Old Tram Depots still in existence

melmerby

• 1 month later...

Lovely view of the typical Hull tram track rail with its centre groove for the centrally placed flanges on the wheels.   Must have been more difficult to re-profile the wheels when they got flats unlike on conventional single flange tyred wheels.   Trust someone has got a conservation order on them as they are unique in the UK.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bit more here (Anlaby Road):

https://goo.gl/maps/RsDn4At5dA37ev4dA

Former entrance to Wheeler Street depot

Some more further in:

https://goo.gl/maps/a4rPAsAChchVCkP89

You can still see the tracks in amongstb the scrap

BTW Doncaster also used centre groove track.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Driving through the urban wasteland stretching from the (mostly derelict) docks towards the town centre, I saw a building clearly marked “Grimsby Corporation Tramways”; its peeling white paint and blocked entry didn’t suggest that it had a role in the 21st century...

• Like 2

On 29/06/2019 at 18:51, rockershovel said:

Driving through the urban wasteland stretching from the (mostly derelict) docks towards the town centre, I saw a building clearly marked “Grimsby Corporation Tramways”; its peeling white paint and blocked entry didn’t suggest that it had a role in the 21st century...

Would that be the large grey building? If so then a few years ago it was still in use as a Stagecoach bus depot. I went past one day and noticed the tram rails were still in evidence in the entrance. They were kind enough to let me in and take a few pictures, must see if I can find them.

Nigel L

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lemmy282 said:

Would that be the large grey building? If so then a few years ago it was still in use as a Stagecoach bus depot. I went past one day and noticed the tram rails were still in evidence in the entrance. They were kind enough to let me in and take a few pictures, must see if I can find them.

Nigel L

This one https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/184069

this pic seems to date from 2006 or so. It looked closed when I drove past, I’m going to Grimsby again in about 2 weeks so I’ll try and get a pic

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:27, melmerby said:

BTW Doncaster also used centre groove track.

As did the horse tramways of Liverpool. Up to the 70's there used to be a bit of centre-groove track that was never used, still lain in a cobbled street in the city, but I can't for the life of me remember where, and the copy of Liverpool Transport with the picture in is at my dads.....

Andy G

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, uax6 said:

As did the horse tramways of Liverpool. Up to the 70's there used to be a bit of centre-groove track that was never used, still lain in a cobbled street in the city, but I can't for the life of me remember where, and the copy of Liverpool Transport with the picture in is at my dads.....

Andy G

Kinnear clarks book Tramways, their construction and working of 1894 has an image over a couple of pages showing 50 different rolled steel rail sections.  A couple of those are centre groove.  There must be 150 pages dedicated to current thinking an track construction.  Remember this would predominantly cover rails for horse and steam tram.

i learnt recently that the rural sections of the kinver tramway used railway style rail but changed to tramway grooved rail when they came to the crossing loops, I imagine that is to enable them to utilise tramway points and crossings.

i think it was the use of railway rail and the narrow 3' 6" gauge that meant the board of trade would only allow single deck operation, the tramways grooved rail providing a constant check rail and therefore stability.  The tramway flanges being so much shallower than their railway counterparts.  

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 30/06/2019 at 21:53, Lemmy282 said:

Nigel L

Found the pictures, they were taken in August 2001, I didn't realise it was that long ago.

Nigel L

2001-08-06 012.JPG

2001-08-06 013.JPG

• Like 10

Yes, Andy, the Kinver LR was constructed with Vignoles rail and had three double deck trams to start the service but the BoT inspection prohibited their use.   Three single deck cars were loaned to open the line.   Such was the demand to travel there from all over the Black Country, the running line was relaid in grooved permitting other operators' single deck cars to be used on the special through services.   I recall seeing in the 1970s the remaining Vignoles rail (and buffer stops) still in the waterlogged pit lines of the base of The Hyde depot lost within a wood.   In the book on the line by Paul Collins are photos of the mainline in grooved before closure and of some that existed into the present century.    There are stories that at least one double deck car had used the line but there is no substantiated evidence.   However, that is not stopping me from having a D&SDET Bellamy roofed double decker (used on the Dudley - Stourbridge mainline that connected) on my Kinver style line!!!   Although no photos have come to light of the standard 'Tividale' front-exit single truck single deck cars on the line, I have read so many 'witness statements' that they did, so I believe it and use both the old Tennents and now P&D Marsh kit cars.   Colin.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, coline33 said:

Yes, Andy, the Kinver LR was constructed with Vignoles rail and had three double deck trams to start the service but the BoT inspection prohibited their use.   Three single deck cars were loaned to open the line.   Such was the demand to travel there from all over the Black Country, the running line was relaid in grooved permitting other operators' single deck cars to be used on the special through services.   I recall seeing in the 1970s the remaining Vignoles rail (and buffer stops) still in the waterlogged pit lines of the base of The Hyde depot lost within a wood.   In the book on the line by Paul Collins are photos of the mainline in grooved before closure and of some that existed into the present century.    There are stories that at least one double deck car had used the line but there is no substantiated evidence.   However, that is not stopping me from having a D&SDET Bellamy roofed double decker (used on the Dudley - Stourbridge mainline that connected) on my Kinver style line!!!   Although no photos have come to light of the standard 'Tividale' front-exit single truck single deck cars on the line, I have read so many 'witness statements' that they did, so I believe it and use both the old Tennents and now P&D Marsh kit cars.   Colin.  

Thank you Colin, excellent knowledge.  I walked what I could of the rural section in the mid eightie, I think....   I didn't see any track then.  

There were rails in the depot yard in Amblecote at that time, there long gone now although the depot building is still there.  It is the Stourbridge laser quest now and sits the other side to a Chinese restaurant that was once the fish inn where trams would depart for kinver. 

Anyway, the inclusion of old depot data returns the hyjacked thread to its true purpose

andy

• Like 1

Thanks, Andy.   The Hyde depot base with pits, etc. is still there within the wooded area - yes, it is private land so be careful.   The Hyde depot structure still exists but it is in use on a nearby farm - again on private land.   If you have not already read the book, I strongly recommend Paul Collins' "The Kinver Light Railway - Echoes of a Lost Tramway".   It has a mass of photos of what has survived and been unearthed, including Amblecote depot and the two parts of The Hyde depot!   Some wooden tramway overhead wire standards still remain in use for electricity supplies and these are well over 100 years old!   When I, with David Voice, walked the canal section in the 1970s, it was with the possibilities of a museum line but the available funding then was better used in creating the Black Country Museum.   I would love to think the Kinver - Stewponey section, with its base being the restored depot at The Hyde, could be reopened as an extension of BCM but I only see it in model form!!!   Colin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

At the risk of expanding the topic, has anyone else seen the old tram system in A Coruña in Galicia?

The tram track is still in place around much of the city, especially the sea front and docks.

The depot is still intact.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3821777,-8.4071791,159m/data=!3m1!1e3

And so are the overhead power cables and picturesque masts

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3829203,-8.4012252,3a,60y,315.28h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sexue_nl3U5dz_FYIZYUDOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just a few 100 metres from the magnificant 2,000 year old Tower of Hercules lighthouse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3838583,-8.401847,3a,75y,315.76h,88.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saqDV_EegbyY59cUyAA3FSw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

At the risk of expanding the topic, has anyone else seen the old tram system in A Coruña in Galicia?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3829203,-8.4012252,3a,60y,315.28h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sexue_nl3U5dz_FYIZYUDOw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thank you for this interesting reference.

May I politely say that I would not describe the (overhead power) masts as "picturesque"?

However, I would say that some of the lamp standards are "ornate".

CP

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The tram track is still in place around much of the city, especially the sea front and docks.

The depot is still intact.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3821777,-8.4071791,159m/data=!3m1!1e3

Just a few 100 metres from the magnificant 2,000 year old Tower of Hercules lighthouse.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3838583,-8.401847,3a,75y,315.76h,88.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saqDV_EegbyY59cUyAA3FSw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Unfortunately the OH runs out at the next traffic island to the East.

I assume it is now all out of use?

Answer - Yes, since 2011 but:

https://urban-transport-magazine.com/en/new-hope-for-the-tramway-in-la-coruna-spain/

Definitely ornate infrastructure.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Unfortunately the OH runs out at the next traffic island to the East.

I assume it is now all out of use?

Answer - Yes, since 2011 but:

https://urban-transport-magazine.com/en/new-hope-for-the-tramway-in-la-coruna-spain/

Definitely ornate infrastructure.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the news, should we call them Lamp-Masts perhaps? Whatever they are called, I thought they look quite pretty.

La-Coruna-Tram-Foto-Budach-IMG_5327-656x337.jpg.ee59a7a79401d15777c9f56c14d25be0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Thanks for the news, should we call them Lamp-Masts perhaps? Whatever they are called, I thought they look quite pretty.

La-Coruna-Tram-Foto-Budach-IMG_5327-656x337.jpg.ee59a7a79401d15777c9f56c14d25be0.jpg

They look typically Spanish to me, hints of Gaudi there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I stand corrected. In the earlier mentioned shot these ornate structures did not appear to support the overhead tramway wires. But as above they clearly do.

Whilst I agree there is hint of the work of Gaudi, I suspect (from the shape of the posts rather than the brackets) that these are relatively more modern.

CP

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Not a depot but a small remnant of Manchester tramway (in Salford?):

https://goo.gl/maps/Prd41qYbMmSGb4Zm8

The corner of Great Clowes Street & Cliff Crescent.

This had been abandoned by the early 30's

(Even the road appears to be abandoned now!)

If you turn around and look the other way you can see where the tracks have been removed from the stone setts.

Apologies if it has been mentioned but the Wigan Corporation Tramways depot building is still extant as a storage depot, situated in Platt Bridge (street name a dead give away to its original use).

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 3