Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Model of the Year 2013 Results

The results of the Model of the Year 2013 poll are now published and Bachmann/Farish are the big winners in terms of the popular vote whilst Dapol's Western in N and OO gauge take their respective categories to make an interesting trio of champions with Heljan's O gauge offering. RealTrack have a commendable win in the OO multiple unit catgeory with their first powered model. It's the first year where Hornby have not taken top spot in at least one category too.

MotY2013aL.jpg

MotY2013bL.jpg

MotY2013cL.jpg

Graham Hubbard, Managing Director of Bachmann Europe Plc, said today “we are delighted that once again railway modellers have recognised our efforts by voting for us in the ‘Model of the Year’ awards. To win 4 out of 5 N scale categories and 4 out of 6 in the OO scale votes is a tremendous achievement. Being voted manufacturer of the year in both N and OO scale and overall, shows how far we have come as a company in the past 25 years. Rest assured we will continue to develop exciting models in both scales over the coming year and look forward to receiving your feedback through next year’s poll. Thanks to all those who took the time and trouble to vote – you can only guess at the sense of pride and achievement that the team at Barwell feel right now”.

Dave Jones of DJModels said "I am absolutely delighted that the Class 52 Western model has won Model Rail / RMWeb diesel model of the year in both N and OO gauge categories. Designing these models in conjunction with advice and suggestions from members of RMweb forum was a real pleasure and has led to a whole new way of interacting with the buying public that I, as owner of DJModels Ltd, will gladly further with my new product line. Congratulations must also go to the other winners for producing simply stunning models and raising the modelling 'bar' further each year."

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see one of the new boys winning the Multiple Unit Award........................................ Oh No, Charlie is going to be evenmore unbearable now!!!!! :jester:

Seriously. Well done Charlie and Arran. :clapping:  :clapping:  :clapping:

Sorry Arran for spelling your name incorrectly. edited to correct it.

Hi

As I know Charlie will be stuck for words. I thought I'd jump in with my congratulations.

Very well done to Charlie and Arran for their efforts and level of service. Now how about a class 156!

Stephen

Ps Also well done to Bachmann and Dapol for some cracking models throughout the year.

• RMweb Gold

I think the 00 steam and diesel & electric locos voting tells us an enormous amount even if if it is only from a sample of around 1300 people.  The steam vote in particular shows how a relatively unknown (to many modellers) prototype of a tank engine can be really appreciated if it is done well, trouncing too fairly well know classes of glamourous 'big engines'.  So not just a message to Hornby but no doubt one to all manufacturers that there is a part of the market which is interested in what might not necessarily be the thing they would first think of but will still appreciate (and hopefully buy of course) if it is made to the level of detail and fidelity we have come to expect in recent years.

• RMweb Gold

Was nobody from Dapol available for comment, no disrespect to Dave and I know the Western was his doing and can rightly accept the praise for the model but he doesn't work for them anymore!

Mark

The new Dapol team do not seem to have chosen to engage with this forum in the way that Dave did on their behalf. No doubt they have their reasons, and it may be that they will become more visible when they feel they have good things to announce.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to see Class 52 sweep the board in all scales despite having comes from different manufacturers.  And for my money a good result for the Polybulks which are among the very best RtR wagons I have ever seen with magnificent detail and superb running.

Those with honours go forth and enjoy.  And as others have already commented the message to Margate is clearly to lift your game and sort out your supply chain if you wish to be here for next year's competition.

• RMweb Premium

Well done Bachmann and Dapol. We should not take anything away from their fine victories. But the major implication is obvious from this poll:  Hornby have lost it!  If anything I am surprised that DoG 72XX and 42XX got as many votes as they did, although tellingly OO works got close to beating 42XX. Well done OO works. For the Hornby Maunsell Unconverted Coach to get 231 votes is amazing- I didn't think theyd released that many- certainly rarer than Hens teeth up here.

Well done Bachmann/ Farish, Dapol , OO Works. Hornby you need to buck yourself up soonish!

Was nobody from Dapol available for comment, no disrespect to Dave and I know the Western was his doing and can rightly accept the praise for the model but he doesn't work for them anymore!

Mark

Dapol (via Joel Bright) were invited to comment; Dave had shown an interest in the outcome for the Western project for obvious reasons.

We would like to thank all those modern image modellers who voted for us, both of us just wanted to make a model that we would buy! The sales on the Class 144 have been 'Brisk', very few of the first batch left, the good news is the second batch leaves China shortly, the website will be updated with this info as soon as we have had confirmed there despatch.

The future following the 143 is an all new DMU, followed by a third DMU. 

Guesses on a postcard to?????????

Arran & Charlie  .

One thing that interests me is how similar the level of interest is between the different scales. I often assume that OO is many times more popular that N and O. The number of responses here suggests that the gap isn't actually as big as I thought.

An outcome that reflects reality, Bachmann have had a solid year, plenty of new product with no discernable dip in quality. Some top notch releases amongst more mundane prototypes. The Realtrack 144 is truly wonderful and sets new standards. Its 'brisk' sales bodes well for the future of the business so lets hope a Swindon 120 is one of the secrets. Heljan have not disappointed but their lower number of models and less innovation would point away from outright top spot for me though I do love their products. Next year should be interesting with DJM joining the fray, Hornby entering N gauge (* don't count those chickens yet) and more new models across the board to keep us excited.

As posted by Olddudders, Hornby need to wake up and deal with this onslaught if they want to survive as a serious player.

A big well done to each of the winners for bringing us such marvels.

Dear Hornby

Herewith another wake-up call. No product means no sales, means no success, means no profit.

Be there, or be buried.

Yours frustratedly

The Market Place

Given the recent announcements dont you think thats exactly what Hornby are now doing ?

I say give them some time to get their house in order..........

Good showing for small black locos in OO. Hornby do seem to be 'on track' there having decided well before these results to go for the 700, J15 and K1. If they make a premium job of the J15 in particular, they will probably take the category by storm for the year it goes on sale: it makes an exquisite model thanks to both its petite dimensions and general design elegance.

I am impressed at the recognition of the Golden Age coaches in OO; for low volume sale productions that's a strong performance.

• RMweb Gold

I think the 00 steam and diesel & electric locos voting tells us an enormous amount even if if it is only from a sample of around 1300 people.  The steam vote in particular shows how a relatively unknown (to many modellers) prototype of a tank engine can be really appreciated if it is done well, trouncing too fairly well know classes of glamourous 'big engines'.  So not just a message to Hornby but no doubt one to all manufacturers that there is a part of the market which is interested in what might not necessarily be the thing they would first think of but will still appreciate (and hopefully buy of course) if it is made to the level of detail and fidelity we have come to expect in recent years.

To give Hornby their due, none of the new locos announced this year are of large "glamorous" types, so maybe we are preaching to the already converted.  

John

• RMweb Gold

To give Hornby their due, none of the new locos announced this year are of large "glamorous" types, so maybe we are preaching to the already converted.  

John

Indeed so John and as I remarked elsewhere when their programme was announced - it could be a significant change on their part.  However my comment was not aimed specifically at them as I said - there is, i feel, a message in there for all manufacturers.

There's a selection bias in these results.

Speaking personally, I only voted for models where I had some personal familiarity or saw an overwhelming response here, with great photographs, reviews, lots of interest and views expressed here (like the winning Western model) and only voted on items where I paid attention (00).

An example of where our selection bias might have an impact is that I don't remember any discussion here of the Golden Age streamlined LNER cars. I find the Coronation/West Riding and Silver Jubilee sets interesting, but don't recall the Golden Age versions being discussed much at all here (and Google wasn't much help today). They might have been brilliant, but I wouldn't and didn't know enough to offer an opinion.

Yes, I'm sure they were expensive and that didn't stop them being eligible for consideration, but for some reason they don't feature prominently in our conversations here.

I'm not touting for Andy or RMWeb but the first box of data that Andy presented should tell marketeers a lot about what they need to do if they want to win this prize.

An example of where our selection bias might have an impact is that I don't remember any discussion here of the Golden Age streamlined LNER cars. I find the Coronation/West Riding and Silver Jubilee sets interesting, but don't recall the Golden Age versions being discussed much at all here (and Google wasn't much help today). They might have been brilliant, but I wouldn't and didn't know enough to offer an opinion.

Yes, I'm sure they were expensive and that didn't stop them being eligible for consideration, but for some reason they don't feature prominently in our conversations here.

Part of the problem in this case is your location. The majority of UK modellers live in the UK and are aware of exhibitions as well as discussing models on the forum.

In this particular case the models have appeared at shows, have been very well displayed and have attracted a great deal of attention.

Quite possibly the main players could learn a trick or two about promoting their products going by the results of the poll.

I do wonder how the results translate into actual sales.

Bernard

Archived