Tavistock Junction

floss_4

Tavistock Junction depot is receiving a much needed tidy up. The sidings are being cleared of vegetation and the lighting has been repaired. This is presumably preparation for one of the new traffic flows currently being planned. Something to look forward to for when the rest of England gets reconnected. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Actually (I will check) it is definitely not for one of the major traffic flows that we have all been hoping for (not yet, anyway). It may be for one of DB Schenker's schemes, so I will make enquiries (the yard is mostly DB Schenker infrastructure, unlike Exeter Riverside).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

What with everything else that's been going on, I still haven't got round to checking why the yard got cleaned up, but interestingly no one in NR locally seems to know, I just need to find time to check with DBS.

I think it is still in the undergrowth a little further on from the end of the head shunt.

Was that with the former RES Parcels van - is that still down there as well, freed by the undergrowth?

• 2 weeks later...

Its been about sixty years since we sat by Cot Hill bridge with a portable radio the size of a small attaché case listening to Radio Luxembourg and train spotting.  From what transpires here and Googling the site, its apparent there has been a lot of change!  What actually is it used for these days?  Its nice to know it been cleaned up a bit but there does not appear to be a lot of action compared to the old days.  There used to be lots of trucks, a couple of Pannier tanks shunting around and the odd pick up goods now and again to keep us occupied between main line trains and Ivor Dewdney's pasties which were brought for lunch!  At least some of it is still there and a lot more in memory..

Brian.

It is used for engineering trains/plant and staging of passing freight from/to Cornwall. It probably sees only a handful of these moves a week. It's recent use was as sorting sidings for Laira /Long Rock fuel (until 2013), Cattewater scrap, Cattewater bitumen and Marsh Mills Clay (until 2008). The last freight actually unloaded in the yard was construction stone in the mid 2000's.

There is currently no commercial rail freight loaded or unloaded in Plymouth but there has been talk of possible intermodal and aggregates traffic developing.

Archived