The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Spring is sprung - butterflies are out

Phil Bullock

• 2 weeks later...

I had two peacock butterflies in my back garden yesterday. They seemed particularly interested in the flowers currently on my plum tree. There may also have been a speckled wood on the back fence, but I only caught a brief glimpse before it flew off and never came back again. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Orange tip and holly blue yesterday .... more holly blues today.

Even more special this evening.... sat out side as night falls with a glass of cider watching the bats swooping around the garden.... magical! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Good old Aunty Beeb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52630991

Spot the howlers

Have emailed , lets see what happens

Email had desired effect - images of skipper moth and large white moth removed and replaced with something far more..... mothy!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

None of the usual butterflies out here yet, I think it has been too wet and cold and no sign of the Buddleia coming into flower. Lot of Ringlets about, they don't seem to mind the rain.

• RMweb Gold

Managed to find plenty of ringlet, large and small skippers recently, also purple hairstreak round a favoured tree in a local park. Will go back there in the next few days when the weather improves, Essex skipper should be out, and the small skippers will mostly be faded, making initial sifting easier! Common and holly blues (2 generations) locally. Whilst birding near Newport this week, marbled white and gatekeeper in drizzle. Needless to say, meadow browns everywhere, and saw a couple of painted ladies end of May.

As not allowed to work for a while yet, may venture further afield for brown hairstreak, silver spotted skipper next month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

For some reason, whilst there are lots of butterflies about in both Bedfordshire and Devon, they are not feeding on the buddleias.  Has the dry summer reduced the amount of nectar produced?

You didn't say what sort of butterflies. Were they species which normally feed on buddleia ?

• RMweb Premium

I'll also add that I can see a buddleia when I go out (not often at the moment) - two weeks ago it didn't register, a week ago I noticed it was heavily in flower, tonight it has finished. Not so much reduced nectar as a short season, perhaps caused by the dry spring. I'll take my pedant's hat off now. :P