New Magazine?

westerner

A very nice and gentlemanly exchange there, Gents - bravo!

For my part, I will say that I was not pointing fingers in any particular direction, rather waving at almost all British magazines in general so to speak.

Chris raises for me an interesting point in that, if there are no staff writers writing layout articles (except for celebrities, understandable), then perhaps layout owners could be given constructive criticism over their article submissions?

I know from a friends experience that MRJ are 'difficult' to write for in that they want articles written in a certain way - I'm certainly not suggesting that the remainder of the UK mags use this much 'control' but maybe they should apply some pressure on prospective authors, to write in an engaging style and describe methods and motives of operation, for example.

Again, not aimed at MR specifically but all UK modelling magazines apart from MRJ.

(I'm trying to gently 'push' in a certain direction - if this offends, I apologise!)

Cheers one & all,

John E.

PS I do realise that some authors already write in such an engaging style, kudos to them! It's just that the majority don't / can't.

Hi John,

Thanks - we do our best in the interest of progress and adding to the repository of knowledge ;-)

You raise interesting points - again.

From my POV article writing and model-making offer equal challenges (I am sure that many find it easier than I)!

BTW I think most mags will ask for extra detail, re-writes, reductions, more text, more photos etc. - they dont just accept what they are given - then there is also the editor's or sub/assitant editors' input and tweaking of the article in question.

The main issue is that the model railway mags, journals and club publications can only work with what is available/they're given.

May I ask? Do you write for any of the mags?

In terms of the GB layout, what a superb achievement, I think that it's a very clever 'dodge' if it has none working points/turnouts/switches in certain areas (if not then its a clever idea), because to build any large layout is a huge under taking - more strength to the team's elbows!

IIRC the word 'diorama' actually means, in the OED, a working model (in precis and not verbatim).

ATVB

CME

We (on Model Rail) have a guide to the material which we need the layout owner to provide, because otherwise people tend to forget the obvious (like the overall dimensions of the layout). I don't think we've ever asked anyone to write in a particular style as that would negate the whole point of having people write it themselves. It is to be hoped that some of their personality comes across in their writing, as it does in their model-making and asking them to write to a formula would mean all the articles would be the same. From the outset Model Rail tried to escape from that straight-jacket of "I started with a frame of 2in by 1in....." Indeed, I think in early issues we removed timber dimensions - there was also a ban on models of Ashburton for a while, in our determination to try and present something that was different! Layouts are - or should be - horses for courses. I can fully understand having the odd fixed point on an exhibition layout, if the primary purpose of the siding is for visual effect. Equally, such clever dodges as the use of mirrors are a perfectly legitimate way of achieving an effect without consuming vast amounts of space, perhaps, or modelling time. 

Staff writers are best used on projects where other skills such as step-by-step photography are needed. Building a layout would be a real chore if one had to stop every few minutes and take a photo but that is essential for a construction or conversion article. Not everyone can take such photographs. Not everyone wants their modelling disrupted in that way. That's the stuff that staff writers are best equipped to do. 

CHRIS LEIGH

There was a new magazine (to me at least) on sale in Ian Allan Waterloo this morning. I can't remember the full title, but it was based on 2mm finescale - not my scene so I didn't look too closely!. Could this be the new kid on the block?

Stewart

Having now written articles for two mags , the content of the text was discussed with the editors, but I was left to write and I'm pleased to say they went in with almost no alteration, no staff writing there.

As to a what I would want from a new mag, thinking about it a magazine like the late lamented (at least by me) Model Inspirations our very own Andy's creation on RMWeb (until the extra work that the tie in with BRM created) would be the sort of mag that I would buy (hard copy), particularly as a bi-monthly or quarterly.

Hi John,

May I ask? Do you write for any of the mags?

CME

Hi CME,

Many thanks for your comments! In answer to your question - no! I have not (yet) written for any of the regular UK magazines, just a couple for my club magazine and several for my old hobby of cycling. When I don't have to devote so much time & effort to my business & family, I will attempt to do so.

Hi Chris (Leigh),

Many thanks also for your answer to my query, that's very informative. I really do appreciate your taking the time to read all of our input and answer accordingly. It must get tiresome, I'm sure. You work hard all year round and ignorami (like me!) badger you on how you do your job, sorry about that!

All the best Gents,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Having operated Gresley Beat at a few exhibitions, I think that I should leap to some sort of defence!

Firstly, it was conceived and designed as an exhibition layout. The huge crowds it draws everywhere it goes are ample proof that it is a highly successful one.

Secondly, it requires a huge effort by a team of (usually) 10 people to move it, set it up and operate it. So yes, it is a huge challenge to exhibit it and it has usually been very well rewarded by the reaction of the people watching.

Now, I haven't read the article in RM and so I don't know exactly what Cliff wrote or said but the layout is considerably more than a diorama.

There are 4 circuits, up and down, fast and slow. Each has its own operator and fiddle yard and each is unconnected electrically or by track to the others. The up fast has a loop, which is regularly used to hold a train for overtaking. The up slow has several loops, which are used for holding trains, including a coal train which is split and shunted. The down lines don't have anything other than a main line but they do have fiddle yards with some very impressive trains, including the 80 (ish) wagon empty coal train.

In addition, there is a 5th section, which is the carriage sidings and the loco shed. There are light engine movements to and from Kings Cross, with locos going on shed, being turned and then going for coaling before later backing down to "The Cross" for their next duty. The carriage sidings see a regular procession of empty stock trains, with locos running round and carriages being left until they are needed.

So although it is very much an "all action" tailchaser, with up to 5 trains moving on view at the same time, it has much more going on.

There are a very small number of points that don't operate, which are for sidings where things like the P. Way and Breakdown trains stay on display.

I would be surprised if Cliff did actually say that none of the points on the front work but if he did, he was suffering from severe memory loss when he said it!

As for magazines, I have heard strongish rumours over the last couple of years that one has been bubbling under for a while. If the rumours are correct then at least one of the people behind it has posted on this thread but I wouldn't dream of dampening a bonfire that somebody else has lit by saying more. If they wanted to say something, that is entirely up to them.

I actually think that there are too many and not enough good quality content being produced to fill them all without a great deal of space filling and duplication. You seem to see the same authors spouting slight variations on what has gone before in other magazines.

I only buy MRJ now. It isn't for everybody but it suits me. My involvement in RTR stuff is limited (through my own personal choice - I enjoy making things) so articles on scratchbuilding or more advanced techniques are what I enjoy, although there have been plenty of articles on upgrading RTR stuff in there.

The latest edition has a full double page photo of an upgraded Hornby L1 and it looks superb.

Tony

Hi Tony

Just seen your reply.

The text in question does say (Page 949)

"Control & Electrics

The layout is 12 DC analogue, and is wired very simply - for ease of maintenance & fault finding.

The mainlines are are operated as pure running circuits (the cross overs are static) in order to keep something moving at exhibitions.

The shed area contains the only isolating sections on the layout; each shed road is split into four, and the turntable & ash pits area also have them."

Based on what appears in the RM (perhaps it was edited to change the meaning?), its not surprising that I came to the possibly erroneous conclusion that as far as train operation is concerned, on the main lines, it operates as a tail chaser. (My bold).

I don't dispute the fact that its a terrific looking layout (the word I used was 'impressive'), but perhaps you're right, Cliff's description of that aspect of the layout does it a disservice!

As someone who is rather a long way from seeing this layout, in the flesh, I have to judge it on various descriptions and who am I to argue with the builder, if he describes the wiring as he did?

• RMweb Premium

There was a new magazine (to me at least) on sale in Ian Allan Waterloo this morning. I can't remember the full title, but it was based on 2mm finescale - not my scene so I didn't look too closely!. Could this be the new kid on the block?

Stewart

I saw this at Stafford show in February - a search has found this

http://www.ngaugemodelling.co.uk/

Mike

I saw this at Stafford show in February - a search has found this

http://www.ngaugemodelling.co.uk/

'N Gauge Now' was launched and available at the Warley show last year so it's not exactly a 'new' mag this year. And I was under the impression that it's a one-off but with consideration for possible future (maybe quarterly) issues if the one-off issue is a big enough success.

G.

I still miss the odd USA/other "foreign" articles in the Modeller of old. Not enough to buy CM except on very rare occasions, but would like to see more in mainstream mags. Having said that ISTR that someone had a go at BRM for featuring Pempoul because it "wasn't British".

Any thoughts?

Ed

Having said that ISTR that someone had a go at BRM for featuring Pempoul because it "wasn't British".

I don't recall that; we certainly didn't get any complaints into the office. I feel there's a place for top quality overseas modelling in any mag if it brings inspiration.

I don't recall that; we certainly didn't get any complaints into the office. I feel there's a place for top quality overseas modelling in any mag if it brings inspiration.

I don't think we got any complaints when Model Rail featured it, either, but we certainly did when we put the International section into the mag, despite the fact that it was extra pages and there was no reduction in UK content. 

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm with Ed!

I think it may have been mentioned in a thread here.

I do recall reading the comment though.

The mag is British Railway Modelling and the comment was along the lines that Pempoul wasn't British so why was it featured!

Khris

As to a what I would want from a new mag, thinking about it a magazine like the late lamented (at least by me) Model Inspirations our very own Andy's creation on RMWeb (until the extra work that the tie in with BRM created) would be the sort of mag that I would buy (hard copy), particularly as a bi-monthly or quarterly.

Can I just add an "hear hear"

I would take the actual phrase "British Railway Modelling" to mean modelling in Britain. Last I heard, Gordon and Maggie are British and Pempoul was built in Britain.

Pete

It could also apply to overseas modellers producing UK based layouts of which there are some very fine examples.

I'm with Ed!

I think it may have been mentioned in a thread here.

I do recall reading the comment though.

The mag is British Railway Modelling and the comment was along the lines that Pempoul wasn't British so why was it featured!

Khris

Maybe it was this exchange? - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73780-brm-live-is-now-live/&do=findComment&comment=1092923

If so, there are contextual nuances as it's mixing BRM and BRM Live up to a degree. The point there being we haven't had any complaints that anyone has bought BRM since the masthead change by mistake in thinking it related to an erstwhile F1 team or anything else.

That almost reads like Buaer, Warners etc are altruists - Just doing it cos they can spread the word of Model Railways....Im sure that isnt quite the case is it? ;)

Presumably an argument could be made that Peco have a touch of altruism about them (I'm sure they sell it to their accountants as 'cross-promotion'). Mind you, for all I know the Pritchard Patent Company is a behemoth dressed in Great Aunts clothing :O  and not deserving of any slack being cut...

Taking my tongue out of my cheek (and as a regular reader of RM and MR, which I find to be a complimentary package), this has been an interesting thread and I have decided to have a quick look at the new BRM as a result of the debate. It used to contain too many articles about prototype coal trains for my liking (a failing of MRC back in the day, too) though of course I fully appreciate that many people buy/bought it for precisely that reason.

Reading around the subject via Google I was intrigued to see the circulation figure/guess for CM though - I remember the launch out of RM and more than 30 years and several recessions later I'm still bewildered how they got away with it. That is because apart from prototype coal train articles, there's nothing that interests me less than modelling continental trains.

The point of my post is just to say that a well executed launch in a well researched market can work and who's to say the opportunity isn't there?

• RMweb Gold

Reading around the subject via Google I was intrigued to see the circulation figure/guess for CM though - I remember the launch out of RM and more than 30 years and several recessions later I'm still bewildered how they got away with it. That is because apart from prototype coal train articles, there's nothing that interests me less than modelling continental trains.

Having been a fairly regular RM reader, the launch of CM in the mid-80s more or less coincided with my own re-immersion in US HO, so I dropped RM and lapped CM up instead, simply because while there was more European stuff than US, the adverts for the rather obscure UK stockists of US HO were invaluable. The Internet has somewhat cut away at that printed media advantage, but even so when I get to England, now I am more interested in British OO there are always items of interest in the smaller ads in any model magazine I buy. Advertising not only helps the costs of the publication, it adds real value for this reader.

• RMweb Premium

To take that further, I'd like to see an article on a well-executed overseas-prototype layout appear every month, as I think it's good to broaden perceived horizons and gain inspiration from previously unknown sources; maybe just a two-page spread so as not to exclude other content but with good quality photos and website details to pursue if desired...

David

I would take the actual phrase "British Railway Modelling" to mean modelling in Britain. Last I heard, Gordon and Maggie are British and Pempoul was built in Britain.

Pete

And what about Irish railways? There have been some fantastic Irish models in British Railway Modelling down the years, and I bet nobody complained about them not being British.

• RMweb Gold

I know from a friends experience that MRJ are 'difficult' to write for in that they want articles written in a certain way - I'm certainly not suggesting that the remainder of the UK mags use this much 'control' but maybe they should apply some pressure on prospective authors, to write in an engaging style and describe methods and motives of operation, for example.

Again, not aimed at MR specifically but all UK modelling magazines apart from MRJ.

(I'm trying to gently 'push' in a certain direction - if this offends, I apologise!)

Cheers one & all,

John E.

PS I do realise that some authors already write in such an engaging style, kudos to them! It's just that the majority don't / can't.

Having written a number of articles for MRJ I have to say this has not been my experience, I have never found them 'difficult' or particularly prescriptive.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
I find it very telling that Dapol never offerred their wagons for review, to the best of my knowledge, to MRJ or the GOG Gazette, I dont wish to wander off of the OP though.

Wandering off thread slightly I think Dapol just supply models to the main magazines and not to the Societies/Associations/Guilds for review.

Not providing models to MRJ isn't too suprising - I can't imagine too many readers being interested in the latest BacHornHelpol model given the fine-scale leanings of the publication.

Not providing something to the scale specific societies is harder the understand. I believe the N Gauge Society find it difficult to get any Dapol models for review and usually end up having to borrow them from friendly model shops or relying on members who have bought the new models supplying the review.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

To take that further, I'd like to see an article on a well-executed overseas-prototype layout appear every month, as I think it's good to broaden perceived horizons and gain inspiration from previously unknown sources; maybe just a two-page spread so as not to exclude other content but with good quality photos and website details to pursue if desired...

David

If they can find anything remotely as good as Pempoul, fine.

I'm not generally interested in foreign prototypes or, by extension, models of them. Apart from some beauties emanating from the Netherlands, mainly seen at Chatham shows, I find most of the continental-prototype exhibition layouts I've seen over the years far too formulaic and "chocolate box" for my liking.

Pempoul is neither and appeals because the sheer quality of both modelling and presentation blows all my prejudices out of the water! 

Otherwise, I'd rather not see UK content watered down.

John

• RMweb Premium

I saw it as adding to UK content rather than watering it down, and I expect the chaps running the mags will be more than capable of tracking down some really good quality layouts; there's probably a few on here that could feature for a start...

Archived