Spitfire's Workbench - On3 Obsession

Very nice. You got me tempted.

I think they used coach screws on the floor nails are very poor fixings.

The works drawing doesnt show bolts through the flooring, nor any mention of it. While nails arent the best fixing, the floors didnt usually go anywhere, so all that is needed engineering-wise is to ensure they dont come up easily.

Well, I got a lot of busywork done, as well as sorting out the catches for the drop doors.

post-21863-0-95923400-1481000106_thumb.jpg

Now I can mess around with the rest without the doors flopping about.

But I am rather proud of this.

post-21863-0-29721900-1481000120_thumb.jpg

Heres one of the catches. The brackets holding them to the solebar are a bolt and nut soldered together and drilled through 1mm.

I did the first and realized, while prototypical and free moving, was very easy to knock and the door would drop. So instead, I added wire to spring against the floor plank to give it some resistance. Now, to open the door, you have to push a little on the "monkey bar" hanging down. To close, just pull up the door, and itll snap in place.

I was so pleased I couldnt resist filling it with fake coal and watching the doors spring open and pour out. Though this has dirtied the interior a bit.

Next, I must sort out the side doors.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well I ended up finding miniature nails.

And I spent about 3 hours this evening drilling, pushing, and hammering these nails into the planks.

post-21863-0-16515100-1482982187_thumb.jpg

I have now finished all nailing I am going to be undertaking on this wagon.

Now to finish the corner plates, after my headache goes away from the hammering.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

The whole thing is starting to take shape. All sides on, and one corner plate attached.

Wish I added a half etch line to the corner plates. Folding just one was hard enough...

I'm sure that could easily be sorted using a triangular file to cut a groove in the back of the remaining corner plates if you haven't already done them.

• RMweb Premium

Well Ive gotten a lot done.

attachicon.gifIMG_2315.JPG

The whole thing is starting to take shape. All sides on, and one corner plate attached.

Wish I added a half etch line to the corner plates. Folding just one was hard enough...

attachicon.gifIMG_2316.JPG

But I think it has come out ok. Still need to file down the bolts.

attachicon.gifIMG_2317.JPG

I do like the inner corner strapping.

And because I might actually be insane at this point, Im considering how I can either find or make micro nails to actually nail down the floor...

attachicon.gifIMG_2318.JPG

Anyone know if tiny nails 5mm long exist?

Midland D299 - essential! I hope you've worked out how to mass-produce these...

I'm sure that could easily be sorted using a triangular file to cut a groove in the back of the remaining corner plates if you haven't already done them.

Youd think that, and Ive attacked them with files, scrapers, saws, and a dremel. Stainless is tough. Luckily I had the time to throw them in a vice and hammer the last 2 into shape. Much easier than bending them by hand between two pliers. I also really wish I had a small vice I could bring to school.

Midland D299 - essential! I hope you've worked out how to mass-produce these...

I am considering making a silicone mold of it when I finish the bodywork. While I could make a few castings hoping it all goes well, I dont have the skills to make short runs or further, nor the funds or knowledge to have it professionaly done.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Youd think that, and Ive attacked them with files, scrapers, saws, and a dremel. Stainless is tough. Luckily I had the time to throw them in a vice and hammer the last 2 into shape. Much easier than bending them by hand between two pliers. I also really wish I had a small vice I could bring to school.

That depends on the grade of stainless, some is easy to work. At least you managed to get it sorted with a vice, I missed that you were only trying with pliers before. Looking forward to seeing it it completed, it's reminding me of a horse drawn waggon my granddad made from scratch which copied all the life size construction techniques but scaled down (yes, he even sweat a steel band onto the wooden spoked wheels!)

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, with my final semester in full swing, that also means I have my Capstone Experience to do.

So it will cut into modelling time, but hopefully Ill get some things done.

Work on the gauge 3 wagon has halted waiting for a solution to the door pins and casting it in silicone.

But 4mm work has progressed a bit today with an order of some HMRS transfers for the LNER, GWR, and SR goods liveries.

And Ive painted an LBSC open from Cambrian I bought several months ago.

post-21863-0-25789500-1485400052_thumb.jpg

(The glossy spots were touchups after a spray of Matt varnish)

Unfortunately, from modeling mostly Midland, LNWR, and LMS stock, Ive been rather blessed with grey liveries. And the Southern had to throw a wrench into the works with brown.

So 20 minutes of mixing paints to match a photo I found on Google, I had a batch of SR Brown, or as close to it as I can get.

Hopefully I can soon order some more kits pertaining to the 3 decal sheets I have ordered.

Edited by Spitfire2865
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I am considering making a silicone mold of it when I finish the bodywork. While I could make a few castings hoping it all goes well, I dont have the skills to make short runs or further, nor the funds or knowledge to have it professionaly done.

If your school has a 3d scanner you could scan it and ten 3d print them just the costof the thread, unless you can convince them it is for your capstone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have given up on casting this wagon in silicon due to multiple reasons, so Ive started the detail work again.

post-21863-0-16947000-1489671273_thumb.jpg

First job to do was making the door pegs. Each ended up being made by drilling a 1mm dia hole in the end of a 2mm rod. Then a 1mm wire was soldered into said hole and then about 30 minutes of filing the rod to shape and cutting to length. Then the hole was drilled for the door pin.

So 2ish hours later I had the doors ready to mount.

Drill hinge holes, bend wire, glue and press home.

post-21863-0-47423900-1489671290_thumb.jpg

And all that so the doors open...

Edited by Spitfire2865
  • Like 4

A while back I bought a used Bachmann junior saddle tank with the intent of modifying it.

While my original plan didnt pan out, I did have a look around at what others have done to them and found one photo of a freelance open cab body built for the chassis. Sadly I now cant find the photo which inspired me, but I decided to try and have a go at making something like it myself.

If anyone knows of the photo, please link it. I could have sworn it was on here somewhere but after a couple days of searching, Im defeated.

Well, some chassis modification to remove the DCC nonsense and free up the footplate space, and I had a quick mockup in card and plastic.

post-21863-0-50961700-1489897379_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-78828000-1489897393_thumb.jpg

I have ordered a foot length section of brass tube 3/4" OD for the boiler, and plan for the rest to be made from styrene.

My design is similar to a drawing of an pseudo Armstrong early 0-6-0 tendered goods loco, but fitted with side tanks and a shortened boiler to leave footplate space. Ive elected to leave the footplate where it is because Ive already mounted buffers previously and dont fancy making up new bufferbeams.

The firebox will extend to about where the placeholder is now, and the coal bunkers will be either side.

Im on the fence whether or not to have a weatherboard or not, though I could always make something up later.

The side tanks might need shortening a bit to clear the smokebox area at least.

What do you all think? Surely there is room for improvement, or something I havent noticed that is glaringly off.

• Like 3

Well I just had to have a go at starting the superstructure, but without boiler tube, I was left to figure out the rear section.

I cant remember what photo I saw, but I did like the look of a rear water tank with perhaps a couple small side tanks rather than the long tanks I had in yesterdays mockup.

I decided to remove the splashers and increase the footplate height by a mil to cover the wheels and ensure theres flange clearance.

So a quick few hours with plastic leaves me with this.

post-21863-0-29022500-1489947323_thumb.jpg

The tank even has room for 7g of lead.

post-21863-0-03095700-1489947337_thumb.jpg

I might add some edging on the tank to give it a little better styling but it definitely will need a handbrake at some point.

Edited by Spitfire2865
  • Like 3

Two updates in one day!

Ive started on the side tanks. Decided to move what I had cut so far back a bit, turning the rear portion into part of the cab side/bunker. Might need to think of a novel solution to the lack of significant coal storage. With the front boiler sides exposed, I had to do somethint about the wheel splasher. Luckily when cutting off the spashers from the rear wheels I didnt destroy them, so I ended up reusing them on the front.

post-21863-0-86701200-1489974374_thumb.jpg

And the tank sides werent so easy.

post-21863-0-18301800-1489974385_thumb.jpg

Each being made of 10 pieces, they now locate positively against the raised footplate, the front spashers, and a couple offcuts glued to the footplate. When I get the boiler tube in place and finish the inside of the tanks, they each should mount nicely to the boiler and hold it in place.

Next thing to figure out is how I want the firebox to sit, where the backhead will be, and where I want the steam dome.

• Like 5

Well more progress on the freelance loco.

I bought a brass tube to make the boiler as the plastic tube I had was that awful plastic that doesnt glue to anything.

With the tube, I cut a slot in the bottom to clear the motor and gearbox, and slowly built up a saddle and firebox mount. The firebox overlay was card, and the smokebox overlay was plasticcard. Contact cement really helped with the smokebox overlay.

With the boiler fixed in position, I didnt like how short the tanks were, so I remade them using the frame from the first ones.

post-21863-0-69050400-1490409523_thumb.jpg

post-21863-0-06396900-1490409539_thumb.jpg

Im now not too crazy about how short the rear tank is, but dont want to remake the entire thing.

I have to consider if a larger footplate and simple back sheet would be better, or if rebuilding some sort of large rear structure would be good. Either another bunker or tank.

post-21863-0-16849900-1490409549_thumb.jpg

The backhead still unfinished. Didnt really look to recreate something specific, but just give the right look. Pipework and valves, glasses and gauges. Reverser to the right, small bunker to the left.

This isnt a small loco in many respects.

post-21863-0-32670600-1490409562_thumb.jpg

Compared to a Jinty, its taller and bulkier. Though I kinda like how ugly and unbalanced it is. Though what can you expect from trying to use an unmodified Bachmann Junior chassis. The footplate would have to be higher, the boiler would have to be larger.

Still have to work out how to make the dome and chimney.

• Like 3

Hope this makes some sembalance of sense of a possible idea:

Chimney: If you have a piece of rod of any material at suitable size, file the bottom to a suitable curve to match the smokebox, then glue a slither of plasticard into the curve, trim to square or circle shape. Depandant on how you want the base you could put some filler in where the rod meets the mounting plate and smooth to a curve

Dome: You could sandwich a load of plasticard into a lump (If you glue a load of layers together in one hit gently compress in a vice) and then get the files out and start curving to shape the dome, and the curve for where it will meet the boiler. Would take a bit of doing but might produce something useable?

Dave

Hope this makes some sembalance of sense of a possible idea:

Chimney: If you have a piece of rod of any material at suitable size, file the bottom to a suitable curve to match the smokebox, then glue a slither of plasticard into the curve, trim to square or circle shape. Depandant on how you want the base you could put some filler in where the rod meets the mounting plate and smooth to a curve

Dome: You could sandwich a load of plasticard into a lump (If you glue a load of layers together in one hit gently compress in a vice) and then get the files out and start curving to shape the dome, and the curve for where it will meet the boiler. Would take a bit of doing but might produce something useable?

Dave

Ive actually gotten a dome made up from bits of a kit I was never going to build, but the chimney, I dont have any suitable rod. I have too small and too big. I tried building up a small one with a layer of epoxy clay but I couldnt get a flare to glue on, even with epoxy, then it crumbled to pieces.

I was considering just buying a chimney casting but I cant find anything suitable. I need something about 12mm from smokebox to flare to stay within loading gauge. Any thoughts?

chimney, piece of tube and a waher at either end , bend bottom washer to curvature of the boiler, use solder and then file to shape for flares etc. It is the Denny way.

Richard

As said, I dont have a brass tube the right size, and would rather not spend more money if avoidable. Its looking like I will have to.

Find an old loco body and cut it off that?

Sadly, I dont have any old locos lying around. I own 5, none of which have come cheaply.

Maybe an appeal on here would find someone who has an old body you could butcher? Ive got a scrap b12 body which is no good as the chimney is about 6mm tall sadly

Is there a technology department at your uni? if so might be worth a visit?

Is there a technology department at your uni? if so might be worth a visit?

Hahaha! There "was"! Then they gutted all we did have for lenthy renovations, removed public access to 3d printers, and otherwise ruined any benefit to actually attending!

My university is a joke. Ill probably design something for shapeways to print off.

But thanks for the offer.