Old Tram Depots still in existence

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

In addition to the tram depot in Horwich which has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the main depot in Shiffnall Street Bolton still stands, seen here looking rather the worse for wear.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7144/6771144631_bcdbaf4a83.jpg

Whilst searching for that picture, I also found this at the junction of St Helens Road & Hulton Lane, https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/5071452092/ past which I used to drive every day when I lived in Bolton without even realising it has been a tram depot!  I believe it is still there, although no longer a Renault garage.

To round off this post about local tram depots, here is a link to the Wikipedia page on the Wigan tram depot at Platt Bridge, still in use by a haulage firm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigan_Corporation_Tramways,

Regards

Moxy

Edited by Moxy
  • Like 1

The building that once was Coatbridge Tram Depot still exists on Main Street, it was opened in 1904 and closed in 1956, after closure it bacame Watsons Garage, the areas main Vauxhall Dealer, but since the 1980s(?) it has been a Magnet Kitchens Showroom.  There is a photo of the depot on this page http://glasgowtransport.co.uk/depots.html scroll down to the bottom row on page 1, it is on the left, here is the building today.

post-188-0-59305100-1423756654.jpg

Being Coatbridge no picture is complete wthout a couple of "dobbers" sipping ale on a nice afternoon!!!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

The building that once was Coatbridge Tram Depot still exists on Main Street, it was opened in 1904 and closed in 1956, after closure it bacame Watsons Garage, the areas main Vauxhall Dealer, but since the 1980s(?) it has been a Magnet Kitchens Showroom.  There is a photo of the depot on this page http://glasgowtransport.co.uk/depots.html scroll down to the bottom row on page 1, it is on the left, here is the building today.

attachicon.giftramdepot.JPG

Being Coatbridge no picture is complete wthout a couple of "dobbers" sipping ale on a nice afternoon!!!

Jim

Looking down that list there is also Possilpark depot that still exists.

Tramshed top of brixton Hill in use as bus garage, sub of main Brixton garage. still there and even has LCC sign above door and visiable tracks within I believe.

Is that Telford Avenue ? I used to live in Mitcham 50 years ago. Yes the trams were electric not horse-drawn.

Dennis

• RMweb Premium

Tramshed top of brixton Hill in use as bus garage, sub of main Brixton garage. still there and even has LCC sign above door and visiable tracks within I believe.

is that this one linked to earlier? (Post#40 - CromptonNut)

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/history/brixton-hill-tram-depot.html

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Fantastic thread folks.

In 2011 I succeeded in getting English Heritage to list the "Aston Manor Tramways Depot" in Witton, Aston Birmingham. It is a full Grade 2 listing and protects both the exterior and the interior.

Don't forget that track still survives in Darlaston near the entrance of the old depot and that on the Kinver light railway roadside route many wooden tram poles now act as electricity wire carriers, you can identify them by the clamp grooves still extant at the top where the catenary was suspended.

Also some magnificent tram track survives near the tenements in Barrow in Furness.

There has been mention of tramlines in Beresford Square Woolwich, but just the other side of Woolwich Arsenal rail station was the tram shed itself which has survived and been used a theatre by Greenwich Council for many years. It claims to have hosted London's first comedy club and I remember seeing Hale and Pace in a show hosted by Rory McGrath there, way back when.

http://www.glypt.co.uk/tramshed/tramshedhistory/ 

Cardiff Corporation Tramways had several depots over the years, but the two principal depots were at Roath (Newport Road) and Clare Road (at its junction with Pendyrus St.) Grangetown.

Roath was demolished many years ago, whereas Clare Road still stands after being used as a trolley bus depot, then the council vehicle workshops.

The depot is currently being converted into shops etc.

Brian R

PS

One other Cardiff (horse) tram depot survives at the junctions of Clive St. / South Clive St. / Ferry Road & York Place, Grangetown - currently serving as a bed shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Not an Electric Traction Tramway but the offices of the Wantage Tramway Company still exist half way down Mill Street.  Sorry no photo but the building is easily found due to the stone plaque on the fascia facing Mill Street.

Loconuts 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A former cable tram engine house, in Melbourne, Australia, which has since been converted to apartments. One unit sold today.

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/domain-news/features/north-melbourne-former-cable-tramway-engine-house-apartment-conversion-fetches-680000-20150704-gi54au.html

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I will throw in Prestwick Road in Ayr....

Can't give map ref or pic but if anyone is interested I will try to get a photo in the next few days .

M b

I bought my first car, Austin Mini, from Ayr Tram sheds when it was a car dealership way back in the late 60's.

Ian

• Like 1

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the blue building/warehouse just to the left of the street sign and behind the trees is the mortal remains of the M.E.T. depot at Stonebridge Park in W. London, which was used by the services to Sudbury.

post-6983-0-21560900-1474212289_thumb.jpg

It is better seen from the Bakerloo/DC Lines.

Until a few years ago the brick end walls could still be seen.

There is a picture from 1924 of a tram outside the depot on page 151 of Robert Harley's "North London Trams", and the roof profile in the photo matches that in the above photo. In the photo in the book there is a train on the Watford DC/Bakerloo lines in the background showing that the depot was at an angle to the railway embankment which matches the current positioning of the extant building and the Bakerloo/DC lines. According to Harley's book, it started life in 1906, was extended to 12 roads in 1912, and was converted for trolleybus use in 1936. Diesel buses took over in 1962 ((SE), and it closed as a bus depot in 1981. Not bad for a 110 year old building to still be in current use.

Edited by GoingUnderground
  • Like 2

OK, I gave up reading through this lot, so it might have been mentioned already .........

Stony Stratford depot of W&SST is still intact, as a builders depot, which is a minor miracle considering that it is nothing but a ćollection of large tin sheds.

Kevin

• Like 1

Just found this thread and I thought I check if the remains of Hampstead Tram Depot were recorded but they aren't.

They are just round the corner from where I live off Fleet Road NW3. Most of the Depot which became LB Camden depot was knocked down and turned into a Housing Association and private homes estate. However some of the offices off Cressy Road still exist and I will grab a photo in the next few days. 

Strangely the property built to the left hand side of the Fleet Road entrance was occupied by Dale Winton for many years.

• RMweb Premium

Are there still tram tracks in the courtyard of the Merseyside PTE building at Hatton Garden in Liverpool? It must be 30 years since I last walked past the entrance...

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Are there still tram tracks in the courtyard of the Merseyside PTE building at Hatton Garden in Liverpool? It must be 30 years since I last walked past the entrance...

Andy G

Is the PTE (that was) and the building still there?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifWP_20150718_002.jpg

Sheffield, Albert Road.

Just round the corner from Rails of Sheffield.

Stewart

From 1878!

An interesting use as a gateway through and incorporated into a newish development of apartments. It could have easily demolished it but sensibly wasn't. (but see below!)

Keith

Edit

Apparently it had almost completely fallen down at one point and has been rebuilt:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/hjdary/media/DSC00240.jpg.html

There seems to be another ex-tramway building behind it at an angle to it.

2nd Edit

Formally a Horse Tram Depot & Stables

The Façade is Grade 2 listed and the builder was taken to court for "Wilful Damage To a Listed Structure" so had to rebuild it (now slightly higher for clearance purposes!)

Edited by melmerby