much off it as I thought I had while it was upside-down. It needs cladding after that, I've got some mounting board which I'll try for the first attempt.

post-9147-0-92328300-1394377343_thumb.jpgpost-9147-0-47800200-1394377378_thumb.jpgpost-9147-0-68208700-1394377405_thumb.jpgpost-9147-0-27256400-1394377433_thumb.jpg

In 'reality', the deck wouldn't be solid, there would be 4 large hold openings to fit more containers in. These will be marked out as the build progresses but rather than have to add 2 layers of containers that will never be seen and would complicate the build, I'm just going to fix down the tops of scale-scenes printed containers, that'll reduce the maximum model load requirement by 64 TEU at least! I might see about varying the height of these tops to help represent some high-cube boxes in the hold.

For the 'frame' it's all set in, I have a 6ft wooden shipping crate weathering nicely in the garden, when Mrs Satan doesn't have any washing out I'll hack that up into the appropriate size for the challenge but still try and keep it's shipping crate appearance. There will be a bit of an extension out the sides or rear of it for the n gauge to run somewhere.

After doing some measuring and drawing some pencil lines, it was time for a 'play'!

post-9147-0-66564800-1394399282_thumb.jpg

A quick guided tour: starting at the bow, the extra space there can support 8x 20ft boxes or 4x 20ft and 4x 30ft boxes double stacked as a little extra capacity.

post-9147-0-25319600-1394399407_thumb.jpg

Moving off the bow and dropping 9ft down on to the main deck, the ship can internally hold a cargo 4x containers wide and 4x 45ft containers long. Total stack height from the bottom of the hold is 5x high-cube containers high, for the model only the top 3 will ever be visible above the deck. An extra double stacked row of containers is supported each side of the main hold area 8ft above the deck (demonstrated here by the steel ruler on the right). On picture trawl I've seen this method used on a lot of ships to provide extra capacity but still let crew members pass around the boat underneath. These racks for each side of the boat are some of the items that will be created from Lego.

post-9147-0-29112400-1394399649_thumb.jpg

A better shot showing the raised side rack above the deck and main hold area. Unfortunately I couldn't find my already printed scale-scenes roofs to stand the main hold boxes on rather than the bare wood for these pictures.

post-9147-0-56981100-1394400247_thumb.jpg

The bridge house, once again represented by cd's, needs to be high enough to see over 3 high-cubes. Another structure to be made from lego....a lot of lego! Certainly a bigger lego building than anything I used to build when I was younger.

post-9147-0-33098200-1394400497_thumb.jpg

The bottom layer of containers in the hold will be below the water line.

post-9147-0-29373300-1394400855_thumb.jpg

The ship is designed to take 45ft boxes, but at the time of writing I don't have any 45ft boxes to test! I've drawn on where 45s should stretch to, but these will only be Above deck, with bulkheads dividing the ship below deck limiting lower containers to 40s.......useful really as the scale-scene roofs are 40s ;)

post-9147-0-80703100-1394400989_thumb.jpg

A slightly wider gap is left in the middle of the ship for crew access across the vessel. Depending what happens with the bridge house build that might narrow a little.

post-9147-0-85919000-1394401551_thumb.jpg

Well that's all my waffling for this evening. The aim is to have the non-Lego boat modelling done by April when we're due to visit my parents for Easter so we can raid my old lego supplies rather than the boy's new stuff.

For those wondering where I'm going with this, an inspirational picture!

http://www.web-l.com/things-you-wont-see-on-cnn/container-ship-run-aground-on-beach/

And some more sensible inspiration halfway down this page:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/LowerThamesMedway5.html

Typing in 'container ship' or 'container boat' into google images is less productive than you might imagine for this sort of sized vessel. If I'd attempted a massive vessel on the other hand......

Found scale scenes bits. Container roofs don't include the corners so they'll need tweeking. Only had these 2 already mounted so the others can be modified before fixing to card, means I'll be able to vary height easier to represent high cubes lower down the stack :)

post-9147-0-57490000-1395080406_thumb.jpg

Rough cladding is progressing to make the hull look more hull-like. Here's the rear:

post-9147-0-63716200-1395080681_thumb.jpg

And here's the front:

post-9147-0-14846400-1395080749_thumb.jpg

Another view of the front, shape of the bow still needs trimming some more:

post-9147-0-64593600-1395080854_thumb.jpg

THAT IS ALL

More waffling, for my benefit later. The rock and roll lifestyle I lead saw me measuring lego yesterday, turns out measurement wise lego is the perfect medium for interacting with 4mm containers. Each individual brick is 8mm x 8mm, so 4 bricks = 32mm across which is how wide the containers are. 10 bricks is 20ft, 20 bricks is 40ft, useful stuff! Height wise, 'normal height' bricks (not the thin ones) are 10mm high, so 3 and a bit bricks makes just over 8ft high.

post-9147-0-00827600-1395175725_thumb.jpg

Useful to know when it comes to working out the bridge house height too.

I've used some of the boy's lego just to work out the plan and took pictures for build reference next month. Original thought was for the angled corners but I don't think I'll have enough of them so the other plan is to use all flat bits and add angles from plasticard later.

Gaps in the length of the frame are sized to pairs of 20s, with a little extra at the ends to accomodate 45s.

post-9147-0-74952100-1395176447_thumb.jpg

It will be smooth topped bricks for the containers to sit on, 40s work well though.

post-9147-0-03673900-1395176975_thumb.jpg

And 20s.....

post-9147-0-36761100-1395177034_thumb.jpg

Boxes behind the frame still show through quite. The frame will all be coloured a nice uniform shade of dark red and rust when finished.

post-9147-0-01722600-1395177118_thumb.jpg

That's it.

• RMweb Premium

More waffling, for my benefit later. The rock and roll lifestyle I lead saw me measuring lego yesterday, turns out measurement wise lego is the perfect medium for interacting with 4mm containers. Each individual brick is 8mm x 8mm, so 4 bricks = 32mm across which is how wide the containers are. 10 bricks is 20ft, 20 bricks is 40ft, useful stuff! Height wise, 'normal height' bricks (not the thin ones) are 10mm high, so 3 and a bit bricks makes just over 8ft high.

attachicon.gif20140318_204032.jpg

Useful to know when it comes to working out the bridge house height too.

I've used some of the boy's lego just to work out the plan and took pictures for build reference next month. Original thought was for the angled corners but I don't think I'll have enough of them so the other plan is to use all flat bits and add angles from plasticard later.

Gaps in the length of the frame are sized to pairs of 20s, with a little extra at the ends to accomodate 45s.

attachicon.gif20140318_204046.jpg

It will be smooth topped bricks for the containers to sit on, 40s work well though.

attachicon.gif20140318_204110.jpg

And 20s.....

attachicon.gif20140318_204212.jpg

Boxes behind the frame still show through quite. The frame will all be coloured a nice uniform shade of dark red and rust when finished.

attachicon.gif20140318_204225.jpg

That's it.

i like the use of lego. very cool

Apologies for the ridiculously small pictures from my 1.3M pixel camera on my phone! Did some work on 'the box' for the ship and layout to go in and while i was at it thought i'd better get some token measurement shots to show it's all in spec. 

So here they are:

post-9147-0-51100600-1395609812.jpg

post-9147-0-31246700-1395609813.jpg

post-9147-0-31794300-1395609814.jpg

post-9147-0-24546200-1395609815.jpg

and they give absolutely nothing away!

Plan has changed from using an existing box to building one that looks like a shipping crate. The inside of the top of the front picture frame has a spare fish tank strip light and fitting fixed in to light it up. The sides and top will be clad from some spare tongue and groove i had laying around once the insides are progressed a little further.

Because of my nice deep blue sea, i'm thinking of going Caribbean with the land behind the ship, lots of palm trees on top of the cliff! No idea what trains should be run in this situation though....... 

The ship has had all the cladding glued on properly now and has just received it's first thick coat of paint on one side. The plan is to apply thick paint then sand it down to fill in all the gaps and rough bits (and hide a couple of bits of remaining masking tape!)

As a change of perspective while paint dries I've started on the n scale cliffs. The frame for this is made from parts in scrap wood pile and is roughly 7in high and 3in deep. I've not measured how long it is but it's less than 4ft!

The curved parts are left overs from making the Warren Lane end curves. As they were they werd too wide so I trimmed the curve down by an inch or so. The resulting off cuts were then used at the back of the top of the cliff to create the curve topped hill. At the centre top of the curve will be a light house, in front of that will run the railway, and any remaining space will be filled with palm trees.

post-9147-0-64351000-1396019217_thumb.jpgpost-9147-0-52277800-1396019435_thumb.jpgpost-9147-0-70058800-1396019553_thumb.jpg

The cliff is hopefully high enough to look 'bigger' than the ship but without looking too ridiculously high. A simple flat board behind the backscene will carry the train around in a loop.....eventually!

As for the texture of the cliff itself, I was looking at some model options but then Mrs Satan had an idea which will make very effective granite cliffs but a lot cheaper and quicker than the normal methods. The item required to do this has been ordered and works out at £5 per square foot so the budget manager is kept very happy! To be revealed when it arrives......

A big update (well what else would I be doing on Mother's Day?)

The cliffs haven't arrived yet, but back ground painting individual parts (not counting the ship) has finished so i could finally stick the box together:

post-9147-0-33999900-1396200636_thumb.jpg

The frame is simple glued together pine strips to avoid any showing screw heads. It's all seen drying here hence lots of clamps and tape, The cladding for the top and sides of the box will be screwed on when it's done but more on that in a minute.

Looking the other way, it's easier to see i've carried the cliff onto the backscene to help continue the Island off into the distance. The water line has been carried a couple of inches up the back and sides to create the horizon. The sides are just paint on card which will be stuck into place when less easy access is required and then the external cladding mounted over them. A memory of mine from one of my Caribbean holidays is being able to see another cone shaped island off in the distance through the haze on some days so the side shown in the picture below has gained a similar distant island: 

post-9147-0-45729800-1396200610_thumb.jpg

To help create a nice tropical sun environment once it's all boxed in, i've mounted a spare fish tank bulb inside the top of the frame:

post-9147-0-88851200-1396200623_thumb.jpg

Boat added:

post-9147-0-13558900-1396200649_thumb.jpg

The sense of perspective is working better in pictures than it did stood there looking at it fortunately!!!

post-9147-0-23010500-1396200662_thumb.jpg

Obviously the boat will be a taller prospect than this once it's stacked 3 high from the deck with containers which should help more with the appearance of the scene. So i used a couple of bits the box cladding as a temporary load to bring it up the a better height: 

post-9147-0-09811000-1396200708_thumb.jpg

Speaking of cladding, i have cut 30 of these 13inch lengths of tongue and groove:

post-9147-0-04755900-1396200673_thumb.jpg

These will be slotted together to form the top and sides and hopefully look more like a type of wooden shipping crate, screwed to the front, back, and side frames of the box they will hold the whole thing together:

post-9147-0-58260400-1396200694_thumb.jpg

On the top, a layer of white card will be fitted underneath first to help reflect more light down from the bulb over everything:

post-9147-0-53501200-1396200683_thumb.jpg

And finally, a shot with the light off........the light is definitely a good addition:

post-9147-0-99060300-1396200718_thumb.jpg

For any still reading, the cliff arrived! Not the first time I've used this, but normally it's for something a little different and stuck down with silicone......

post-9147-0-63520300-1396542048_thumb.jpg

The sheet was then cut into 2 strips the correct height for the model, and 1 of the strips was cut in half so there was a big section in the middle and 2 smaller bits for the edges. Here's 1 and a half bits showing the back as well which is nicely gridded to aid straight cutting.

post-9147-0-51383400-1396542285_thumb.jpg

Here's the other 'half' piece, the top and bottom have had a notch cut out all along the length to sit it back into the wooden frame and leave enough space for the ship infront.

post-9147-0-84814900-1396542558_thumb.jpg

And a quick test fitting:

post-9147-0-22187700-1396542761_thumb.jpg

And the ship still fits in front. Representive load added to test 'perspective'

post-9147-0-05608100-1396542884_thumb.jpg

All bits preped to fit on the wooden frame, a light dusting of 'roof dirt' spray paint has been applied to make it a little grayer. These aren't fitted properly yet, I want to cut the holes in the backscene for the train to pass through before everything is stuck down. There is some flex to the cliff structure but the bits that need to curve tightly around the wooden former may need some more flexiness cut in yet.

post-9147-0-44416900-1396543054_thumb.jpg

THAT IS ALL

Satan's daily photo update! As it happened!!!!!

Train access holes cut in the back scene. The 3 screws below that level between the 2 access holes are holding a support beam the other side of the backscene, with the cliff in place these are hidden:

post-9147-0-26497000-1396614489_thumb.jpg

Around the back, i worked out i'd need a sheet for wood roughly 15in by 3ft for the fiddle yard and electrical bits to sit on. As luck would have it there was a piece exactly that size in my spare wood pile! coincidence, honest! Black paint where tracks will be run off scene, masking tape holding it up, it's resting on the previously mentioned beam beside the back scene:

post-9147-0-14994500-1396614515_thumb.jpg

Underneath we have the support beam and a diagonal leg holding the middle of the board in place:

post-9147-0-60452500-1396614523_thumb.jpg

And then above 2 large diagonals were fitted to support it:

post-9147-0-19847900-1396614540_thumb.jpg

Moving on, notches were cut in the top of the backscene to pass the lighting cables:

post-9147-0-90802400-1396614531_thumb.jpg

With that done, the wooden former for the cliff was screwed into place and track superglued on top:

post-9147-0-35046400-1396614548_thumb.jpg

Train clearance through the access holes is tight but the stock i've trialled just squeezes through. Long bogie vehicles don't stand a chance though. Lighting rig starter tywrapped to the back board:

post-9147-0-38483200-1396614558_thumb.jpg

Remainder of the track glued down and the controller screwed into place. I haven't done any 'layout wiring' yet:

post-9147-0-67649600-1396614566_thumb.jpg

Back around the front, the first bit of cliff is glued onto the former, pinned onto the form with masking tape and weights while the glue dries:

post-9147-0-02571200-1396614575_thumb.jpg

And an overall shot of the current state of play. I'm looking forward to getting the cladding on soon so i don't keep catching my trousers on the lengths of clamp sticking out! The fiddle yard board is only supported by being cantilevered off the many scene structure but the weight of the 18mm ply base is more than enough to hold it stable, never mind the weight of the ship when that's added too:

post-9147-0-19838000-1396614583_thumb.jpg

Speaking of the ship, painting continues as it turns black ready for sanding smooth. Here's one side that 'the girl' has helped paint:

post-9147-0-54035500-1396614498_thumb.jpg

And here's the other side with a fresh shiny coat applied:

post-9147-0-71229900-1396614591_thumb.jpg

For today, THAT IS ALL.

Having finally got fed up of catching myself on clamps, I finished the box.

post-9147-0-77698400-1396877210_thumb.jpg

post-9147-0-59801000-1396877195_thumb.jpg

The last of the cliff gets stuck on:

post-9147-0-98941900-1396877202_thumb.jpg

I've had a rummage for some suitable stock for this fictional Island too from my existing random supply. I've avoided British outline so everything should be 1:160 in scale. The island's system mostly uses second hand stock from other countries, namely America, Germany, and a couple of class 44 loco's on loan from NSW Australia.

post-9147-0-00783400-1396877164_thumb.jpg

The 4 wheel green BP tanker needs walkways and top hatch fitted, but it does nicely match the Minitrix DB bogie tankers. 'Jack Frost' cane sugar hopper just seemed appropriate as does the yellow banana van. Only one of the NSW 44 class diesels is motorised and i don't know why they have red bogies! Passenger carriages for the line are vintage American stock.

post-9147-0-70379500-1396877172_thumb.jpg

Finishing up, there's another generic 4 wheel yellow goods van and a green and yellow bogie cattle wagon of an American style. Additional passenger stock is covered by a pair of 4 wheel rail buses, I think these are German, i know the models are older than me, and i have no idea why they are crudely painted green. When i can figure out how to take them apart they will receive a respray into a fictional livery for the Island, something nice and bright!

post-9147-0-43814200-1396877180_thumb.jpg

So here's what will be a typical mixed service leaving the scene. I'm hoping the pack of palm trees turns up soon. I'm keeping an eye out around the house for something suitable to make the light house from, the best contender so far is a small can of one of Mrs Satan's deodorants, but it's still very full :(

post-9147-0-01228000-1396877188_thumb.jpg

THAT IS ALL

Archived